David Reynolds and "Karmic Minimalism".

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

David Reynolds and "Karmic Minimalism".

Post by Sam Vara »

Now that he has disrobed, David Reynolds is thinking a lot about how to incorporate some kind of Buddhist practice into lay life. I liked this post:
https://politicallyincorrectdharma.blog ... -west.html

and it raises questions which I have seen here on DW over the years.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Re: David Reynolds and "Karmic Minimalism".

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

The zen master's responses of just "Is that so?" remind me of this?

viewtopic.php?p=523493#p523493

:jumping:

:heart:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
Bundokji

Re: David Reynolds and "Karmic Minimalism".

Post by Bundokji »

One can think of it as Karmic Maximalism if one is to follow a path that is still kamma neither white nor black but eliminates both. The result would happen naturally somehow. If my highest priority is to contemplate, study and meditate, then what kind of life style i can build around that.

Strangely, i had a conversation with my colleagues about a similar subject two days ago. I argued about the benefits of having "non-doing" as a main reference to construct activities, and how our actions become more purposive and to the point when we have the right reference. There is no sense of fulfillment behind performing a task except finishing it and returning to the state of non-doing. I also drew parallels between having the wrong reference and the sense of boredom most people experience, and how this sense of boredom turns changing a place or activity into a "meaningful difference" that almost everyone seeks. They listened with some interest, but then habitually grabbed their phones to keep themselves busy.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.