different class in western world

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
confusedlayman

different class in western world

Post by confusedlayman »

in india we have four class... brahmin class, fighter (warrior) caste, merchant class and lower class

what about uk, usa or Europe? is there any class?

when I was in uk last year, I can't find any difference between lifestyle of Tesco bill giving lady and people who are buying lots of products... I think everyone is spawned with unlimited potential unlike in india where u are born (re-spawned) with different limitations set by social regulation!
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Ceisiwr

Re: different class in western world

Post by Ceisiwr »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:23 pm in india we have four class... brahmin class, fighter (warrior) caste, merchant class and lower class

when I was in uk last year, I can't find any difference between lifestyle of Tesco bill giving lady and people who are buying lots of products... I think everyone is spawned with unlimited potential unlike in india where u are born (re-spawned) with different limitations set by social regulation!
In the U.K. we still have the monarchy and aristocrats. Lords, Barons and so on. They are the elite upper class. Apart from them people tend to think in terms of upper class, middle class and working class which is usually thought of in terms of profession and wealth.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

In New Zealand, the classes are basically how much money you have. My neighbour across the road is the Minister of Health for the whole country, and we say hello when I see him gardening his garden.
I think we are lucky the social system is quite flat.
Disciple

Post by Disciple »

Classes exist but there's good social mobility for those willing to put the work in.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

In Australia, we have workers in the mining industry that make lots of money and move into nice neighborhoods, with their feral habits. :roll:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

In the U.S., we don't have caste system, it is more socioeconomic classes, major ones being:
1. Upper
2. Upper-Middle
3. Middle
4. Lower-middle/working class
5. Lower/poverty level

It is determined mostly by income and wealth, but also by title. For example, a wealthy drug boss might have the same wealth as someone in Upper class, but not the same status of respect by society, so will fall some place lower.

Anyone can reach any of the levels, at least that is the goal, with hard work and education, although there are sometimes some limitations due to some caste like features of Western society. For example, a renowned physician makes a large salary, might send his kids to the best private schools, which prepared them for the best universities, they get in, graduate and get accepted to the same medical school that he went to, gaining privilege for 'legacy alumni' special treatment with admissions (yes, that happens).
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

Classes exist everywhere. they just arent formalized the way they are in india. In America you can argue theres ruling class/elites from prominent families (Bushes, Kennedys, Waltons etc.) kinda like American nobility, High society class/Business elites (lesser known people who still send thier kids to prep schools), Hollywood stars/pop culture celebrities (somewhat uniquely American) and then from there it really goes down by occupation maybe something like wealthy landlords then working professionals (doctors, lawyers, engineers, major business jobs), middle income people like the secretary at a good company, and then working poor who work in service jobs and often no higher education. Something along those lines.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

In the UK, there is fierce academic debate about what classes there are, and how they are defined. It basically depends on what eminent sociologists you think make the most sense. The Office of National Statistics base their classification on market situation (i.e. how much you can sell your labour for) and the advertising industry are increasingly interested in grouping people by what and how they consume.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:23 pm in india we have four class... brahmin class, fighter (warrior) caste, merchant class and lower class

Difficult. I would prefer the marxist-materialist two-class scheme but it's obviously outdated because ownership of production facilities can't be assigned as easily and consistently as it's been possible in 19th and early 20th century. Modern capitalism in its appearance as social-liberal democracies needs detailed analysis.
But the marxist-materialist analytical approach applies to India as well. I guess the classes you suggest for India are based on an outdated view on society.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Zenny

Post by Zenny »

The UK and every country in earth is divided into classes. The ruling class and the working class. There are variations on these.
But they are all based on money,power,weaponry and position.
All the general ideology comes from the ruling class,which is one reason we have the chattering mind!
Buddha transcended the ruling class by disassociating himself from the monarchy,and Meditating the ruling class chattering ideology out of his psyche. And it's something that we should all strive to achieve. A lot of what is accepted as fact,science,tradition or consensus is in fact ruling class ideology. And I see a lot of in traditional buddhism. The tainted buddhism of the ruling elite.
Non buddhist Zen Practitioner.
Focus!
Dweller

Post by Dweller »

Kshatriyas are politicians and great landowners. Even in ancient India this could be the case, not just soldiers. In modern era, soldiers are of lower status, more like ancient Shudra.

There are no Brahmanas in the West, no religious order is getting status of this varna.

Vaishyas are those having their own business and don't need to work for others.

Shudras are those working for others. They can be anywhere from poor to rich.

People being treated like Dalits can be those very poor and homeless. In some cases also minorities like Romani people in Europe.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Zenny wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:01 pm The UK and every country in earth is divided into classes. The ruling class and the working class. There are variations on these.
But they are all based on money,power,weaponry and position.
All the general ideology comes from the ruling class,which is one reason we have the chattering mind!
Buddha transcended the ruling class by disassociating himself from the monarchy,and Meditating the ruling class chattering ideology out of his psyche. And it's something that we should all strive to achieve. A lot of what is accepted as fact,science,tradition or consensus is in fact ruling class ideology. And I see a lot of in traditional buddhism. The tainted buddhism of the ruling elite.
Interesting. Zenny tries to creatively merge his marxist[-leninist] view of society with buddhism. :lol:
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

In Sri Lanka we called it cast system.
Even monks follow the cast system. A low cast person can't be ordained with the high class linage.
This is why I do not have much respect for our Buddhist monks because they do not follow even the basic Buddhist teaching.

This cast system is a curse for India and Sri Lanka. That is one reason why these two countries lagging behind. In India 20% of the population is wasted.

In the West there is wealth discrimination but it does not anybody becoming rich.
Prince Harry got married to a commoner.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

You missed the 5th group, the Dalits. Are they not Indian people?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:10 am
You missed the 5th group, the Dalits. Are they not Indian people?
And that is what he said lower class (caste)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”