Dhamma on Zoom: welcome

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
robertk

Dhamma on Zoom: welcome

Post by robertk »

Met on zoom with the venerable Dhammanando again today.
For tomorrow you are all invited:

Robert Kirk is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Robert Kirk's Zoom Meeting
Time: Apr 18, 2020 02:45 PM Riyadh time(UTC +3hours)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us04web.zoom.us/j/3387441540

Meeting ID: 338 744 1540
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Re: Dhamma on Zoom: welcome

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

robertk wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:19 pm Met on zoom with the venerable Dhammanando again today.
Great!
❤️
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

This is a great idea!

:bow: :bow: :bow:
_/|\_
SDC

Post by SDC »

I promise not to talk about moments if I come... :rofl:
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Is that video or audio conference call?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
robertk

Post by robertk »

Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:23 pm Is that video or audio conference call?
Zoom works with video or audio. However my computer doesn't have a webcam so I will be only audio until I can find one that can be delivered. All shops are closed.

Anyway you can join with audio or cam. Or even just using the chat.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Excellent! This will give me an excuse to shave and clean up! :tongue:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

robertk wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:19 pm Met on zoom with the venerable Dhammanando again today.

Join Zoom Meeting

OK, I'll give it a go. 11:45pm over here, though... :tongue:

:heart:
Mike
robertk

Post by robertk »

mikenz66 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:35 pm

Join Zoom Meeting

OK, I'll give it a go. 11:45pm over here, though... :tongue:

:heart:
Mike
wow. On a future date we can make it a bit earlier.
robertk

Post by robertk »

Thanks so much to Nicolas , Mikenz, Roxanne and Venerable Dhammanando .
A really warm meeting today and so many interesting points.
Next meeting is Monday

Time: Apr 20, 2020 01:30 PM Riyadh (UTC +3)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/3387441540

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

It was lovely! Thank you, Robert, for setting it up. I'll try to make it on Monday.
dhamma follower

Post by dhamma follower »

Greeting Robert,

That's a great thing to do.

It would be nice if you can post the audio recordings of the meetings for those who missed it, like me :-)

Many thanks & best regards,

D.F
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Totally forgot :jumping:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
robertk

Post by robertk »

dhamma follower wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:51 am Greeting Robert,

That's a great thing to do.

It would be nice if you can post the audio recordings of the meetings for those who missed it, like me :-)

Many thanks & best regards,

D.F
I didn't record it DF. But I give some points.
Mikenz explained some aspects of Nananandana's books. He sent us this nice story :
The Chess Game
Nibbana Sermon 27:
PDF: https://seeingthroughthenet.net/wp-cont ... ev_1.1.pdf
HTML: https://seeingthroughthenet.net/wp-cont ... dstilled27
Let us go for a homely illustration to familiarize ourselves with the facts we have related so far. Two friends are seen drawing something together on a board with two kinds of paints. Let us have a closer look. They are painting a chess board. Now the board is chequered. Some throw-away chunks of wood are also painted for the pieces. So the board and pieces are ready.

Though they are the best of friends and amicably painted the chessboard, the game of chess demands two sides - the principle of duality. They give in to the demand and confront each other in a playful mood. A hazy idea of victory and defeat, another duality, hovers above them. But they are playing the game just for fun, to while away the time. Though it is for fun, there is a competition. Though there is a competition, it is fun.

While the chess-game is in progress, a happy-go-lucky benefactor comes by and offers a handsome prize for the prospective winner, to enliven the game. From now onwards, it is not just for fun or to while away the time that the two friends are playing chess. Now that the prospect of a prize has aroused greed in them, the innocuous game becomes a tussle for a prize.

Worthless pieces dazzle with the prospect of a prize. But just then, there comes a pervert killjoy, who shows a threatening weapon and adds a new rule to the game. The winner will get the prize all right, but the loser he will kill with his deadly weapon.

So what is the position now? The sportive spirit is gone. It is now a struggle for dear life. The two friends are now eying each other as an enemy. It is no longer a game, but a miserable struggle to escape death.

We do not know, how exactly the game ended. But let us hold the post mortem all the same. We saw how those worthless chunks of wood picked up to serve as pieces on the chessboard, received special recognition once they took on the paint. They represented two sides.

With the prospect of a prize, they got animated in the course of the game, due to cravings, conceits and views in the minds of the two players. Those impulses were so overwhelming that especially after the death knell sounded, the whole chess board became the world for these two friends. Their entire attention was on the board - a life and death struggle.

But this is only one aspect of our illustration. The world, in fact, is a chessboard, where an unending chess game goes on. Let us look at the other aspect. Now, for the arahant, the whole world appears like a chessboard. That is why the arahant Adhimutta, when the bandits caught him while passing through a forest and got ready to kill him, uttered the following instructive verse, which we had quoted earlier too.

Tiṇakaṭṭhasamaṃ lokaṃ,
yadā paññāya passati,
mamattaṃ so asaṃvindaṃ,
'natthi me'ti na socati.[890]

"When one sees with wisdom,
This world as comparable to grass and twigs,
Not finding anything worthwhile holding onto as mine,
One does not grieve, saying: 'O! I have nothing!'"

Venerable Adhimutta's fearless challenge to the bandit chief was extraordinary: You may kill me if you like, but the position is this: When one sees with wisdom the entire world, the world of the five aggregates, as comparable to grass and twigs, one does not experience any egoism and therefore does not grieve the loss of one's life.
Ven. Dhammanando answered my 4 years old's question , "why do we have to be kind?"
He also said the couple of times he visited the foundation in bangkok he never saw laypeople hitting mosquitos - something not common in most wats . And brought up a book he was reading about Theravada in vietnam..

Nicolas did mention U Tejaniya - and I had recently picked up one of books and found it quite good - I believe you have studied with him in the past? Nikolas gave a excerpt where the Ven. mentioned that there doesn't need to be any special effort to hear sound - and this is the level of effort that is needed for "meditation" (sorry Nikolas I am trying to remember exactly what you said so this may be a poor paraphrase).
Anyway I totally like the point- as effort can easily be wrong effort - what needs too be understood is that sati only arises because of conditions- not because of wanting (this is me saying now).

Another topic was the advantages of having so many Pali texts and translations easily available on the web. Although I said I worried my memory was weakening as years ago I knew where a quote was in a book - but now I just rely on google - and make no effort to remember. Also back in the day I had to go to thailand and meet a number of teachers and slowly sift out what was right (or what I thought was right) - it all seems easier now. But then again now there is such a mass of information available that people still need to sift through it , albeit using the internet.

I said my current reading is on the Patthana - the last book of the Abhidhamma - all about conditionality and anatta.