Selecting a Sri Lanka Monastery for Ordination

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
paul

Re: Selecting a Sri Lanka Monastery for Ordination

Post by paul »

The particular characteristics of Theravada as it has developed in Europe, America, and Australia and NZ, drawing mainly on the Thai Forest Tradition and the writing of western scholar-monks who lived in Sri Lanka.
These are:
-the doctrinal texts' availability in English translation
-the lay person's pursuit of the path and nibbana
-meditation in contrast to devotion
-the centrality of the Satipatthana sutta
Last edited by paul on Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WorldTraveller

Post by WorldTraveller »

paul wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:51 am The particular characteristics of Theravada as it has developed in Europe, America, and Australia and NZ, drawing mainly on the Thai Forest Tradition and the writing of western scholar-monks who lived in Sri Lanka.
Any particular names? Thanks.
StormBorn

Post by StormBorn »

WorldTraveller wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:04 am
paul wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:49 am
eto wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:53 pm

May I ask what you mean by this? That is, do people not have a check in with the teacher on a day to day basis, with a set of instructions to follow etc? I've been to Pa Auk in Myanmar and this is how it worked.. as such I assumed it would be similar at Na Uyana Aranya..?
Also someone mentioned that one had to find their own teacher there. How does that work? If someone could elaborate on these points, that would be very helpful. Thank you.
A pirivena is a training monastery for Sri Lankan bikkhus. Sri Lankan Buddhism at street level is bound up with nationalism and their tradition of it contains mythic elaborations. At meditation monasteries like NUA, the view is more in accord with western Buddhism. For recent information on the program at NUA see this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=31785
According to NUA's own supporters, the place has been conducting such blessing functions as paritta chantings to support their nationalist political leader, ex-President Mahinda Rajapakshe. How can that be in accord with Western Buddhism?
Well, you seem to be very updated. According to a Washington Post article, that country having a serious political crisis at the moment which involves the ex-president you mentioned (he's back as the newly appointed PM).

More importantly, the sacked PM (Ranil Wickremesinghe) also has his share of monks to chant for him. Here's from the same article: :jumping: :rofl:
Members of Wickremesinghe’s political coalition, supporters and chanting Buddhist monks quickly set up camp in a hall at the prime minister’s official residence after Sirisena withdrew most of Wickremesinghe’s security personnel.
“Greater in battle than the man who would conquer a thousand-thousand men, is he who would conquer just one—himself.”
paul

Post by paul »

WorldTraveller wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:24 pm
paul wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:51 amThe particular characteristics of Theravada as it has developed in Europe, America, and Australia and NZ, drawing mainly on the Thai Forest Tradition and the writing of western scholar-monks who lived in Sri Lanka.
Any particular names? Thanks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyanaponika_Thera
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyanatiloka
Note “Buddhist Dictionary”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhikkhu_Bodhi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhikkhu_Analayo
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

I am in Sri Lanka and I just discover chanting monk.

In Muslim area. They act as racist (Muslim can't be trusted etc...)

Freaking. They just have a covering Buddhism. But dry heart
Last edited by fornoxe on Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

I feel that : how I can be a monk if I could not suitable teacher.

And I would like to live under trees and meditate by myself. But they don't have this kind of visa lol
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I would like to live under trees and meditate by myself. But they don't have this kind of visa lol
To do that you do not have to go to Sri Lanka.
Once I was in Paris and I went to a botanical garden. I saw someone meditation under a tree.
I was tempted to talk to him but did not want to disturb him.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
paul

Post by paul »

fornoxe wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:03 pm how I can be a monk if I could not suitable teacher.
A practitioner can waste time searching for a teacher in different countries. The only monastery that is specifically adapted for westerners is Pa Auk in Myanmar.
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

SarathW wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:30 pm
I would like to live under trees and meditate by myself. But they don't have this kind of visa lol
Once I was in Paris and I went to a botanical garden. I saw someone meditation under a tree.
In my country if I will become a homeless guy who don't want any money even à cents who looking for illumination I will send to psychiatrict hospital.

Asking for food when you made de choice to live without money is ok in bouddhisme and Indian for yogi. Not in my country.

And the weather...
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

paul wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:31 pm
fornoxe wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:03 pm how I can be a monk if I could not suitable teacher.
A practitioner can waste time searching for a teacher in different countries. The only monastery that is specifically adapted for westerners is Pa Auk in Myanmar.
Why Westerner have special training?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

fornoxe wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:09 am
SarathW wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:30 pm
In my country if I will become a homeless guy who don't want any money even à cents who looking for illumination I will send to psychiatrict hospital.

Asking for food when you made de choice to live without money is ok in bouddhisme and Indian for yogi. Not in my country.

And the weather...
Sorry for not understanding your situation.
Even monks has to work for their money. The difference is they work in a field that they really enjoy or see some value.
In our case we have to do some unpleasant jobs but once you understand the teaching you do not worry whether you are a king or the garbage collector. What matters is the right livelihood.
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

Let me very kindly I am not agree with you Sarah.

Monk must not work. In my country we have kind of monk who work for lay people and another monk just practise.

In all spiritual scripture we can find be poor is a must be. And be poor even no one rupees when you have a boy with you who pay for you is no meaning.
If Bouddha said we have to be poor is because we must just work for enlighment.

But monk here and in many country not only theravada or even Buddhism work for lay people. Most of young people does not like work monk. They care only for money and build new things. Again and again.

We have to be poor even no one rupees. We have to go in city asking for food. Go back in your place. Meditate.

It's a very big and bad turn this idea we are here for lay people.

And to become a sottipanna we have to understand ritual are not useful. So monk do many ritual but the first stage say it's totally useless.

For me it's totally unbelievable. I don't want to speak about Monk's reaction when I wanted to have money to Muslim neighbour. I am scare I don't want to become a monk anymore because when you become a monk you have to follow rules who it's against love and kindness.
Pali sutta are really matter. But I saw monk sang hours after hours many sutta. And just caring about people who think like them.

Sorry but I just had quite big trouble with monks and even conflict with a big leader monk who "care" about a big part of SL

And about king and garbage collector. I don't know for another people but for I feel that important. Because I come from place where money is everything.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Monk must not work.
I meant teaching Dhamma as a teacher and Dhamma propagation.
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

Sorry we are putting the topic the side.

But reach dhamma can not be regarding as a work. And he have to done without any idea of money or food or whatever.

I don't understand how we can teach dhamma. Everybody knows what is good and bad. But we can learn how to practice meditation. What the meaning of meditation. What we discover with that. In rural part of Sri Lanka south of anuradhapura, teacher told me monks around are looking how to build more and more and child don't have many information for that. Why? Because monks have just a monk dress. But nothing more. Chanting and go to ceremony is totally useless. On my point of view.

But I am desperate. I will go to Colombo to extend last time my visa and having 3 months to find suitable place. Of the possibility the practise by myself. If not I will go to an another country.

Obviously it's not because I could find any place suitable for me now that the truth for everyone. That truth for myself. As the Bouddha said don't trust anyone but do it yourself. Or something like that lol.

Peace. From trinco
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

I got a tips for the topic : if you go in na uyana, the Kuttis for gest are near from busy place. It was quite hard for me to practise. Furthermore I got mushroom (same you have in old fruit for example) everywhere in my Kuttis. I hope I saved my sleeping bad. Even my protection for my e-reader was cover by mushroom. Hopefully you can ask bleach. But still some clothes and sleeping bad smell.

Vajirarama next to Kandy : quiet place tick forest. A bulgerian monk who speaks perfect English stay there. You can work with. Ultra talkative. 1 month max. Not possible for ordination but not 100% sure.

The last one : empty shell. And too noisy from sea.perfect place for chanting.