Celibacy and motivation

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
confusedlayman

Re: Celibacy and motivation

Post by confusedlayman »

SteRo wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:24 am
confusedlayman wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:22 am
SteRo wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:21 am

As I said "You are young of age and it would be a pity if in future years you would regret decisions taken based on naive belief in youth."

This forum is just another of these internet "filter bubbles", you know. People can fall prey to the weirdest beliefs in internet filter bubbles.
I refer to sutta and sometimes vism to clarify .. I dont believe anything
You shouldn't even believe sutta or vism. Don't give up critical thinking.
ok I won't
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

It is one thing to use inspirations from sutta and vism to lead a life at ease and it is another thing to ruin one's life due to religious belief.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Coming back to topic
SteRo wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:49 am [Enjoyment of sexuality] isn't inherently bad or harmful. Find out with right insight whether it supports or obstructs continuous ease in your case and if it obstructs then find out what it is in your sphere of experience that makes sensuality obstructive.
The thought behind that is this:
Sense stimuli that are experienced to be "good" tend to affect the whole sphere of experience because this "good" - like a bodily pain or a sudden loud noise - feels very real. Thus apprehending habits are supported and nutured to grow even stronger. This causes corresponding memories and 'thinking about' which again might support and nuture apprehending habits. Thus the sentiments 'I am' and 'I and the world' are established and strenghtened through sensual pleasures of a sphere of experience that isn't adjusted to reality. The enjoyment as such is just enjoyment, just cittas arising and ceasing but would there occur an intention to enjoy without 'I am' having been conditioned through earlier enjoyment from the outset?
Intentional renunciation isn't any better and has the same effects on apprehending habits.
This expression must not be believed because only insight can reveal the conditionality within a sphere of experience. And of course this expression does not comply with theravada doctrine. So if one can affirm theravada doctrine through own insight then that's perfect as well and just reveals that own lineage matches theravada doctrine.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
auto

Post by auto »

SteRo wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:59 pm Coming back to topic
SteRo wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:49 am [Enjoyment of sexuality] isn't inherently bad or harmful. Find out with right insight whether it supports or obstructs continuous ease in your case and if it obstructs then find out what it is in your sphere of experience that makes sensuality obstructive.
Sense stimuli that are experienced to be "good" tend to affect the whole sphere of experience because this "good" - like a bodily pain or a sudden loud noise - feels very real. Thus apprehending habits are supported and nutured to grow even stronger. This causes corresponding memories and 'thinking about' which again might support and nuture apprehending habits. Thus the sentiments 'I am' and 'I and the world' are established and strenghtened through sensual pleasures of a sphere of experience that isn't adjusted to reality. The enjoyment as such is just enjoyment, just cittas arising and ceasing but would there occur an intention to enjoy without 'I am' having been conditioned through earlier enjoyment from the outset?
Intentional renunciation isn't any better and has the same effects on apprehending habits.
This expression must not be believed because only insight can reveal the conditionality within a sphere of experience. And of course this expression does not comply with theravada doctrine. So if one can affirm theravada doctrine through own insight then that's perfect as well and just reveals that own lineage matches theravada doctrine.
Can someone understand and tell what this guy is saying?
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

auto wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:50 pm
I think he tells dont apprehend I or something
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
auto

Post by auto »

confusedlayman wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:59 pm I think he tells dont apprehend I or something
Thanks. I have wondered if he is talking in third person where actually would be suitable to talk in 1st person.

I am walking <-- first person
'I' is not apprehended = I is walking <-- third person
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

confusedlayman wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:59 pm
auto wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:50 pm

I think he tells dont apprehend I or something
Not at all. Read it:
Cleared. αδόξαστος.