Isn't it marvellous?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
TheNoBSBuddhist

Isn't it marvellous?

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

I am enamoured of this forum's facility to declare a 'fellow member' a friend or foe...
Such a useful device....

True story:

I remember on one board I frequented, there was one specific poster who delighted in posting controversial, argumentative, fatuous and utterly puerile posts; rather than contributing anything worthwhile, instructive or informative, he seemed to delight in merely flaming, trolling and generally being argumentative for the sake of it. "Ignorant" didn't cover it, so the other members got together and all agreed to put them on 'ignore'. :spy:

It took about a week, but gradually it dawned on this flaming troll that actually, nobody was responding to their posts at all, and everything he contributed was being stepped over, like a lump of excrement one sees on a pavement... :pig:

I believe he returned in several guises, and attempted to elicit responses in a likewise manner,(actually becoming more and more rude to try to get a reaction of sorts) but after a while, he gave up... :tantrum:

Ah, such fun... And so effective.... :meditate:

So, as a recommendation, if ever YOU should find yourself engaging with someone of that ilk, the above method is actually extremely effective... ;)
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Isn't it marvellous?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The Buddha also used this method to deal with stubborn people:

The Horse-Trainer
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
TheNoBSBuddhist

“Magnificent, lord! Magnificent!
All that needs saying.... :thumbsup:

One is further instructed by the Tathāgata here:

Specifically, 61, 63, 64, 66, 70, 72 - 74.

Thank you Bhante.
I will also endeavour to learn this lesson, take it to heart and practice.... ;)

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

I didn't even realise that there was that facility - and can't think why I would want to use it, quite honestly.

If someone is very argumentative and/or nasty, I don't engage them in discussion and just move on.

TheNoBSBuddhist

I commend you for your self-discipline.
Mine is still in the development stages, so any aid is useful.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:goodpost:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”