Selecting a Sri Lanka Monastery for Ordination

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
aspiring_sotapanna

Selecting a Sri Lanka Monastery for Ordination

Post by aspiring_sotapanna »

Hello

My name is Pankaj, 26 yo from India. I wish to ordain in Theravada monastery in Sri Lanka. I have narrowed down my options to: a. Na Uyana Aranya b. Mithrigala Nissarana Vanaya. Now I have three concerns here that I would very much like to be addressed before proceeding.

1. As per suggestions available in this forum I should visit these two monasteries before ordaining and going for a long term commitment. However one needs to get an entry visa if one wishes to stay in Sri Lanka for more than 3 months. Now what would be the correct procedure to obtain one? I can ask one of the monasteries (Na Uyana does facilitate getting an entry visa if my application is approved) but what if I decide to stay at Mithrigala after visiting both the places. Then I might leave the impression that I am exploiting the facilities provided by one monastery to ordain at another. Is there any other way to obtain entry visa to Sri Lanka. Please advice.

2. Please provide any information/review about the current state of these two monasteries. Are there English speaking senior monks at these monasteries who can guide me from time to time. I found out that the the seniormost monk at Na Uyana i.e. Ven. Ariyadhamma Thera passed away last year and that the English speaking senior monk at Mithrigala stays abroad most of the time.

3. What is the basic difference between the two meditation styles taught at these two monasteries. I hear Pa Auk tradition specifies detailed and precise instructions which is very much to my preference btw. But I would also like to know more about the Mahasi style followed at Mithrigala. Just some background info here: I have been practising Goenka Vipassana for the past 4 years and I find the rigour in Goenka tradition very much to my liking. Does that make me more suitable for one tradition more than the other.

Sorry for the long post. Its just that I found this forum an ideal place to ask such questions. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks & Regards
Pankaj
SarathW

Re: Selecting a Sri Lanka Monastery for Ordination

Post by SarathW »

Hi Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.
I am sorry I can't help with your question.
Why don't you go there for three months and find it out?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
paul

Post by paul »

I have visited both monasteries earlier in life and think Na Uyana Aranya is far superior for my needs, as it is in a rural area away from Colombo, being particularly concerned as I am with wilderness meditation as described in MN 121. The choice of monastery depends on what the individual’s needs are, according to temperament, but NUA has a connection with Pa Auk. The training will not be as regimented as you have outlined, and you will be left to your own resources to a certain extent. The crucial thing is finding a teacher with whom you have a rapport. An Australian, I stayed in Sri Lanka for six months recently (not at a monastery), by extending a three-month tourist visa for another three months, but I had to attend the Immigration office in Colombo every month for the final three months and that would be a chore if you lived at Na Uyana Aranya. If you became a monk within the first three months, then you would probably be able to apply for a residency visa under the religious category, with a covering letter from your monastery.
aspiring_sotapanna

SarathW: Indeed I am intending to visit the monasteries before oradining. I was under the impression that a tourist visa cannot be upgraded to residency visa in Sri Lanka and I would like to avoid taking multiple trips. So if I could get an entry visa in the first place, I would definitely go for that option.

paul: Thanks paul. I agree with your opinion that Na Uyana being in a rural area is a superior setting for meditation. I have a question though.
The crucial thing is finding a teacher with whom you have a rapport.
According to this, it appears that I am allowed to pick and choose a teacher according to my preference at Na Uyana. Is that correct?
Also according to this http://nauyana.org/files/Na-Uyana_Visa_ ... edures.pdf and http://www.immigration.gov.lk/web/index ... Itemid=198 I need to arrive with entry visa into Sri Lanka to obtain residence visa later on. Are you sure I can upgrade a tourist visa to residence visa?

Thanks in advance
paul

Post by paul »

1) I have obtained a residency visa by this method in the past and it states it clearly in the NUA information:

6. After arriving in Sri Lanka with the entry visa, you can apply for the resident visa. You will be given a 30 day-visa on arrival, and the monastery will help you to apply for the resident visa. Visas for monks and nuns are free. Lay people need to pay for the application. (~Rs 20,000/USD200 per year).

In relation to the visa, understand that Sri Lanka is a Buddhist country and the religion carries great influence in the secular sphere as well, it is part of Sri Lankan nationalism, just as Hinduism is in India. Don’t worry about the visa, if you have a genuine intention to become a monk, then NUA will organise it.

2) This, including the language barrier, has a disadvantage for foreigners, as they are regarded as outsiders and you will have to find your own way within the monastic system. You will be able to choose your own teacher and in many other ways will have to make your own decisions. The situation will not be a clear-cut training as you expect. It is not a training monastery (pirivena).

NUA APPROXIMATE TIMELINE TO BHIKKHU ORDINATION

1-4 months: Upāsaka (8 Precepts)
6-12 months Pabbajjā (going forth) and abiding as a Sāmaṇera (Novice monk) (10 Precepts and 75 Sekhiya rules) January – March: Vinaya Classes
April: Vinaya Exam
June: Upasampadā (higher ordination) at Galduwa Monastery

3) You should be familiar with the eight precepts and the history of Buddhism in Sri Lanka as custodian of the dhamma after it declined in India.
aspiring_sotapanna

Hello paul

1. Thanks for elaborating the NUA timeline for ordination. It gives me a brief idea of what to expect at NUA, atleast during the initial months. Also I am not worried about getting a strict training per se. Although I would like to establish myself according to Vinaya guidelines, I would like do that through my own efforts in a gradual manner. I am already familiar with the eight precepts after attending several Goenka vipassana meditation retreats. So that should be a non issue. The fact that I can choose my own teacher is also a plus point for me.

2. Now for entry visa I think I should follow NUA guidelines as suggested by you and due to lack of any other option.

Thanks a lot
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

paul wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:07 pm 1) I have obtained a residency visa by this method in the past and it states it clearly in the NUA information:

6. After arriving in Sri Lanka with the entry visa, you can apply for the resident visa. You will be given a 30 day-visa on arrival, and the monastery will help you to apply for the resident visa. Visas for monks and nuns are free. Lay people need to pay for the application. (~Rs 20,000/USD200 per year).

In relation to the visa, understand that Sri Lanka is a Buddhist country and the religion carries great influence in the secular sphere as well, it is part of Sri Lankan nationalism, just as Hinduism is in India. Don’t worry about the visa, if you have a genuine intention to become a monk, then NUA will organise it.

2) This, including the language barrier, has a disadvantage for foreigners, as they are regarded as outsiders and you will have to find your own way within the monastic system. You will be able to choose your own teacher and in many other ways will have to make your own decisions. The situation will not be a clear-cut training as you expect. It is not a training monastery (pirivena).

NUA APPROXIMATE TIMELINE TO BHIKKHU ORDINATION

1-4 months: Upāsaka (8 Precepts)
6-12 months Pabbajjā (going forth) and abiding as a Sāmaṇera (Novice monk) (10 Precepts and 75 Sekhiya rules) January – March: Vinaya Classes
April: Vinaya Exam
June: Upasampadā (higher ordination) at Galduwa Monastery

3) You should be familiar with the eight precepts and the history of Buddhism in Sri Lanka as custodian of the dhamma after it declined in India.
Thank you, Paul.
Your post made me to strongly think about becoming a monk.

:D
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
vittalpatil85

Post by vittalpatil85 »

Pankajji namaste,
Vittal here from Karnataka India, also a student of Goenkaji.
1. You have to enter srilanka with a entry visa if you want to obtain a residence visa in Sri Lanka.
2.you can not change a tourist visa to residence visa.

I am also going to visit na uyana for ordination. I know a monk Ven Vishuddananda bhante from Srilanka who visited Mahabodhi bengaluru.Bhante is from na uyana tradition. He said na uyana is a good monastery for bhikku training.

I have got approval letter from na uyana. With which I going to obtain entry visa through chennai embassy very soon.

For more help contact me on phone or email.

Thanks,
With metta,
Vittal patil
eto

Post by eto »

paul wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:07 pm It is not a training monastery (pirivena).
May I ask what you mean by this? That is, do people not have a check in with the teacher on a day to day basis, with a set of instructions to follow etc? I've been to Pa Auk in Myanmar and this is how it worked.. as such I assumed it would be similar at Na Uyana Aranya..?

Also someone mentioned that one had to find their own teacher there. How does that work? If someone could elaborate on these points, that would be very helpful. Thank you.
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Just as an option, you may be interested to know there are some lesser known monasteries which practise in the Goenka tradition. This one is in Sri Lanka
https://sites.google.com/site/kahagollamonastery/
BKh

Post by BKh »

vittalpatil85 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:30 pm 1. You have to enter srilanka with a entry visa if you want to obtain a residence visa in Sri Lanka.
2.you can not change a tourist visa to residence visa.
Seconding this. Do not enter with a tourist visa if you hope to get a resident visa without leaving the country. Unless you hear otherwise from the monastery.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
WorldTraveller

Post by WorldTraveller »

pilgrim wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:06 am Just as an option, you may be interested to know there are some lesser known monasteries which practise in the Goenka tradition. This one is in Sri Lanka
https://sites.google.com/site/kahagollamonastery/
Hell NO! :smile:

Few years ago, I accidentally bumped into several young monks in Colombo. We talked openly, and two of them said that they will disrobe in the coming weeks. The two have been disrobing, re-ordaining, and disrobing for several times. I asked why and their answer was "no inspiration from the elders as they are too corrupt!" I questioned politely to get more out of them that "it may be you are young and rebellious!?" Then they showed me a video from their last monastery (Kahagolla) where the abbot or the assistant abbot drinking alcohol which bought by using the donations. When these young monks complained to a more senior monk of the Galduwa Forest Tradition (Kahagolla Monastery belongs to Galduwa) presenting the video as proof, they were severely rebuked to mind their own business without criticising the elders' actions. They said this kind of situation isn't new or isolated in the community, but widespread yet well hidden mutually.

When I inquired "these are meditation places with meditative monks, right?" They laughed at me "don't judge a book by its cover!" According to them, presenting the "meditation" label is mainly to impress the donors so that the continuation of their support is guaranteed.

The place has some other serious issues also, but the above is enough to avoid it as an ordination place.

Personally, I have no doubt about what they say.
paul

Post by paul »

eto wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:53 pm
May I ask what you mean by this? That is, do people not have a check in with the teacher on a day to day basis, with a set of instructions to follow etc? I've been to Pa Auk in Myanmar and this is how it worked.. as such I assumed it would be similar at Na Uyana Aranya..?
Also someone mentioned that one had to find their own teacher there. How does that work? If someone could elaborate on these points, that would be very helpful. Thank you.
A pirivena is a training monastery for Sri Lankan bikkhus. Sri Lankan Buddhism at street level is bound up with nationalism and their tradition of it contains mythic elaborations. At elite meditation monasteries like NUA, the view is more in accord with western Buddhism. For recent information on the program at NUA see this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=31785
Last edited by paul on Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
WorldTraveller

Post by WorldTraveller »

paul wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:49 am
A pirivena is a training monastery for Sri Lankan bikkhus. Sri Lankan Buddhism at street level is bound up with nationalism and their tradition of it contains mythic elaborations. At meditation monasteries like NUA, the view is more in accord with western Buddhism. For recent information on the program at NUA see this thread:
According to NUA's own supporters, the place has been conducting such blessing functions as paritta chantings to support their nationalist political leader, ex-President Mahinda Rajapakshe. How can that be in accord with Western Buddhism?
eto

Post by eto »

paul wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:49 am
A pirivena is a training monastery for Sri Lankan bikkhus. Sri Lankan Buddhism at street level is bound up with nationalism and their tradition of it contains mythic elaborations. At elite meditation monasteries like NUA, the view is more in accord with western Buddhism. For recent information on the program at NUA see this thread:

Thanks for the response, Paul. What exactly do you mean by 'western buddhism'?