the great vegetarian debate

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Santi253

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Post by Santi253 »

lyndon taylor wrote:
chownah wrote:Some dietary news:
New research suggests that it's not the fat in your diet that's raising your risk of premature death, it's too many carbohydrates -- especially the refined, processed kinds of carbs -- that may be the real killer...
https://science.slashdot.org/story/17/0 ... -carbs-bad
chownah
Yeah the originator of that Idea Dr Atkins, died of a heart attack.
People love to hear good news about their bad habits, but the overall scientific evidence shows that saturated fat and cholesterol are the dietary causes of heart disease, not carbohydrates, especially not from whole plant sources:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrPXFSIKxl0

Those on the keto and paleo diets, which are all the rage right now, should look back at Dr. Atkins as a cautionary tale.
Last edited by Santi253 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Non-violence is the greatest virtue, cowardice the greatest vice. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.matthewsatori.tumblr.com
Santi253

Post by Santi253 »

I had a few bites of steak today that my wife made, and I was struck by how unremarkable it tasted compared to foods like potatoes, brown rice, even kale. When you've been on a plant-based diet for over a month, like I have, you will likely lose your appetite and taste for meat.

Meat just doesn't taste good enough to justify putting the saturated fat and cholesterol into your body, or to justify the torture and slaughter of innocent creatures. Meat is very boring for someone used to eating tasty plant foods.
Non-violence is the greatest virtue, cowardice the greatest vice. - Mahatma Gandhi

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Can I ask why you're writing in larger font now? I always think it looks like shouting!

I've never tasted meat or fish since I was a teenager, but I don't usually tell everyone I'm a vegetarian, I just get on with it.

:)
Santi253

Post by Santi253 »

Aloka wrote:Can I ask why you're writing in larger font now?
It's easier to read.
Aloka wrote: I've never tasted meat or fish since I was a teenager, but I don't usually tell everyone I'm a vegetarian, I just get on with it.
I am just very surprised with myself, since I used to eat meat everyday, with practically every meal of the day, and I never cared about things like dietary fat and cholesterol. Now I have no taste for it.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Somebody told me recently that you can still buy spam. :o :jumping:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Spiny Norman wrote:Somebody told me recently that you can still buy spam. :o :jumping:

chownah

Post by chownah »

In thailand you can still get pig lungs. I had some for dinner tonight. It was good but nothing to shout about....the tongue or heart is much better. I haven't lost my taste for vegetables though.
chownah
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

chownah wrote:In thailand you can still get pig lungs. I had some for dinner tonight. It was good but nothing to shout about....the tongue or heart is much better. I haven't lost my taste for vegetables though.
chownah
:shrug:

When I was a student, one of the girls I shared a house with liked to have an occasional snack of raw liver or kidney.

Santi253

Post by Santi253 »

chownah wrote:In thailand you can still get pig lungs. I had some for dinner tonight. It was good but nothing to shout about....the tongue or heart is much better.
chownah
Gross.

chownah

Post by chownah »

Aloka wrote:
chownah wrote:In thailand you can still get pig lungs. I had some for dinner tonight. It was good but nothing to shout about....the tongue or heart is much better. I haven't lost my taste for vegetables though.
chownah
:shrug:

When I was a student, one of the girls I shared a house with liked to have an occasional snack of raw liver or kidney.

Yeah, when they slaughter a pig here for some big gathering (wedding or house dedication for instance) they cut the tip off of the liver right then and eat it when it is still warm. Its good.

Another thing that is good if prepared well is placenta....either pig of cow. When my wife's uncle's cow has a calf he cooks the placenta and brings some around for us to eat...it is a special thing for him to give us some and shows that we are close. He cooks it in the traditional way which frankly is not my favorite....they use bitter herbs with a strong flavor and I like it better when my wife cooks it so that the flavor of the placenta is more prominent.
chownah
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

chownah wrote: Another thing that is good if prepared well is placenta....either pig of cow. When my wife's uncle's cow has a calf he cooks the placenta and brings some around for us to eat...it is a special thing for him to give us some and shows that we are close. He cooks it in the traditional way which frankly is not my favorite....they use bitter herbs with a strong flavor and I like it better when my wife cooks it so that the flavor of the placenta is more prominent.
chownah
I've heard that after giving birth some women cook and eat their own placenta.

https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/ ... centa.aspx

Santi253

Post by Santi253 »

chownah wrote: Another thing that is good if prepared well is placenta....either pig of cow. When my wife's uncle's cow has a calf he cooks the placenta and brings some around for us to eat...it is a special thing for him to give us some and shows that we are close. He cooks it in the traditional way which frankly is not my favorite....they use bitter herbs with a strong flavor and I like it better when my wife cooks it so that the flavor of the placenta is more prominent.
chownah
I can assure you that a bowl of kale, or even a baked potato, is a much healthier, and more humane, thing to eat. Probably tastier too if you prepare it with the right seasonings or dressings.

Santi253

Post by Santi253 »

I just thought of something that could drastically improve America's health, especially for low-income people: Fruits and vegetables should cost less for people on food stamps. Grocery stores could even be reimbursed at the normal amount, while incentivizing low-income people to eat healthier foods.

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Santi253 wrote:I just thought of something that could drastically improve America's health, especially for low-income people: Fruits and vegetables should cost less for people on food stamps. Grocery stores could even be reimbursed at the normal amount, while incentivizing low-income people to eat healthier foods.
I would go for fruits and vegetables costing less in general. Its pretty sad when it is much more financially responsible to only eat instant ramen and other foods like that while putting yourself through university (he said from experience).
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
binocular

Post by binocular »

Coëmgenu wrote:I would go for fruits and vegetables costing less in general. Its pretty sad when it is much more financially responsible to only eat instant ramen and other foods like that while putting yourself through university (he said from experience).
This year, we have more tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers in our garden than we can eat or prepare for winter. I'd gladly give you some.
The disadvantages of online acquaintances ...
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!