Vipassana Skype sessions of out-loud Mahasi style noting

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
brandwach

Vipassana Skype sessions of out-loud Mahasi style noting

Post by brandwach »

Skype sessions of out-loud Mahasi style noting with others.
I do vipassana - Mahasi style noting. This is a meditation that can be done with others out loud. It is very effective.
I am looking for noting partners. This can be done on the phone if you are in the US, as I am. Or it can also be done on skype.
I am looking for others who would like to skype with me from time to time. Already do this practice with three others. It has been very fruitful.
This is common among the practical/pragmatic Dharma scene propagated by Kenneth Folk, and Daniel Ingram.
I am happy to teach you what I know about this technique. To be clear I am not putting myself out as "a teacher" by offering this intro to Mahasi style noting.
Please PM me and I"ll give you my email address, phone number and skype address.
Let me know.
Metta,
brandwach

Re: Vipassana Skype sessions of out-loud Mahasi style noting

Post by brandwach »

Dear moderator, if this post is misplaced, please put it in its proper place.
Thank you.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
brandwach wrote:Dear moderator, if this post is misplaced, please put it in its proper place.
Done.
brandwach wrote:Thank you.
Not a problem.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

brandwach wrote:I do vipassana - Mahasi style noting. This is a meditation that can be done with others out loud. It is very effective.
No it cannot, or if it is done in that way, it is not Mahasi style noting.

If anyone wants to know the real Mahāsi style practice contact those who are properly trained in the method.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

brandwach wrote:This is a meditation that can be done with others out loud. It is very effective.
I am looking for noting partners.
I agree with Bhikkhu Pesala this isn't the technique. It might be a useful way to learn it as a guided meditation with a teacher for the first one or two times until one gets the technique but I don't see the point doing it this way on an ongoing basis, who taught you to do it this way?
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

Goofaholix wrote:who taught you to do it this way?
brandwach wrote:Kenneth Folk, and Daniel Ingram.
For those who don't know, Daniel Ingram is a self-proclaimed fully enlightened Arahant who seems to use the term "Dharma" as leverage for promoting his rather unusual teachings that appeal largely to the secular Buddhist crowd. He introduces a lot of new teachings and meditation methods which have little support in the suttas of early Buddhism and in fact outright contradict them on multiple occasions.

Once I browsed his personal forums, which reeks of what I call spiritual materialism, with people claiming jhanas and attainments left and right. Ingram himself doesn't seem to have any malicious intent. He appears to mean well, just that he seems rather quite deluded.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

Hi i do Mahasi style - when you start you can say the words out loud - but after a short time you should move to say it in your head - i guess after a few days you should stop with saying it out loud - its only good at the very beginning - and even that is not a must and you can go straight to "saying it" silently - how can you be mindful of what is happening in public if you speak out loud - people would think your crazy

this dosnt mean what you did isnt useful - but no doubt you should move on now - the goal is to be mindful all day
Last edited by purple planet on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

waterchan wrote: For those who don't know, Daniel Ingram is a self-proclaimed fully enlightened Arahant who seems to use the term "Dharma" as leverage for promoting his rather unusual teachings that appeal largely to the secular Buddhist crowd. He introduces a lot of new teachings and meditation methods which have little support in the suttas of early Buddhism and in fact outright contradict them on multiple occasions.

Once I browsed his personal forums, which reeks of what I call spiritual materialism, with people claiming jhanas and attainments left and right. Ingram himself doesn't seem to have any malicious intent. He appears to mean well, just that he seems rather quite deluded.
There is an old and quite lengthy thread about these claims here.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

brandwach wrote:This is a meditation that can be done with others out loud. It is very effective.
I'm curious as to how this would work in practice, since presumably people would be noting different things even while doing a similar activity?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

Spiny Norman wrote:
I'm curious as to how this would work in practice, since presumably people would be noting different things even while doing a similar activity?
yeah, indeed. a hall of 100 people noting aloud in a torrent of noise eventually uniting in a combined refrain of ' feeling crazy, feeling crazy' :tongue:
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

"hearing noting, hearing noting, hearing noting..."

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

kitztack wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:
yeah, indeed. a hall of 100 people noting aloud in a torrent of noise eventually uniting in a combined refrain of ' feeling crazy, feeling crazy' :tongue:
It would be rather hard to be honest with the noting.

"Sexual fantasy... mmmmmmmmm... OoOoOoOoooooo...."

:heart:
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

It's probably time to close this topic now... if anyone wishes to contact brandwach with regards to the Skype offer, please do so via PM.

As noted above, this is more of a Kenneth Folk / Daniel Ingram technique than a Mahasi one, so if anyone wishes to discuss the proposed technique further, please do so in the Open Dhamma forum.

Metta,