Ajahn Brahm

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
santa100

Re: Ajahn Brahm

Post by santa100 »

tamdrin wrote:What is the prevailing consensus about him?
From AN 4.192:
AN 4.192 wrote:Monks, these four traits may be known by means of four [other] traits. Which four?

"It's through living together that a person's virtue may be known, and then only after a long period, not a short period; by one who is attentive, not by one who is inattentive; by one who is discerning, not by one who is not discerning.

"It's through dealing with a person that his purity may be known, and then only after a long period, not a short period; by one who is attentive, not by one who is inattentive; by one who is discerning, not by one who is not discerning.

"It's through adversity that a person's endurance may be known, and then only after a long period, not a short period; by one who is attentive, not by one who is inattentive; by one who is discerning, not by one who is not discerning.

"It's through discussion that a person's discernment may be known, and then only after a long period, not a short period; by one who is attentive, not by one who is inattentive; by one who is discerning, not by one who is not discerning.
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

In SE Asia and Sri Lanka, I think he is probably the most popular english speaking monk. His talks here draws audiences in the hundreds. When traveling, he packs his schedule with teachings sometimes up to 2 or 3 in a day. His youtube channel probably makes him the Theravadin monk with the greatest worldwide reach. As he is aware that he reaches such a large audience, many of which are totally new to Buddhism, he studiously keeps his talks relatable, light and humorous. I was informed he deliberately does not update his anecdotes and jokes often as he prefers that people whom he has introduced to Buddhism do not come to his talks repeatedly.

There is a waiting list of applicants to train at his monastery which he limits to only 25 monks. Now he is starting a branch so that the more senior monks can move out and make place for new monks.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

DooDoot wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:46 am ...But when the hardcore teachings are given in secret and the softcore teachings are given in public, when the guru passes away, what is left? :shrug:
Yes, I thought it strange that Bodhinyana Monastery didn't put those talks online. They're all recorded on audio, and edited to make good listening.
If people stay at the monastery they can ask to download them all, years of talks to the monks. And it's not a vinaya issue, as there are laypeople in the back of the hall listening to the talks.
It is odd. Maybe because he addresses things that are going on in the monastery, so it's a privacy thing. I dunno.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Too bad. There was a time the public could phone the monastery during an hour in the early evening. I spoke to Ajahn Brahm by phone once. :smile:
If I was Ahahn Brahm I would not talk to anyone on the phone. Perhaps via Dhamma Wheel. :tongue:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:00 am I thought he was a fool, a comedian monk, a monkey, when I just heard a couple of his YouTube talks.
Then a friend of mine dragged me along to visit his monastery, and I heard the very different talks he gives to his monks.
WOW serious and deep, no jokes, samatha meditation talk. Hardcore.
That's interesting. I find his warmth and humour very appealing.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Disciple

Post by Disciple »

He's the only Dharma teacher I listen to occasionally. With others I tend to fall asleep.
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

Ajahn Brahm is undoubtedly wise, but I feel that, from what I've heard and read, he places too much emphasis on jhana, and downplays how diverse the teachings are. Not everyone needs to, or can, strive to become an arahant in a single lifetime. Stream-entry, once-return, and non-return are noble attainments fully endorsed by the Buddha as well.
rolling_boulder

Post by rolling_boulder »

excellent teacher who sticks right to the Pali Canon and original teachings.

He probably posesses the jhanas and some stage of enlightenment, judging from how he teaches.
The world is swept away. It does not endure...
The world is without shelter, without protector...
The world is without ownership. One has to pass on, leaving everything behind...
The world is insufficient, insatiable, a slave to craving.
lost buddhist

Post by lost buddhist »

He tells stories as an fact that simply are not true, like the one well known example of a near death experience which has been totally debunked long ago. He likes to remind his audience that he is a scientist, while he seems to lack any scientific objectivity quite often.
He also seems to hold a narrow minded view that his approach to meditation is the only approach that can lead to a cessation.

I have very little faith in anything what he, or any member of his sangha tells, but I still do listen him some times, mainly because of his jokes..
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

I just picked up his book "mindfulness, bliss, and beyond". I hope it's good because it was kind of pricey at 715 baht.

Maybe I'll get into a jhana if I follow his steps... I can always hope :)
Zom

Post by Zom »

Maybe I'll get into a jhana if I follow his steps..
You won't 8-)
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

jhana is just calmness
lostitude

Post by lostitude »

tamdrin wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:53 pm I just picked up his book "mindfulness, bliss, and beyond". I hope it's good because it was kind of pricey at 715 baht.
I first discovered him on Youtube, and was immediately put off by the unbearably slow delivery and pointless little anecdotes that lead to nowhere and make the whole experience feel like a complete waste of time. What he says in 2 hours could be summarized in 5 minutes without losing anything important. Then I bought this book and wow, I couldn't believe the author was that very same person. It's a crystal-clear, no-nonsense, concise and to-the-point book, just the way I really wish at least some of his Youtube talks could be...
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

just the way I really wish at least some of his Youtube talks could be...
I think delivering to the mass and delivering to intellects are two different strategies.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”