How much water do arahants drink and when do they drink it? Countering drowsiness.

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
User156079

How much water do arahants drink and when do they drink it? Countering drowsiness.

Post by User156079 »

Hello,
Want to optimize drinking, thoughts?
dhammarelax

Re: How much water do arahants drink and when do they drink it? Countering drowsiness.

Post by dhammarelax »

I drink one liter of water first thing after I wake up, then another liter after food and another liter later on. I got used to taking all my water in the morning only problem is I drink any liquids afterwards I go straight to the toilet.
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5
User156079

Re: How much water do arahants drink and when do they drink it? Countering drowsiness.

Post by User156079 »

del
Last edited by User156079 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax »

User156079 wrote:
dhammarelax wrote: ...
How big are you? Do u get drowsy after the meal? Do u have an active life or just chill and meditate? Thanks!
I am 1.74 m tall, weight 85 kg, I do get drowsy after the meal and I mainly meditate and teach meditation.
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5
User156079

Post by User156079 »

del
Last edited by User156079 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

At first I was skeptical, but as arahants have abandoned tanha w/o remainder, I can see that the zen saying to simply drink when thirsty would not apply. ;)
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
samseva

Post by samseva »

JohnK wrote:At first I was skeptical, but as arahants have abandoned tanha w/o remainder, I can see that the zen saying to simply drink when thirsty would not apply. ;)
Physical signals your bodily give you are different than craving. It is the same as hunger. While an Arahant will not crave food, I am guessing if he is hungry he will eat (during the allowable time)—or depending on his level of hunger, he will eat more or he will eat less.

After reaching Enlightenment, an Arahant will still experience bodily agreeable and painful feelings (kāyikā sukhā vedanā and kāyikā dukkhā vedanā). The difference is that he will not crave bodily agreeable feelings or crave that bodily disagreeable feelings cease.
samseva

Post by samseva »

1. Drink when thirsty. It's that simple—whether someone is an Arahant or not. Listen to your body.
2. If you urinate and it is concentrated and dark, you aren't paying attention to your bodily signals. If you urinate and it is completely transparent, you are consuming too much water.

- Forcing yourself to drink a litre of water in the morning (or similarly anytime during the day) is a health guru fad/recommendation.
- You can drink a bit of water with meals, but not too much, since too much affects digestion (according to traditional Chinese medicine).
- Drinking water shouldn't cause drowsiness (food yes, but not water).
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

samseva wrote:
JohnK wrote: ;)
Physical signals your bodily give you are different than craving. It is the same as hunger. While an Arahant will not crave food, I am guessing if he is hungry he will eat (during the allowable time)—or depending on his level of hunger, he will eat more or he will eat less.

After reaching Enlightenment, an Arahant will still experience bodily agreeable and painful feelings (kāyikā sukhā vedanā and kāyikā dukkhā vedanā). The difference is that he will not crave bodily agreeable feelings or crave that bodily disagreeable feelings cease.
That seems right to me.
(The reason I "winked" is that I was playing with the translation of tanha as thirst.)
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

Drink high amounts of water during the dry season (may 21st - July 21st) and the cold seasons (Sept 21st to march 21st) feel free to add unrefined sugar to your water too as the Buddha allowed for all his monks in order to stave off diseases of emaciation and decay which are prevalent during these times. The rains (July 21st to Sept 21st ) as well as spring (March 21st to may 21st) one should be moderate as to the amount of water ingested as this can cause over lubrication of the joints and channels and result in disorders of the kidneys, the skin, edema, diabetes, allergies, asthma etc.

For future inquires as to your health and how it relates to your dhamma practice consult either charaka samhita or the vinaya
samseva

Post by samseva »

JohnK wrote:
samseva wrote:
JohnK wrote: ;)

That seems right to me.
(The reason I "winked" is that I was playing with the translation of tanha as thirst.)
Ah, okay. Didn't get that it was a joke. :smile:
Pinetree

Post by Pinetree »

The water need depends on temperature, activity level, and what you eat, and also your body. So yes: "drink when you're thirsty" works for many people.

Based simply on the fact that you asking a water question, I would suggest to drink a half liter more.

Talking about questions, the water need also depends on your mental state.

When eating, the amount of water should be relatively small, up to a half cup, maybe few spoons before the meal and few spoons after, and depends on how dry the food is.

Like somebody said above, this has to do with the body, not with being an arahant or not.
_anicca_

Post by _anicca_ »

samseva wrote:1. Drink when thirsty. It's that simple—whether someone is an Arahant or not. Listen to your body.
2. If you urinate and it is concentrated and dark, you aren't paying attention to your bodily signals. If you urinate and it is completely transparent, you are consuming too much water.
:goodpost:

I really feel like this is all that needs to be said. Drink water intuitively. I feel as if you are overthinking this, there are much better things to ponder. :)
"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self."

:buddha1:

http://vipassanameditation.asia