Whats your motivation ?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
purple planet

Whats your motivation ?

Post by purple planet »

Would be interested to hear what motivates members of this forum (spefic members) - so what motivates you to practice and put effort in ?
TheNoBSBuddhist

Re: Whats your motivation ?

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

Conquering the Three poisons and Cultivating the Four Brahma-Viharas.

Loving Kindness is my motivation.

There really is nothing finer than seeing someone smile, because you have made them do so.

:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

Thanks for the answer that was what i asked for - but i think maybe i should add some extra questions (not as the main question but as an optional questions) :

In case you changed your motivation : what was the motivation you had when you started and to what motivation it changed ?

if you do it to achieve some spiritual "gain" - why you want that "gain" ? (or to "loss" some bad quality's)

A spesifc example from noBS post :
Conquering the Three poisons and Cultivating the Four Brahma-Viharas.

Loving Kindness is my motivation.
you want this so you can help people more and be nicer to them ?

Do you do something to keep yourself motivated ? did you need to do something in the past ?

This new questions are for everyone not just TheNoBSBuddhist
TheNoBSBuddhist

purple planet wrote:Thanks for the answer that was what i asked for - but i think maybe i should add some extra questions (not as the main question but as an optional questions) :

In case you changed your motivation : what was the motivation you had when you started and to what motivation it changed ?
Originally, I just immediately felt a rapport with what Buddhism represented to me, and I wanted to be a better person...
if you do it to achieve some spiritual "gain" - why you want that "gain" ? (or to "loss" some bad quality's)
I think any positive gain in Buddhism, is a loss of a negative gain in yourself...
Do you do something to keep yourself motivated ? did you need to do something in the past ?
Practise, practise, practise.

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

I wanted more peace and serenity and less suffering for myself and to be less of a problem to myself and others. Also, to discover who i am and the truth of life and death and existence.

Now its too late to stop and i dont know any other way to live.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
vesak2014

Post by vesak2014 »

purple planet wrote:Would be interested to hear what motivates members of this forum (spefic members) - so what motivates you to practice and put effort in ?
How about motivation to study? Practice will lead nowhere without study. Oh maybe you assume members have had enough study, ok I got it. My motivation is I want to realize what I've learned, with a hope to be (at least) a sotāpanna in this very lifetime.
purple planet wrote:if you do it to achieve some spiritual "gain" - why you want that "gain" ? (or to "loss" some bad quality's)
Well, the gain is automatically obvious, sotāpanna hopefully.
Btw I found many people in the west want to achieve a "gain" of psychic power such as ability to levitate or fly. Usually they don't want to admit it.
robdog

Post by robdog »

I want to become a better person, more peaceful and more selfless. I want to be someone who puts others first.
TheNoBSBuddhist

purple planet wrote:.......
This new questions are for everyone not just TheNoBSBuddhist
I'm greatly offended.

I thought you and I were having a nice, quiet, private conversation, on our own.... :sage:

:roll:

:jumping:

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Get a room, you two!

:heart: :hug: :heart:

:jumping:

~~~

Part of what motivates me are the divine messengers (AN 3.35)!
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

purple planet wrote:so what motivates you to practice and put effort in ?
Essentially, dukkha. :smile:
Weakfocus

Post by Weakfocus »

seeker242 wrote:
purple planet wrote:so what motivates you to practice and put effort in ?
Essentially, dukkha. :smile:
The very same. Dukkha -and my desire to escape its clutches permanently- is what motivates me to meditate daily.
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Pain and a questioning mind.
manas

Post by manas »

purple planet wrote:Would be interested to hear what motivates members of this forum (spefic members) - so what motivates you to practice and put effort in ?
It used to be the promise of ecstatic states such as jhanas, but nowadays, being just a tad older and wiser, it's primarily ageing and death that motivate me to keep practicing the Dhamma, to the modest extent that I am able. They are coming whether we like it or not, and whether we are prepared for them, or not. I've reached a place where my life is pretty good now, I'm quite happy with it. The trouble is, it can't last. My thoughts turn to, 'after death, what then?' In fact it gets even worse than that; it could all end at any moment! Or, we could end up severely disabled, unable to move even...these bodies are unreliable. A solution to this situation and all it's inherent & potential sufferings must be found. Plus the Dhamma brings greater (mental / emotional) peace & ease in the here-and-now, which is another good reason to practice it.

metta
:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Denisa

Post by Denisa »

My answer is "wholesome happiness".

When I began following 5 precepts, I felt a different kind of happiness contrary to the usual happiness, which is pure, light, blameless. When I give something to a poor person I feel a happiness which I was unable to feel by craving and indulging in sensual pleasures. When I become a more wholesome and a simpler person it is like taking a bath after hours of jogging under hot sun.