Buddha's wife (wives)?

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
DooDoot

Re: Buddha's wife (wives)?

Post by DooDoot »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:29 pm if one can't enter jhana at will, then he can be tempted.. that's all I can say
whatever u say is unrelated to what i post

it is obvious u did not read what i posted
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
JC938

Post by JC938 »

Buddha had only one wife, from my entire life of reading and watching. Even a Buddha series (search Buddha series) on youtube, he had only 1 wife.
Pulsar

Post by Pulsar »

Caodemarte wrote
Just as some people wanted the Buddha to have had a wife or wives and a son (and then assumed that he must have had) some people (including myself) want the Buddha not to have left his wife or wives and child and would like to assume he had none. Neither imposition of our culturally derived preferences will tell us what historically happened. They will tell us about ourselves, how our preferences shape our perceptions, and why we should take our beliefs lightly.
I find your comments fascinating, in the most meaningful way.
Thank you for being you, to shed light to the world, the worlds of limited minds, limited by their own cultural and their own sexual baggage. These mental proliferations are, like those of the the man who saw Asuras escape via a lily stalk.
And most of the things written about Buddha and his relationship with Yasodhara only reflect, the minds of those who wrote the commentaries.
Nowhere in the sutta pitaka does Buddha speak of a necklace he gave his wife. Leaving this aside, he never spoke of stuff like "When I was married, this and that happened"
Did Buddha leave secret messages for those who commented about him.
45vows wrote T
he 佛本行集經 (T3n0190) describes a 'dimmly lite love chamber' that the prince had. Samuel Beal's translation says "thus did the prince pass his time with the beautiful woman of his harem, and recive every possible pleasure "
The Chinese express their personal preferences, "dimly lit love chambers"? Seriously?
Buddhavamsa wrote
In the Buddhavamsa it notes that there were 40,000 beautiful women with Yasodhara (also called Bhaddakacca, and sometimes Rahulamata) as the wife.
It seems the other 39,999 might have been concubines - as there were presented to the prince by the Sakiyans.
It prefers its own exaggerations, or is good at multiplications.

Only thing I recall Buddha saying related to early life was
he saw people fight like fish in a drying pond?
Atthadanda sutta...https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/KN/S ... p4_15.html
Perhaps that was the only thing that impressed him in his youth, neither the wife nor the necklace. This I believe. That would be so like an aspirant for Buddhahood.
Sincerely :candle:
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

DNS wrote:Buddha's wife (wives)?
I think it's better to call as prince Siddhartha's wife rather than the Buddha's.
Pulsar

Post by Pulsar »

E care wrote
I think it's better to call as prince Siddhartha's wife rather than the Buddha's.
Just a peccadillo. Don't the Sarvastivadins say past, present, future all exist. What does the Theravadin say regarding this matter? Regarding Jhana they have a mulitplicity of views. Some say jhana was not invented by the Buddha. If so who invented jhana? Do they think it was the Mafia's invention?
With regard to the wife I think "Once a wife, always a wife"
If Yasodhara ever existed, she would always exist as Buddha's wife.
With love :candle:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I have moved the off-topic posts about jhana to the great Jhana thread starting here:
viewtopic.php?p=619559#p619559
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Pulsar wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:34 pm With regard to the wife I think "Once a wife, always a wife"
If Yasodhara ever existed, she would always exist as Buddha's wife.
But the texts never refer to her as "the Buddha's wife" or even "the Buddha's former wife". In Pali literature as a whole, by far the commonest designation for her is Rāhulamātā, "Rāhula's mother". Other names (or possibly epithets) are Bhaddakaccānā (in the suttas) and Yasodharā, Bimbā, Bimbādevī and Bimbāsundarī (in later texts).
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)