Any Hindu here?

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
JC938

Any Hindu here?

Post by JC938 »

Hi,

I want to know what prayers do hindus do. Like what scripture/pooja do hindus read daily, is it bhagvad gita? I know we read english version of it, but I'm talking about the sanskrit version where you just chant everyday and teach kids to do as a routine. I want to know which poojas are there. I want to do some but I don't know which, I'm thinking if it's bhagavad gita and do you read all 700 verses? How can I start reading and learning.

Thanks
Inedible

Re: Any Hindu here?

Post by Inedible »

Hinduism is complicated. The term is modern in that it is only from around the 19th century. You have the Vedas and Upanishads as the religious texts. The Bhagavad Gita is a section of the Mahabharata and it is Krishna explaining different categories of Yoga.

If you want a suggestion, I'd like to offer Kashmir Shaivism. The Shiva Sutras are very good.

And you can't really go wrong with chanting the Gayatri Mantra, although there are a lot of varieties of it. The main Gayatri is both a prayer and a mantra. It is for increasing all good qualities and reducing all bad qualities. It is for gaining Enlightenment, so the lesser attainments come with automatically.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

JC938 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:06 pm Hi,

I want to know what prayers do hindus do. Like what scripture/pooja do hindus read daily, is it bhagvad gita? I know we read english version of it, but I'm talking about the sanskrit version where you just chant everyday and teach kids to do as a routine. I want to know which poojas are there. I want to do some but I don't know which, I'm thinking if it's bhagavad gita and do you read all 700 verses? How can I start reading and learning.

Thanks
there are lots of it and usually authentic brahmins do chanting everyday but mostly other caste dont do chanting much and they pray when they need any help from god.

Since even when I am born in brahmin family and they told do rituals sometimes, I dont do, I dont know and I know its not useful in anyway even before I come to buddhism. now I dont look back as I am under refuge of one and only real teachings... all other religious teachings are just lip recitation and morality with wrong view...
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

JC938 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:06 pm How can I start reading and learning?
Moksha is not Nirvana
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

It is easier to get people to change if you are willing to understand where they are and what they are trying to do. Moksha may not be an ideal final goal, but it is a good direction to move toward for someone who just wants to start moving. Course correction can come later.
JC938

Post by JC938 »

Thanks everyone.

By the way, moksha and nirvana is the same I believe, like nirvana, moksha, mukti, salvation, nibbana, these are all same, just different names.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

JC938 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:54 am Thanks everyone.

By the way, moksha and nirvana is the same I believe, like nirvana, moksha, mukti, salvation, nibbana, these are all same, just different names.
What Buddha describe as Mibbana is not the same Nirvana describe by other sects. You have to understand the deeper meaning of each religions.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
StrivingforMonkhood

Post by StrivingforMonkhood »

Buddha was a yogi, so we cannot say yogis cannot be enlightened.

While I hold to the teachings of the Holy Buddha, I believe that moksha is real, and that it does signify enlightenment.

Buddhists and yogis share much in common.

In the end, what the Buddhists call emptiness is what god consciousness (one with all) is in Yogi spirituality.

So, yes, while I am inclined to the Buddhist teachings, I will not pass judgment on yogi spirituality, as it's too close to Buddhism in many ways. OF course, with all all other religions, I will say that they have a completely wrong view about reality.

Peace and enlightenment.
May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness

We are already Buddha