Buddhism and alcohol

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Dhammanando

Re: Buddhism and alcohol

Post by Dhammanando »

oncereturner wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:18 am In my country, the state financialized (free) medical service is a catastrophe. Doctor said he can not help me. I will seek for a private doctor. It's a lot of money, but I think it worth it. Alcohol is a lot more money and disaster.

I saw a hospital, full of alcohol addicts, and the smell was unbearable. These people can't even have hygiene. The leader doctor of the restricted class, when I spent 2 days, recommended this hospital, but I refused to go there.
Have you considered going to Austria? Your westerly neighbours have an excellent state health service, coming in 9th place in the World Health Organization's ranking of national healthcare systems, while Hungary ranks a miserable 66th.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
binocular

Post by binocular »

Dhammanando wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:11 amHave you considered going to Austria? Your westerly neighbours have an excellent state health service, coming in 9th place in the World Health Organization's ranking of national healthcare systems, while Hungary ranks a miserable 66th.
As far as I know, one has to be an Austrian citizen in order to be able to utilize their health care system through regular insurance. Merely being a citizen of one of the EU states is not enough.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

bodom wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:32 am
So happy for you! A life you never thought possible, a freedom you never thought possible, waits for you on the other side. Please stay in touch to let us know your progress.

:namaste:
I remember that I never drank (only occasionally) before the age of 28. I hated alcohol. I liked sports and promoted healthy lifestyle. I also remember that I suffered from depression and anxiety without alcohol and benzo all my life. I suffered from craving (tanha) to women. I can recall, I planned to commit suicide if I don't have a girl 15 years ago. I wrote down all my sufferings in hundreds of pages and I can read them anytime. Then finally I had a girl and I was happy.

This year in the hospital it turned out, that I have mental illness (personality disorder, schizo, social anxiety, OCD), and secondary alcohol addiction. Indeed I try to cure myself with this poison.

My doctor prescribes me a lot of benzos, despite he knows that I'm an alcoholic. I guess he is undereducated.

Now I'm 36 and suffer a lot more from my addiction. I have a lot of alcoholic friends. I am suffering from tanha (craving) for women as always. I must stop, but I don't have time and energy for long procedures to get into rehab. Alcohol robs all my energy.

In my final desperation I plan to call the ambulance and the police, and I will tell them that I have suicidal fantasies (which is not true). In this case they will carry me to the mental hospital for sure in 10 minutes.

Then I need to cure my mental illness and find a woman.
"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

— SN 45.8
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

Dhammanando wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:11 am Have you considered going to Austria? Your westerly neighbours have an excellent state health service, coming in 9th place in the World Health Organization's ranking of national healthcare systems, while Hungary ranks a miserable 66th.
Venerable Sir, you'd better not to be sick in Hungary, because doctors will let you die. I experienced this, and I heard a lot of horrifying stories from my friends. One of my best friend nearly died in the hospital due to the miserable health system. Other patients called for doctor, because they have seen that he will die. In the final moment he had a surgery operation. He needs another operation, but he just can't enter the hospital due to complicated procedures. I just hope he will survive this, because I don't want to lose him.
"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

— SN 45.8
binocular

Post by binocular »

oncereturner wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:09 pm
Dhammanando wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:11 am Have you considered going to Austria?
Venerable Sir, you'd better not to be sick in Hungary, because doctors will let you die.
But can you go to another (EU) country and get treatment there?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

binocular wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:32 pm But can you go to another (EU) country and get treatment there?
No. It's not USA. I have a free medical care only in Hungary. All European countries are separated.

— SN 45.8
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

I'd like to live in the USA in a monastery. I like cultural diversity and freedom.
Bartók Béla was a Hungarian worldwide known musician, who emigrated to the US. A lot of Hungarians fleed to the US after the world war. We lost all of our educated people.

Now the situation is the same. Intelligent people try to escape from this country to western Europe. Ten percent of the remaining population is alcoholic or mad. I'm afraid our country and culture will disappear soon.

If you try to imagine this little eastern European country, just think about Kenya or Congo.

I'm about to forget my own language. This language is unique even in Europe because it is not indoeuropean. I don't even understand the language of the neighboring countries. It is very complicated and beautiful, nobody understands it for sure except us. This is the last remaining language of the Ural mountains.

I can tell that it is impossible to learn this language.it is so complicated, only the most intelligent people can use it perfectly.

It was very hard for me learning English. I learned basic English, and soon realized that American people talk in a different way. It will take me a lifetime to learn your language. It is beautiful. It is hard for me to understand you sometimes.

There is one small Buddhist monastery in this country, which is in the neighborhood. I can go to a solitary cell, for a day or a week, but they ask for money. I guess it's worth the money.

