Nagasena's wrong speech?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Individual

Nagasena's wrong speech?

Post by Individual »

Just noticed something.

From the Brahmajala Sutta
Or he might say: Whereas some recluses and Brahmans, while living on food provided by the faithful, continue addicted to the use of wrangling phrases [61] such as

"Disentangle yourself if you can." [67]
The 67th footnote reads:
So the author of Milinda in making his hero Nàgasena use just such a phrase (Mil. P. 27) is making him commit a breach of propriety.
By this, I think they mean when on the Milinda-Panda, Nagasena says:
"Now let You Majesty get out of that if you can!"
Would you agree that this is a "breach of propriety"? And also, why should we assume, as the translator of the above sutta does, that the author is misquoting Nagasena, rather than us merely misinterpreting Nagasena's words?

Consider the context of Nagasena's words, leading up to his "breach of propriety."

Are we to understand the "wrangling phrases" as literal or contextual? :)
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Dhammanando

Re: Nagasena's wrong speech?

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Individual,
“Idāni kho tvaṃ, mahārāja, sakkonto bhāsassa!”

I.B. Horner translates it much more literally: Now do you, sire, speak if you can!”

But the phrase is spoken by the five hundred Yonakas (Bactrians), not by Nāgasena. Even if it had been spoken by Nāgasena, it is not the mere speaking of such phrases that is disapproved in the Brahmajāla Sutta, but rather "dwelling addicted" (anuyutta viharati) to doing so.

The Brahmajāla Sutta's phrase, “untangle yourself if you can!” (nibbeṭhehi vā sace pahosi) is occasionally used by the Buddha himself, for example in his debate with Saccaka.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Individual

Post by Individual »

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Individual,
“Idāni kho tvaṃ, mahārāja, sakkonto bhāsassa!”

I.B. Horner translates it much more literally: Now do you, sire, speak if you can!”

But the phrase is spoken by the five hundred Yonakas (Bactrians), not by Nāgasena. Even if it had been spoken by Nāgasena, it is not the mere speaking of such phrases that is disapproved in the Brahmajāla Sutta, but rather "dwelling addicted" (anuyutta viharati) to doing so.

The Brahmajāla Sutta's phrase, “untangle yourself if you can!” (nibbeṭhehi vā sace pahosi) is occasionally used by the Buddha himself, for example in his debate with Saccaka.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Thanks. :)

The Diamond Sutra
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Dhammanando wrote: But the phrase is spoken by the five hundred Yonakas (Bactrians), not by Nāgasena. Even if it had been spoken by Nāgasena, it is not the mere speaking of such phrases that is disapproved in the Brahmajāla Sutta, but rather "dwelling addicted" (anuyutta viharati) to doing so.
How do you mean dwelling addicted?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Manapa,
Manapa wrote:How do you mean dwelling addicted?
I take the Buddha to mean that the recluses and brahmins in question are subject to a recurring psychological compulsion to engage in disputation, thereby diverting and distracting themselves from the pursuits that are more proper to their station.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Individual

Post by Individual »

Hmm. I see to have misread the Malinda-Panha.
The 500 Greeks thereupon applauded the Venerable Nagasena and said to King Milinda: "Now let You Majesty get out of that if you can!"
Based on that, now I can't even figure out what the footnote above is even talking about.

The Diamond Sutra
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Bhante
Dhammanando wrote:Hi Manapa,
Manapa wrote:How do you mean dwelling addicted?
I take the Buddha to mean that the recluses and brahmins in question are subject to a recurring psychological compulsion to engage in disputation, thereby diverting and distracting themselves from the pursuits that are more proper to their station.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
I see.
I suppose you could also call it an addiction to a certain behaviour which distracts from the task at hand? your words reminded me of a psychological term but besides OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) I can not think what it is, I know I am not imagining it but will re-reply if I remember later
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Individual,
Individual wrote:Based on that, now I can't even figure out what the footnote above is even talking about.
I can't either, but the passage you cited is the only one on page 27 of the PTS romanized Milinda that is even remotely related to the behaviour disapproved in the Brahmajāla. Perhaps the translator was just having a bad hair day.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Manapa,
Manapa wrote:I suppose you could also call it an addiction to a certain behaviour which distracts from the task at hand?
It does do that, but it causes a great many other akusala states too. The Atthakavagga (Octet Chapter) of the Suttanipata is an important source of Suttas dealing with the issues of addiction to disputation and attachment to views, and the harm that ensues from this:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... index.html

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)