Christmas

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
Ceisiwr

Christmas

Post by Ceisiwr »

How will you be spending it?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Christmas

Post by Sam Vara »

Hectically. It's the busiest time of year for us, as my wife has to conduct lots of services. And the in-laws are staying (illegally!) as
Mother in law has just had an operation. And I will be commuting daily to feed their cat!

*Takes a big deep calm breath...*
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Not with family. If I visit my mother, I must pay AUD$2,800 for quarantine when i return home.

I started tonight by 3 hours alone at the beach, meditating & lying around in the dark, half naked. It was fun to be alone.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

umm :thinking: ... Xmas should be something special.

So, I will be spending it by not arguing on DWT :lol:

:heart:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
coconut

Post by coconut »

Spouse's family, although her mother tried to break the rules and invite more people than allowed, but we talked them out of it since there are a few people here with chronic immune system diseases and have compromised immune systems.

I'm not christian and I don't celebrate Christmas, and normally I don't go and my spouse takes the train instead, but I couldn't let her drive 8+ hours alone
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

coconut wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:14 pm
I'm not christian and I don't celebrate Christmas, and normally I don't go and my spouse takes the train instead, but I couldn't let her drive 8+ hours alone
I don’t think you have to be a Christian to join in, just not with the drinking or the excess food or worship. For me I spend it the same every year, with my parents.
coconut

Post by coconut »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:21 pm
I don’t think you have to be a Christian to join in, just not with the drinking or the excess food or worship. For me I spend it the same every year, with my parents.
Well, you don't have to be muslim to celebrate ramadan. Do you celebrate that too? To me it's just another ritual. If I wanted to visit someone I wouldn't need a holiday as an excuse. But whatever floats your boat.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

nothing... dec 25th is not real bday for former buddhist monk Jesus Christ who learnt morality and mundane understanding in India under buddhism lineage
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

coconut wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:30 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:21 pm
Well, you don't have to be muslim to celebrate ramadan. Do you celebrate that too? To me it's just another ritual. If I wanted to visit someone I wouldn't need a holiday as an excuse. But whatever floats your boat.
No, because I didn’t grow up in a Muslim household or a Muslim cultured household/country. My family are all either Christian or culturally Christian and I’ve lived my entire life in a Welsh Christian culture. So, despite being a Buddhist I still celebrate it with them. Exchange gifts, share a meal and play games. It takes nothing away from my practice, there is giving and I get to spend some quality time with the family (I usually see more of my extended family at Christmas). It is of course a ritual, but rituals have their place.
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

confusedlayman wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:31 pm nothing... dec 25th is not real bday for former buddhist monk Jesus Christ who learnt morality and mundane understanding in India under buddhism lineage
There is no evidence that Jesus was a Buddhist monk. More a rather eccentric Rabbi.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:40 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:31 pm nothing... dec 25th is not real bday for former buddhist monk Jesus Christ who learnt morality and mundane understanding in India under buddhism lineage
There is no evidence that Jesus was a Buddhist monk. More a rather eccentric Rabbi.
look the missing years in bible.. where do u think he went? after he returned he performed miracles which at that time instruction available only from buddhist monasteries and his precepts were similar to buddhism to some extent.

however it seems he left the training after gaining some mundane powers and basic understanding of morality because he taught soul theory
Last edited by confusedlayman on Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

confusedlayman wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:46 pm
look the missing years in bible.. where do u think he went? after he returned he performed miracles which at that time instruction available only from buddhist monasteries and his precepts were similar to buddhism to some extent.
I think the key about the missing years is that we don’t know what he did ;)
coconut

Post by coconut »

Rabbis in Jerusalem believe Jesus was a Rabbi who was a levite and had access to "mind words" only accessible to high priests, and left the temple exploited his super normal powers which was against the rules for high priests. You can see Rabbis talking about it in this video:

Modern Judaism is more zoroastrian than original judaism though.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

look the missing years in bible.. where do u think he went?
Er....Nazareth?
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Sam Vara wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:11 pm
look the missing years in bible.. where do u think he went?
Er....Nazareth?
“and they hated him, for he told the truth”