New Book by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
Coëmgenu

Re: New Book by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu

Post by Coëmgenu »

un8- wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:20 pmI found a similar one by Ven Punnaji, check it out, he has similar views

on page 34 (link below)
There was a brief period of time when I was nearly a Puññajist myself. IMO, of the secular-style teachers, his re-defining of DO is the most internally coherent and matched to the Pāli suttas. I don't agree with it, but acknowledge its coherency.
I once met a traveller from an antique land who said that two vast and trunkless legs of stone stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand, half sunk, a shattered visage lies. On the pedestal these words appear: "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings. Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair." Nothing beside remains.
(paraphrase of Percy Shelley)
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:13 pm
un8- wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:20 pmI found a similar one by Ven Punnaji, check it out, he has similar views

on page 34 (link below)
There was a brief period of time when I was nearly a Puññajist myself. IMO, of the secular-style teachers, his re-defining of DO is the most internally coherent and matched to the Pāli suttas. I don't agree with it, but acknowledge its coherency.
I think the key takeaway there is "re-defining".
“When there are words, there is the fetter of birth and death. When words do not exist, there is nirvāṇa. Those who have words have birth, death, arising and cessation; those who have no words have no birth, no death, no arising and no cessation.”

EĀ 30:1
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

bodom wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:37 pm He also said he agreed with 90% of the Visuddhimagga but again just not the 3 lifetime interpretation found therein.

:anjali:
I don't think he said that...

In one of his Dhammatalk videos on YouTube, he literally said Visuddhimagga was wrong and only for the purpose of generating good merits that continues the Samsara. While Buddhadasa's method was better than Visuddhimagga as he said. He also actively criticised Bhandatacariya Buddhaghosa Thera's for his description of supernatural events such Devas, Brahmas, Iddhis etc.

I think he never read Visuddhimagga properly. :roll:
"They take untruth for truth; they take truth for untruth; such persons can never arrive at the truth, for they hold wrong views." - Dhammapada 1:11

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." - Proverbs 18:2
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Ontheway wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:04 pm
bodom wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:37 pm He also said he agreed with 90% of the Visuddhimagga but again just not the 3 lifetime interpretation found therein.

In one of his Dhammatalk videos on YouTube, he literally said Visuddhimagga was wrong and only for the purpose of generating good merits that continues the Samsara. While Buddhadasa's method was better than Visuddhimagga as he said. He also actively criticised Bhandatacariya Buddhaghosa Thera's for his description of supernatural events such Devas, Brahmas, Iddhis etc.

I think he never read Visuddhimagga properly. :roll:
even buddha spoke of devas.. so what?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
bodom

Post by bodom »

Ontheway wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:04 pm

Except he did and he actually said 95 percent of the Visuddhimagga is useful not 90. You can find this in Ajahn Buddhadasa's book Under the Bodhi Tree translated by one of his senior students:
Ajahn Buddhadāsa both acknowledged the tremendous contribution that Ven. Buddhaghosa made to Theravāda Buddhism and criticized some of the conservative interpretations that this dominant medieval Buddhist teacher represents: “Ninety-five percent of the Visuddhimagga is useful; five percent of it should be thrown out.”
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Atulya

Post by Atulya »

Hi,
Please let me know from where I can purchase this book?

Regards,
Atul
bodom

Post by bodom »

Atulya wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:05 am Hi,
Please let me know from where I can purchase this book?

Regards,
Atul
Hi Atulya

It will be available from the publisher Shambala and other places online January 25th 2022. A bit of a wait yet.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB