Get out of the box (WRONG).

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
JC938

Get out of the box (WRONG).

Post by JC938 »

Hi,

I use to hangout on forums related to make money online, also alot of success gurus and almost everyone I have ever heard by worldly people, also alot of motivation videos, they would say, get out of the box, get out of your comfort zone, and stuff like that in order to achieve success. But I feel today, how wrong they were. You should always stay within your confort zone, live within your maryada (hindi) (modesty), don't get out of your aukaat (hindi) (status). If you get out of your comfort zone or get out of the box, you may achieve success abit but you will never be happy and get on the wrong path.

Just want to say it, thanks for reading.
JohnK

Re: Get out of the box (WRONG).

Post by JohnK »

Thanks for the post.To add a few thoughts:
For success in Dhamma, it appears that one must use discernment to know which "boxes" to get out of and which to get in. Lesson from the hawk and quail -- out of sense attachment and into mindfulness:
In one who wanders into what is not his proper range and is the territory of others, Māra gains an opening, Māra gains a foothold. And what, for a monk, is not his proper range and is the territory of others? The five strings of sensuality...

“Wander, monks, in what is your proper range, your own ancestral territory. In one who wanders in what is his proper range, his own ancestral territory, Māra gains no opening, Māra gains no foothold. And what, for a monk, is his proper range, his own ancestral territory? The four establishings of mindfulness...
https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/SN/SN47_6.html
It is typically not in one's comfort zone to practice Dhamma (goes against the stream), so in some cases one surely must get out of one's comfort zone for success in Dhamma. Again, one should use discernment to know if staying in one's comfort zone is in line with the Dhamma or not. Wanting to stay in a "box" sounds like attachment to some fabrication; staying in "proper range" sounds like good advice (especially given who gave the instruction!) -- developing discernment allows one to better distinguish. That's my sense of it anyway.

Edit: For many people, staying in their comfort zone means responding to vedana with their unexamined underlying tendencies of grasping and aversion, which as we know just creates dukkha -- ironic.
:anjali:
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
cappuccino

Re: Get out of the box (WRONG).

Post by cappuccino »

JC938 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:43 am they would say … get out of your comfort zone … to achieve success. But I feel today, how wrong they were.
Padhana Sutta: The Great Struggle

:)