Did Lord Buddha prophesise Jesus?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Babadhari

Did Lord Buddha prophesise Jesus?

Post by Babadhari »

http://bibleprobe.com/buddhatoldofjesus.htm

this article taken from a book states that Lord Buddha prophesised the coming of Jesus, 'the Holy One' .
http://bibleprobe.com/buddhatoldofjesus.htm

it is based on a discussion between the Buddha and a brahmin, translated from a manuscript in a monastery in Thailand.

is this actually a (deliberate?) mistranslation of the prediction of Maitreya Buddha?

is this conversation or anything to a similar effect between the Buddha and this particulr brahman to be found in the Suttas?
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
daverupa

Re: Did Lord Buddha prophesise Jesus?

Post by daverupa »

Something about this:

http://www.letusreason.org/Ecumen14.htm
Using a Lie for the Truth?

By Scott Noble

This paper brings out a few reasons why Christians should not use the
Buddha's "prophecy" about Metteyya. People who use this "prophecy" say that
Metteyya is Jesus Christ, based on a text found in Northern Thailand and
some texts found elsewhere. I hope to show that in spite of an "academic"
stamp of approval for this method by John R. Davis, this method should
definitely be tossed out of the faithful Christian's arsenal of evangelistic
methods.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

There appears to be a previous discussion about this exact same quotation in this old thread
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

It's a hoax used by Christian missionariries to convince Thai Buddhists they should follow the later teacher.

I recall discussing it back in 2007 here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/153 ... n-article/
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

Thanks for the replies, i thought it might have been a propaganda piece . i am curious as to
what the traditional Theravada view of Metteya Buddha, the only reference i can find is DN26
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

kitztack wrote:Thanks for the replies, i thought it might have been a propaganda piece . i am curious as to what the traditional Theravada view of Metteya Buddha, the only reference i can find is DN26
There are some later sources about Metteyya Buddha, but the story is not developed much in the Theravāda.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

A refutation of the lie.
http://dhammaprotector.blogspot.com/200 ... jesus.html

Recently, another piece has been floating around, supposedly a monk who had a Near Death Experience and saw the Buddha burning in hell. :roll:

I guess the commandment "Thou Shalt Not Lie" isn't of much value anymore.
Kare

Post by Kare »

No.
Mettāya,
Kåre
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

pilgrim wrote:A refutation of the lie.
http://dhammaprotector.blogspot.com/200 ... jesus.html

Recently, another piece has been floating around, supposedly a monk who had a Near Death Experience and saw the Buddha burning in hell. :roll:

I guess the commandment "Thou Shalt Not Lie" isn't of much value anymore.
A Buddhist monk...?

......................................__................................................
.............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,..........................................
.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................
...............,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\.......................... .......
.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\................................
..............\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,......................... ..
...............\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................
................\llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-\..*`*;..)..........................
.................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................
..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/.\..................
................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*...\.................
................|.../.../.../.*`...\...........................)....)¯`~,..................
................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............
..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---......\..../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,
...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../............\........
................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|..............\........
...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,............\.......
......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..........\........
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa