inscription sugestions

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: inscription sugestions

Post by DNS »

Congratulations!

No one will see the inscriptions, so it is mostly symbolic, but I'd suggest Devanagiri or Brahmi script, just because it looks historical, ancient, and cool.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
sattva wrote:Congratulations to you, too, Retro!!!
Thanks Sattva!

Cittasanto's question prompted me to ask my fiancee about inscriptions and she agreed that she is not fussed about inscriptions.

So there you go Cittasanto... maybe your fiancee would rather have the money in the bank, rather than chiselled out of the wedding rings? 8-)

Metta,
Retro. :)
It was her suggestion :p Im just trying to find something suitable. (plus its free as the rings are going to cost so much. :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :cry: :cry: :cry: )
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I have been looking at some fonts to see if I like any of them but unfortunatelly the only unusual font we like (Tolken's Elven) don't have the full range of letters for pali :tantrum: so I am going to currently used fonts :(

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Cittasanto wrote:I have been looking at some fonts to see if I like any of them but unfortunatelly the only unusual font we like (Tolken's Elven) don't have the full range of letters for pali :tantrum: so I am going to currently used fonts :(
How about Gallifreyan font? :mrgreen:

You can try different sentences here ;)

https://gallifreyan-9000.rhcloud.com/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Sindarin would be quite nice on a ring, and it's from Tolkein as well as being similar to his Elvish (Quenya, iirc, but without all the flair above and below the line) - I mention it because it would tolerate some floating dots/squiggles for extra letters rather well, and perhaps could be made to work for you.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

I'd suggest Saddha. You two, over the time you've been together, have developed a basis for being confident in one another for many years to come. Coupled with a little panna and your marriage ought to do well.

Congratulations cittasanto and retro. May you boys be happy in your marriages (and may your wives be even happier)!
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Modus.Ponens wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:I have been looking at some fonts to see if I like any of them but unfortunatelly the only unusual font we like (Tolken's Elven) don't have the full range of letters for pali :tantrum: so I am going to currently used fonts :(

https://gallifreyan-9000.rhcloud.com/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I doubt it will show propperly on a ring :( or there would be no competition.

John Stuart Mill
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Cittasanto wrote:
Modus.Ponens wrote:

https://gallifreyan-9000.rhcloud.com/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I doubt it will show propperly on a ring :( or there would be no competition.
My good friend, allow me to disagree, while hopefuly not causing your wife-to-be a headache :smile:

'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta