Was the Buddha an avatar of lord vishnu?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
ihrjordan

Was the Buddha an avatar of lord vishnu?

Post by ihrjordan »

Reach the goal and find out for yourself...I think you may be surprised at the conclusion you come to :buddha2:
budo

Re: Was the Buddha an avatar of lord vishnu?

Post by budo »

Not according to Buddhism, and definitely not according to Theravada
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

How so? The Buddha never said he wasn't an avatar of lord vishnu and he certainly didn't deny the existence of a creator god. He said if there is a god he is to blame for this mass of suffering...indeed lol but as we know the sun gives life but it also brings destruction we need an equal balance of both. and while on the top he didn't deny the existence of a true self either...he stated that the five aggregates affected by suffering are not self. very different if you understand it correctly. What abou the five aggregates unaffected by suffering? Are they self? He doesn't say lol
Last edited by ihrjordan on Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

budo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:20 pm Not according to Buddhism, and definitely not according to Theravada
and to beg the question are you an arahant? If you havent reach the goal for yourself you're only parroting thing nyou've read online and in textbooks.
budo

Post by budo »

Buddhism is constantly being hijacked by hindus, atheists, altruists, political ideologists, you name it. Nothing but greed, greed, and more greed.
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

Not to mention that the buddha said to essentially throw his dharma away once you reach the goal...forget everything he taught in the same way that you leave behind a raft used to cross a river. You wouldn't carry it around the shore and in the forest with you...it'd be an unnesecary burden to do so. Be careful not get to caught up in intellectual pride. Only once you reach the goal can you confidently answer the question posed.
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

budo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:06 pm Buddhism is constantly being hijacked by hindus, atheists, altruists, political ideologists, you name it. Nothing but greed, greed, and more greed.
Well are they to blame or is it your over attachment to "Buddhism" which is the real problem? Think it over
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

I myself am no longer "buddhist" I just live and love my life. I fulfill my dharma on a day to day basis without even trying to do so. I don't want to be a "Buddhist" again either its just another identity which is subject to change and dissatisfaction. Being a buddhist a hindu or a christian signifies clinging to concepts an impermanent self Buddhists suffer the awakened do not. Did you know that the buddha wasn't a "buddhist"? lol
Last edited by ihrjordan on Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
budo

Post by budo »

Well, if something specific can be anything, then everything means nothing. Which reminds me, I forgot to add the taoists to the list of hijackers as well.
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

budo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:18 pm Well, if something specific can be anything, then everything means nothing. Which reminds me, I forgot to add the taoists to the list of hijackers as well.
I myself am no longer "buddhist" I just live and love my life. I fulfill my dharma on a day to day basis without even trying to do so. I don't want to be a "Buddhist" again either its just another identity which is subject to change and dissatisfaction. Being a buddhist a hindu or a christian signifies clinging to concepts of an impermanent self. Buddhists suffer the awakened do not. Did you know that the buddha wasn't a "buddhist"? lol

I wanted to make sure you read this have a good day
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

You appear to have an affinity for Bhikkhus Yuttadhammo and Samahita and believe they are arahants.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=33984#p506504

What do they about Buddha being an avatar of Vishnu?
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

DNS wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:30 pm You appear to have an affinity for Bhikkhus Yuttadhammo and Samahita and believe they are arahants.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=33984#p506504

What do they about Buddha being an avatar of Vishnu?
No I don't "believe" they are Arahants I know they are. Vishnu is is alpha and omega the begining and the end. Everything and nothing. Arahantship is going beyond concepts of "death" Nobody ever truly dies arahants just understand this with unshakeable confidence. As I've said before it takes an Arahant to point out other arahants. If you yourself aren't one then can you really be considered a good judge of character?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

ihrjordan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:36 pm No I don't "believe" they are Arahants I know they are.
Okay, then like I asked, what do they say about Buddha being an avatar of Vishnu? What do those Theravada bhikkhus say about that? Do they agree with you? Just curious.
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

no
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

IMO I would advise to go to the source text of this myth that the Buddha was an avatar of Viṣṇu. In the Viṣṇupurāṇa, Book III Section XVIII, Viṣṇu's descent and birth as the ascetic Gautama is explained an contextualized as a ploy to lead heretic asurāḥ (demonic titans) away from the Vedas, to cause them to reject the Vedas, to slander them, &c.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/vp/vp092.htm.

One can only assume that those asurāḥ became the early bhikṣusaṁgha, the followers of the heretic avatar Gautama, the heretic designed to lead them astray as punishment.

In my opinion this myth is an anti-Buddhist Hindu equivalent to a Chick tract.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.