metta meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
no mike

metta meditation

Post by no mike »

Hello friends!

I have practiced contemplating metta by using phrases, but is there a way recommended to concentrate on something more single-pointed for metta, such as repeating just a few words or simply concentrating on the positive feelings, or something visual? For example, I read that the Tibetan Buddhists use "breath in/receive suffering, breath out/send happiness." :console:

SarathW

Re: metta meditation

Post by SarathW »

Best way to practice Metta is by practicing real life situations.
When you meet some person or animal etc. observe what sort of thought going in your mind.
Even when you read this thread what is going in your mind.
Is there any sign or anger, anxiety, jealousy etc.
Then through understanding of Anicca, Dhukkha and Anatta, you extend Metta to that particular living being.

Metta
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
no mike

Post by no mike »

But I ask how to practice concentration with metta as a subject. The reason I ask, is that a problem I had two years ago seems to be returning when I do breath meditation; my nose is now getting numb/swollen. I thought I might try a different but similar focal point to help with concentration, perhaps the sensations in my heart?

Normally when I do metta, it's a contemplation that I enjoy which involves lots of thought formations. But I don't really know if that would be good to help me to develop single-pointed concentration.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Try this - it worked for me:

Ajahn Brahmavamso teaches loving-kindness meditation
https://mettarefuge.wordpress.com/2010/ ... -kindness/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
no mike

Post by no mike »

cooran wrote:Hello all,

Try this - it worked for me:

Ajahn Brahmavamso teaches loving-kindness meditation
https://mettarefuge.wordpress.com/2010/ ... -kindness/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta,
Chris
Thanks, Chris !!
:)