Craving

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
adosa

Craving

Post by adosa »

Is it any level of insight, whatsoever, to see and experience what a pain in the arse craving really is?

adosa
"To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas" - Dhammapada 183
Ben

Re: Craving

Post by Ben »

Greetings Adosa,
I think its an important realization and certainly a sign of progress on the path. But, I don't think it actually coincides with one of the vipassana naanas. The only cure to craving being a pain in the arse is to continue practicing!
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
chownah

Post by chownah »

adosa,
Aren't you realizing the first of the four noble truths?...or maybe the second one?...I get them confused sometimes.
chownah
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Adosa

Chownah is right- it is a development of panna (wisdom) at the level of Right view (supramundane at that) - an essential precursor to stream entry. The latter leads to practicing 'like your head is on fire' - knowing why you need to go about it like that, is your right view. As the Noble eightfold path reaches it's culmination, you will begin to develop the insight knowledges as you tear apart the veils of delusion. :anjali:

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
2600htz

Post by 2600htz »

seeing dependent origination?
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

adosa wrote:Is it any level of insight, whatsoever, to see and experience what a pain in the arse craving really is?

adosa
Definitely! The problem I have is seeing it and then forgetting it. ;-)

Spiny
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Spiny

'Insight, insight, what is insight?' :jumping:

Insight, technically, refers to one of the 16 insight knowledges. These insight knoweldges (vipassana nana) are embedded in the forumlation of the seven visuddhi or purifications:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... gress.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, 'insight', used more loosely, might also mean 'a deeper understanding/realization into some matter of the mind'. The idea that craving leads to suffering is such an insight (and not one of the 16 insight knowledges). It might also be useful to know that the looser definition probably comes to us from psychotherapy, where breakthroughs in therapy may come with insight.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
ground

Post by ground »

adosa wrote:Is it any level of insight, whatsoever, to see and experience what a pain in the arse craving really is?
It's sort of frightening where craving actually is at work ... in practicing, in non-practicing, in appearances of dhamma, in appearances on non-dhamma, in the aggregates. It appears as if there is inextricable involvement and every counter effort just again is manifestation of craving and contributes to its endless perpetuation.

One is so accustomed to craving that it is rarely perceived.

Kind regards
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

rowyourboat wrote:...Insight, technically, refers to one of the 16 insight knowledges. These insight knoweldges (vipassana nana) are embedded in the forumlation of the seven visuddhi or purifications:
I'm sure you're right. But I'm grateful for insights at any level. ;-)

Spniy