THE SNAKE TEMPLE in Penang, Malaysia.

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
yawares

THE SNAKE TEMPLE in Penang, Malaysia.

Post by yawares »

Dear members,

This Saturday, I'll take you all to the SNAKE TEMPLE in Penang, Malaysia.
Come fly with us..THE ROYAL ORCHID SERVICE with love as big as the sky (our slogan/advertisement) !!
Oh..no no no SNAKES on THAI INTER AIRWAYS !!!

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... t&y=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once we, Thai Inter Airways crews, flew to Kuala Lumpur,malaysia. It was such a short flight from Bangkok, we all were so eager to go sightseeing. We bought 1 day tour at our Hilton Hotel,our mini bus-tour took us to Penang.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... t&y=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The first stop was The Snake Temple, perhaps the only temple of its kind in the world. The temple is filled with the smoke of burning incense and a variety of pit vipers. The vipers are believed to be rendered harmless by the sacred smoke, but as a safety precaution, the snakes have also been de-venomed but still have their fangs intact, visitors are warned against picking up the reptiles and placing them on their bodies for taking pictures. Local devotees believe that the temple's snake population has come there of its own accord.

The temple was built in 1850 in memory of Chor Soo Kong, by a Buddhist monk. Chor Soo Kong was born in China during the Song Dynasty (960-1279). He was very serious about spiritual attainment and was ordained at a young age. Legend has it that Chor Soo Kong, who was also a healer, gave shelter to the snakes of jungle. When he died at the age of 65 after a lifetime of good deeds, he was bestowed the honorific title Chor Soo, meaning an eminent historic figure continuously revered by a community generation after generation. After the completion of the temple, snakes appeared on their own accord. The Snake Temple was originally named the "Temple of the Azure Cloud" in honor of the beauty of Penang's sky.

We went to all the tourist spots in Penang...on the way back to our hotel..we stopped at the Orchid Garden which

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... gac&sado=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

was the most beautiful place of the whole tour for me. I really didn't care about the Snake Temple because I never liked snakes, I walked stiffly around and walked out but all my friends loved Snake Temple.

Do you like Snake Temple???
yawares
Last edited by yawares on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
plwk

Re: THE SNAKE TEMPLE in Penang, Malaysia.

Post by plwk »

It seems that only the cobra does not show up at this temple.... probably not invited? :tongue:
yawares

Post by yawares »

plwk wrote:It seems that only the cobra does not show up at this temple.... probably not invited? :tongue:
Dear "plwk",

I didn't know what snakes they were..I just walked in to showed courage which I didn't have..I could see they were quite colorful...AND THEY ALL LOOKED SLEEPY like they were on drug. May be the incenses were made of OPIUM..so the incense-smoke made them sleepy!!

yawares
effort

Post by effort »

they told me these snakes are not aggressive, by the way i didnt dare to touch them!
yawares

Post by yawares »

effort wrote:they told me these snakes are not aggressive, by the way i didnt dare to touch them!
Dear "effort",

Oh..thanks for telling me...me too!!
yawares
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

yawares wrote: Do you like Snake Temple???
Yes
yawares

Post by yawares »

David N. Snyder wrote:
Yes
Dear David,

I think most men are not afraid of snakes..that's why exotic snakes become popular online merchandises.

Thanks for the answer,
yawares :anjali:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

yawares wrote: I think most men are not afraid of snakes..that's why exotic snakes become popular online merchandises.
Hi yawares,

I was hoping you would complain/smile/laugh at another one word response from me. :tongue:
Snakes are cool. They remind me of the stories of the nagas in the Suttas, especially Mucalinda, who protected the Buddha from the heavy rains.
plwk

Post by plwk »

yawares wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:
Yes
Dear David,

I think most men are not afraid of snakes..that's why exotic snakes become popular online merchandises.

Thanks for the answer,
Yeah and some women buy them....
yawares

Post by yawares »

David N. Snyder wrote:
yawares wrote: I think most men are not afraid of snakes..that's why exotic snakes become popular online merchandises.
Hi yawares,

I was hoping you would complain/smile/laugh at another one word response from me. :tongue:
Snakes are cool. They remind me of the stories of the nagas in the Suttas, especially Mucalinda, who protected the Buddha from the heavy rains.

Dear David,

Yes! Mucalinda definitely so COOL ! I saw this cool Mucalinda (with many heads) that the Buddha sat on... COOL !!
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... head+snake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yawares

Post by yawares »

yawares: I think most men are not afraid of snakes..that's why exotic snakes become popular online merchandises.

"plwk" : Yeah and some women buy them....[/quote]
Dear "plwk",

Oh..they are so brave!! :shock:
yawares (scary cat) :jumping:
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

yawares wrote:yawares (scary cat) :jumping: [/color]
Hello, Yawares,
If you are afraid of something that is harmless, your life will not be so happy. :cry:
If you are not afraid of something that is dangerous, your life will not be so long. :cry:

The important thing is to know the difference.
:thinking:

:namaste:
Kim
yawares

Post by yawares »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
yawares wrote:yawares (scary cat) :jumping:
Hello, Yawares,
If you are afraid of something that is harmless, your life will not be so happy. :cry:
If you are not afraid of something that is dangerous, your life will not be so long. :cry:

The important thing is to know the difference.
:thinking:

:namaste:
Kim

Dear Kim,
Well, I still have fear for snake of all kinds...except.. :candle: THE GREAT MUCALINDA NAGARAJA :candle: :anjali:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... tatue+with" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yawares :thinking:
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear members,

I post THE SNAKE TEMPLE @ SariputtaDhamma/JTN and a member who used to live in Malaysia gave me all the answer I needed:

Dear Yaweres,

Thanks for sharing these, they bring back many memories of my 2 years in Malaysia.

Metta,
Ryan
------------
Dear Ryan,

Did you enjoy visiting the SNAKE TEMPLE?...Do you think they burned OPIUM INCENSES so those snake would inhale OPIUM and became so sleepy/not aggressive??
Yawares
---------
Dear Yawares,

I think that the Malay Government would have hung everyone involved with opium : )
They have zero tolerance for drug use there.
The saying when I lived there was ' Dadda (drugs) is Death!'

The snakes are very passive, as most snakes really are. Typically they will not attack unless provoked.
RYan
-------------
Dear Ryan,

Oh..many Hollywood actors/actresses/rock stars would never go there !!!...DEATH !!

Thanks for telling me...very interesting!

yawares :thumbsup: :jumping:
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

Nag Mandir - Snake Temple in India

HEADED SNAKE IN INDIA TEMPLE PLACE

Temple statue and mural of Nagini the female snake goddess , India ...