Bhikkhu Bodhi article in Inquiring Mind

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
tiltbillings

Re: An active moderator shouldn't enter debate

Post by tiltbillings »

paddington wrote:It appears that my comments to the B. Bodhi / B. Thanissaro thread are being held back for approval by a moderator. Is this policy against my posts in particular, or does this apply to everybody posting to the thread? Was there a notice posted of this policy somewhere? Will my comments be silently deep-sixed or will I get some sort of feedback as to what exactly I said that was deemed inappropriate?
Patience is a virtue. There will be times when no moderator is online, and until a moderator is online, your msg will sit there minding its own business until it can get reviewed. And when it is reviewed, action on it will be taken. Again, see: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 20#p309445

What that means is that msgs will not appear until they are reviewed, and you can relax in the knowledge that this not directed at you. It so for everyone. http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 17#p280794
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

paddington wrote:It appears that my comments to the B. Bodhi / B. Thanissaro thread are being held back for approval by a moderator. Is this policy against my posts in particular, or does this apply to everybody posting to the thread? Was there a notice posted of this policy somewhere? Will my comments be silently deep-sixed or will I get some sort of feedback as to what exactly I said that was deemed inappropriate?
Hi, Padddington. A belated welcome to DhammaWheel. I'm sorry your first days here have been a little rough. The Vens. Bodhi vs. Thanissaro thread has been moved to the Hot Topics section where each post from all users are vetted before appearing.
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
paddington

Post by paddington »

Thank you for the informative responses. Does anybody know where to find B. Thanissaro's full response? The moderators keep saying Inquiring Mind, but that only answers where B. Bodhi's article came from. Is anybody in contact with Bhikkhu Thanissaro to confirm this is in fact his or where the rest of it can be found?
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

paddington wrote:Thank you for the informative responses. Does anybody know where to find B. Thanissaro's full response? The moderators keep saying Inquiring Mind, but that only answers where B. Bodhi's article came from. Is anybody in contact with Bhikkhu Thanissaro to confirm this is in fact his or where the rest of it can be found?
It seems that David said quite directly in the OP: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 02#p307267 that what he reproduced was from Inquiring Mind, so if you want to read all of both articles you'll probably need to buy a copy.
http://www.inquiringmind.com/Subscribe.html

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hmm, I see David has clarified the facts here:
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 13#p309513

:anjali:
Mike
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

paddington wrote:I am new to the forums, so this is all a bit eye-opening for me (not necessarily in a good way). I have not explored the site thoroughly, but it seems some monks, like Bhikkhu Bodhi have a fairly active relationship with the site, and others like Bhikkhu Thanissaro might not. Could you briefly explain the degree and kind of relationship the site or site administrators have with each monk respectively?
Neither of them have ever posted on Dhamma Wheel, to my knowledge.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

mikenz66 wrote:Hmm, I see David has clarified the facts here:
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 13#p309513
Seems rather odd that this has only just been fully clarified as this was raised a couple of times in the other thread.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Mkoll wrote:
paddington wrote:I am new to the forums, so this is all a bit eye-opening for me (not necessarily in a good way). I have not explored the site thoroughly, but it seems some monks, like Bhikkhu Bodhi have a fairly active relationship with the site, and others like Bhikkhu Thanissaro might not. Could you briefly explain the degree and kind of relationship the site or site administrators have with each monk respectively?
Neither of them have ever posted on Dhamma Wheel, to my knowledge.
However - Ven. Thanissaro has a huge thread devoted to quotations from his Teachings:

The Quotable Thanissaro
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=420

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I should have verified more conclusively and also explained more carefully. I did say it was from Inquiring Mind and this is true. Bhikkhu Bodhi's article is in the Spring 2014 issue. It was not clear if Thanissaro Bhikkhu's rebuttal was specifically in that same issue or if it is in Fall 2014 issue (imminent any day now).

The source is a fairly popular, very reputable bhikkhu. I am sure he wouldn't make it up. I sent him the email as explained earlier. I just took another look at the email conversation I had with him and the scans he sent me. At the top of Thanissaro Bhikkhu's rebuttal are the words: "To the Editors of Inquiring Mind" so it does indeed appear that he had an advanced copy of the Fall 2014 issue, but I will let you know for sure once I hear from him.
paddington

Post by paddington »

Thank you for looking into this question. I also think it might be a good idea for you to call Bhikkhu Thanissaro to find out what his take on the circumstances are surrounding the release of this letter apparently ahead of publication, and whether he thinks this excerpt fairly represents his position. It looks like this is the contact info for Bhikkhu Thanissaro. http://www.watmetta.org/contact.html
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi article in Inquiring Mind

Post by DNS »

FYI, I have received a couple of PMs and emails from some members who confirmed that the rebuttal is from Thanissaro Bhikkhu but were upset over the editing job done with the attempt made by me at paraphrasing it to stay within Fair Use in a non-commercial setting as Dhamma Wheel. So in the interest of keeping peace, I have removed the thread from view. My apologies to anyone offended at my editing / paraphrasing of the article by Bhikkhu Bodhi and rebuttal by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

It will only come back at such time that we receive full permission to re-print the entire article and entire rebuttal and/or it is placed online in the public domain by Inquiring Mind.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi article in Inquiring Mind

Post by DNS »

Just one last reminder, as retro noted earlier, anyone who wants to continue discussing war in general and if there is such a thing as "just war" or not can do so in the following thread:
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=668