The solitary lifestyle

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
tiltbillings

Re: The solitary lifestyle

Post by tiltbillings »

Sekha wrote:
P0sey wrote: at that time it will be alot of metta , basically even when I will go to sleep I will stay in metta , nothing but metta and mindfulness . NO VIPASSNA yet , I wanna build a strong foundation of metta .
Just another two cents. Be careful because according to the way your mind is internally wired at this moment, practicing Metta can induce cravings. The recommended method is to balance your practice with foulness of the body (32 body parts or staring at graphic pictures of rotting corpses, the latter having proven quite good for me to allay cravings of all kinds).
This a practice, without a teacher, that really has potential of turning out quite badly. See.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:goodpost: Tilt
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
befriend

Post by befriend »

using a concentration practice for a long period of time should be done under a teacher. there is a story of a practioner who was so skilled in samatha thats all he did then when he stopped meditating he ended up seriously hurting someone. what samatha or concentration practices do is suppress the hindrances thats why people like metta so much because everything looks beautiful, but when you let up on the metta the hindrances come flooding back into the mind. in extreme cases like the one i mentioned the defilements are so strong that your actions are beyond your control.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

What do you plan on eating and drinking?
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

P0sey wrote:
Sekha wrote:
P0sey wrote:How did you managed the problems you had in meditation ?
I just kept facing them and going through, they get weaker over time, so it gave me more motivation.
P0sey wrote: Any suttas or books on how to deal with meditation and cravings when alone ?
The Sekha Patipada is very useful.
P0sey wrote: Im interested in attempting a 1 week forest retreat by myself where im going to go deep into my practice , any advice ?
Sadhu. Just do it. And repeat as often as possible. I don't think there is any danger here. But if it doesn't work for you, it's a sign you should rather go for a group retreat and try again later.
P0sey wrote:
I have also found a zen or tibetan ? approach to solitary meditation . It could be useful for those interested
http://www.cuke.com/excerpts-articles/d ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
P0sey, you mention Zen and Tibetan approaches. In these traditions, having a teacher is considered essential.

Like others have tried to warn you, deep meditative practice without supervision, can lead to all sorts of things, of which deeper insight is one of the less likely outcomes. I've seen people become quite unhinged, imagine themselves enlightened or worse, etc.

Seclusion can be very good, growing your own food, building a house, taking walks, but meditation is another matter.
_/|\_
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

tiltbillings wrote:This a practice, without a teacher, that really has potential of turning out quite badly. See.
Just like any other practice :tongue:
That said, if you actually read what is written in this sutta and what I said, there's quite a difference. Between living all the time among corpses and practicing only that and watching a few pictures to balance Metta practice, it doesn't sound like comparable situations to me.
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sekha wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:This a practice, without a teacher, that really has potential of turning out quite badly. See.
Just like any other practice :tongue:
That said, if you actually read what is written in this sutta and what I said, there's quite a difference. Between living all the time among corpses and practicing only that and watching a few pictures to balance Metta practice, it doesn't sound like comparable situations to me.
It is not an advisable practice for an inexperienced meditator.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

I would be happy to agree with you but if you are not able to justify your statement more convincingly I'm afraid I can't.

What you say can be said about any practice imo.

Kind regards
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sekha wrote:I would be happy to agree with you but if you are not able to justify your statement more convincingly I'm afraid I can't.
You want me to justify that this is not really a beginner's practice? Or do want me to justify that this sort of foulness of the body practice you are advocating, without a teacher's guidance or without some degree of Dhamma experience dealing with difficult emotions that can arise from such a practice, has a good potential for going wrong, and possibly seriously wrong?
What you say can be said about any practice imo.
Yes, which is why, in establishing a meditation practice, working with a teacher is not a bad idea.

Also, agreeing with me is not necessity of life.

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

P0sey wrote: I have also found a zen or tibetan ? approach to solitary meditation . It could be useful for those interested
http://www.cuke.com/excerpts-articles/d ... ation.html
The information at the link is about Tibetan Buddhist practice, P0sey. You can't just cherry-pick from Tibetan Buddhism and expect to have any results if you don't understand what it means and if you don't have a Tibetan Buddhist teacher.

:anjali: