Meditation Visa for Myanmar in Bangkok

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Manuela

Meditation Visa for Myanmar in Bangkok

Post by Manuela »

Hello everybody, I have a question regarding obtaining a meditation visa for Myanmar in Bangkok. I am intending to go on a Vipassana course in Mandalay and was told to get a meditation visa, NOT a tourist visa. Does anybody has some recent experiences getting a meditation visa in the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok? I received an invitation letter by the Dhamma center. Are there any other documents beside passport copies, passport photos and visa application necessary for the application process? And most important question, how long does it take? Thanks for every answer ... and kind regards Manuela
Ben

Re: Meditation Visa for Myanmar in Bangkok

Post by Ben »

Greetings Manuela,
I assume you are attending a long-course from beginning of Dec? You better get cracking!
I attended a long retreat at Dhamma Mandala in Mandalay nearly one year ago. Fortunately for me, there is an Embassy in Australia. However, the process of getting a religious/meditation visa was long and drawn out and took over 4 months. Meditation visa applications are sent to Naypyidaw for processing.
One guy from Japan who also did the same course got a tourist visa bu overstayed his visa. Doing it that way isn't recommended as the authorities can ask you to leave on the same day your course finishes. In his case they didn't but he was still charged the $US3 per day overstay charge.
If you look around the meditation forum you should see a thread I started which details the requirements for a Myanmar meditation visa. (Here it is: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) I also recommend that you make contact with the Union of Myanmar Embassy in Bangkok to find out specific instructions and time frame for visa application processing.
Let me know how you get on (here on this thread or privately via PM).
kind regaerds,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Manuela wrote:Hello everybody, I have a question regarding obtaining a meditation visa for Myanmar in Bangkok. I am intending to go on a Vipassana course in Mandalay and was told to get a meditation visa, NOT a tourist visa. Does anybody has some recent experiences getting a meditation visa in the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok? I received an invitation letter by the Dhamma center. Are there any other documents beside passport copies, passport photos and visa application necessary for the application process? And most important question, how long does it take? Thanks for every answer ... and kind regards Manuela
The Burmese government changes the rules whenever they want. Twelve years ago the BKK embassy was issuing meditation visas on the same day, recently I heard they weren't issuing them at all and that people needed to do it through the embassy that covers their home country.

It would be good if the meditation centre offered you some advice, barring that contact the embassy concerned, I just wouldn't recommend arriving in Bangkok expecting to get a visa then and there unless you've got some concrete information, hopefully somebody here can give you that.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
hollymichelle

Post by hollymichelle »

Hello Manuela, were you able to get your meditation visa in Bangkok? Last January (2011) I went to the Myanmar embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and was able to get a meditation visa the same day, it seems they are the quickest in processing those types of visas.

I am currently in Thailand as well and will need to apply again for a meditation visa for a retreat in Burma in February. Not sure if I will be able to do it from Bangkok or will need to go to Malaysia again. If you have any experience with the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok, please let me know. Thanks!
effort

Post by effort »

anybody has news about meditation visa procedure in bangkok or kuala lampur? i dont know to apply from thailand or malaysia? i could stay enough in thailand but just a few days in malaysia.
dhamma follower

Post by dhamma follower »

Manuela wrote:Hello everybody, I have a question regarding obtaining a meditation visa for Myanmar in Bangkok. I am intending to go on a Vipassana course in Mandalay and was told to get a meditation visa, NOT a tourist visa. Does anybody has some recent experiences getting a meditation visa in the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok? I received an invitation letter by the Dhamma center. Are there any other documents beside passport copies, passport photos and visa application necessary for the application process? And most important question, how long does it take? Thanks for every answer ... and kind regards Manuela
Until October last year, it was possible to obtain meditation visa in Bangkok and officially it took two working days. I don't know if it has changed since then. You might call the embassy to check the information.

Regards,
effort

Post by effort »

yes i'll call them, but people in internet said embassy usually wont answer the calls.

this is the most update information that i found:

http://dhammaword.wordpress.com/2011/07 ... la-lumpur/
Neinteresnayawe

Post by Neinteresnayawe »

Many thanks for sharing good info…!!!)
lyallben

Post by lyallben »

Hello, I just got a meditation visa in bangkok in early July. Have two photographs, a photocopy of your passport, thai baht to pay for it. You can get an application form either at the shop along the soi but now they have cars outside(the shops) so no need to walk .If you pay extra you can get the visa the same day (pick it up at 3pm) and an invitation letter from the centre and lots of patience. Maybe be an hour or so early.
0point

Post by 0point »

Getting the visa in Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur is easy.

Myanmar Embassy in Bangkok is located at the BTS Surasak

Visa application 9 am to 12 noon
Visa pick up 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm

Submit 5 items

1. Filled out application form (business/meditation visa is only 1page)
2. An invitation/sponsor letter from the meditation center
3. 2 passport fotos with a white background
4. copy of the passport ID page (there is a copy machine at the embassy,  charing 3 thai baht per page)
5. The original passport

Submit these items at counter 4 to receive a queuing card,
than go to queue at counter 1 for payment (they only accept thai baht)

2115 thai baht for same day pick up
1780 thai baht for next day pick up

Visa Pick up time is from 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm

In Kuala Lumpur the myanmar visa office is located at Masjid Jarmek LRT

Application time is from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm
Pick up time is 4 pm to 5 pm

Same requirements as in Bangkok
180 Malaysian ringgit for same day visa pick up

http://thabarwameditationcenter.wordpre ... tion-visa/