— SN 45.8
binocular

Post by binocular »

oncereturner wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:01 amNow the situation is the same. Intelligent people try to escape from this country to western Europe. Ten percent of the remaining population is alcoholic or mad. I'm afraid our country and culture will disappear soon.
I'm in Slovenia. Back in the 1980's when I was going to school, we were learning about the different education systems in European countries, and I remember I thought the Hungarian was the harshest, the most competitive. If I remember correctly, the system back then was a person's life was pretty much decided upon when they entered primary education at the age of six. There were different kinds of primary education, and having completed some of them, a person could not get into college afterwards, not even change courses.
So it doesn't come as a surprise that such extreme competitiveness would reflect on society, and negatively at that.

I'm saying -- don't blame yourself for all your troubles, because some of them are not your fault. Although you should take responsibility for your life, by all means.
I can tell that it is impossible to learn this language.it is so complicated, only the most intelligent people can use it perfectly.
We get Hungarian television here, so I can hear the language (and all foreign programmes are synchronized -- while we have almost exclusively subtitles in Slovene).
It was very hard for me learning English. I learned basic English, and soon realized that American people talk in a different way. It will take me a lifetime to learn your language. It is beautiful. It is hard for me to understand you sometimes.

I'll make more effort to keep that in mind.
There is one small Buddhist monastery in this country, which is in the neighborhood. I can go to a solitary cell, for a day or a week, but they ask for money. I guess it's worth the money.
Then try that. If nothing else, it will be a new experience that you can learn from.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

Here's another suggestion:

Join a club or an association of people that go on trips together to interesting locations in your country, usually by bus. Such clubs usually have a yearly calendar of trips posted on the internet, so you can see which one is most to your liking. There is usually a membership fee, but the whole price of each trip is usually much less than if one were to go alone or with a small group of friends. And one doesn't have to worry about transportation and organization.

This way you'll be out in the fresh air, you'll see more of your beautiful country, you'll meet new people, and you'll have some things to look forward to and plan for.

:smile:
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

Oh my goodness. I met with my intelligent and educated friend. The goal was the meeting was that he will convince me not to drink or help me to get into hospital/rehab. Instead of this the following things happened.

I was sober but he was already drunken. He bought me a drink then we both get drunken. He knows dhamma but doesn't understand it.

He also told me how to commit suicide. Of course I'm the one to blame again, because I'm responsible of my own deeds.

But I guess buying drink to a depressed alcoholic and even tell me how to commit suicide painlessly is a foolish or even a criminal act.

I must break our friendship, I'm so sad. I will never meet him again.

It is written "A little knowledge of dhamma hurts the fool, because his mind will break apart. " This happened to him.

I will trust no one, only DW members.

Tomorrow I WILL go to the hospital and ask for help.

— SN 45.8
auto

Post by auto »

When you see, hear.. alcohol then you get affected, drinking it will get affected the body, then drinking more you lose your head and instincts rise and take control of you.
Alcohol is the valid object of your heart through what instincts in belly try to influence you to release themselves.

You can get rid of that object from heart by reasoning. Reasoning, if correct, puts things in movement and open the heart. It takes a long time. You will drink many more times, but eventually you reach to the place where you can't overdrink yourself and instincts can't come out. And furthermore you can get rid of it just by seeing drinking in reflection in your mind will be enough to get rid of the path what leads to alcohol this moment or time.

You are feeding the demons in you and letting them out. They won't come out without your doing. Demons need cultivate much power so that you would start act how they want so give some credit to them for their effort.

What kind of help makes sense to you. If going to hospital makes sense to you then go.
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

auto wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:14 pm When you see, hear.. alcohol then you get affected, drinking it will get affected the body, then drinking more you lose your head and instincts rise and take control of you.
Alcohol is the valid object of your heart through what instincts in belly try to influence you to release themselves.

You can get rid of that object from heart by reasoning. Reasoning, if correct, puts things in movement and open the heart. It takes a long time. You will drink many more times, but eventually you reach to the place where you can't overdrink yourself and instincts can't come out. And furthermore you can get rid of it just by seeing drinking in reflection in your mind will be enough to get rid of the path what leads to alcohol this moment or time.

You are feeding the demons in you and letting them out. They won't come out without your doing. Demons need cultivate much power so that you would start act how they want so give some credit to them for their effort.

What kind of help makes sense to you. If going to hospital makes sense to you then go.
Alcohol took control over my mind. I have lost all my willpower. It is a self sustaining addiction. I know that it does harm to me, and reasoning has no effect anymore.

— SN 45.8
auto

Post by auto »

oncereturner wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:11 pm Alcohol took control over my mind. I have lost all my willpower. It is a self sustaining addiction. I know that it does harm to me, and reasoning has no effect anymore.
meditate, practice dharma: it will make the bad consequences, suffering worse and the changes are that you get sick before you overdrink and lose control.
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

Garrib wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:51 am
Bhikkhu Samahita recently posted a video in which he responds to a question about Marijuana addiction. He also included some words on alcohol addiction which might be useful (see link below) - it is very dangerous, as you know. Overcoming addictions is hard work, but it is worth it - and there is joy on the other side. Good luck my friend! You can do it!!!

[html]
Thank you, I watched it twice. He mentioned a point of no return. I hope I haven't already crossed that point.

— SN 45.8
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

Another shocking documentary.

[html][/html]

— SN 45.8