Ideal Wife

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
DooDoot

Re: Ideal Wife

Post by DooDoot »

retrofuturist wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:40 am It's the six year wedding anniversary for me and my ideal wife today.
So your wife is a once-returner come non-returner or whatever. :shock:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
DooDoot wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:50 am So your wife is a once-returner come non-returner or whatever. :shock:
I could write a very imaginative and creative story saying she has been that since the age of seven. Would that suffice? :D

Honestly though... very good sila. 😎👌

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

So what should I look out for as an ideal husband, if I ever decided to have one?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:12 pm So what should I look out for as an ideal husband, if I ever decided to have one?
Suttas say the ideal husband:
E. A sympathetic husband: There are a number of conditions peculiar to a woman about which a husband should be considerate and to which he should respond with care and sympathy. They are:

She must be parted from her kin despite her young age to live with her husband's family: the husband should make her feel at home.

She has a monthly period, which sometimes causes vacillations in her physical and mental states: the husband needs to understand this.

She may be with child, at which times she needs special care and attention, both physical and mental.

She may give birth, which is an extremely painful and even life-threatening time: the husband should look after his wife as if her suffering were his own.

She must submit to the wants of her husband: the husband should not do just as he pleases, but appreciate her attention and respond to it thoughtfully.

(After S.IV.239)
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

DooDoot wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:14 pm
E. A sympathetic husband: There are a number of conditions peculiar to a woman about which a husband should be considerate and to which he should respond with care and sympathy. They are:

She must be parted from her kin despite her young age to live with her husband's family: the husband should make her feel at home.

She has a monthly period, which sometimes causes vacillations in her physical and mental states: the husband needs to understand this.

She may be with child, at which times she needs special care and attention, both physical and mental.

She may give birth, which is an extremely painful and even life-threatening time: the husband should look after his wife as if her suffering were his own.

She must submit to the wants of her husband: the husband should not do just as he pleases, but appreciate her attention and respond to it thoughtfully.

(After S.IV.239)
Im interested in reading this full sutta. can you provide a link?
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

I think morality is the cornerstone for any successful relationship. Also some temperaments match better than others.

I remember in 2012, i traveled to India. In Varanasi, i met an interesting man and we had a conversation. He offered his services to help me find a suitable wife!!

What would be the ideal wife for someone who hates commitment? :popcorn:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

TRobinson465 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:06 pm
DooDoot wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:14 pm (After S.IV.239)
Im interested in reading this full sutta. can you provide a link?
The commentary of P.A. Payutto I posted is an extrapolation of SN 37.3 rather than a literal teaching.

Other relevant more literal suttas are AN 4.55, AN 4.53 and DN 31.
"In five ways, young householder, should a wife as the West be ministered to by a husband:

(i) by being courteous to her,
(ii) by not despising her,
(iii) by being faithful to her,
(iv) by handing over authority to her,
(v) by providing her with adornments.

"The wife thus ministered to as the West by her husband shows her compassion to her husband in five ways:

(i) she performs her duties well,
(ii) she is hospitable to relations and attendants
(iii) she is faithful,
(iv) she protects what he brings,
(v) she is skilled and industrious in discharging her duties.

"In these five ways does the wife show her compassion to her husband who ministers to her as the West. Thus is the West covered by him and made safe and secure.

DN 31

Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:12 pm So what should I look out for as an ideal husband, if I ever decided to have one?
Someone who shuns the synthetic a priori like the plague.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Sam Vara wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:24 pm
Someone who shuns the synthetic a priori like the plague.
:rofl:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Bundokji wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:23 pm
What would be the ideal wife for someone who hates commitment? :popcorn:
A doll perhaps ? .... try Googling "Bodybuilder weds his 'sex doll' !

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Aloka wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:40 pm A doll perhaps ? .... try Googling "Bodybuilder weds his 'sex doll' !
One can be sure that she wont complain whatever he does!
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

TRobinson465 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:54 pm Visakha …
There are cases like Visakha, who was a sotapanna at 7 years… after, she got married. Even after… Visakha will spend a long time in samsara - but only in very good conditions.

Thus sotapanna and sakadagami can still enjoy sex. Nevertheless, they are on the path that gradually wears away sense desire…