Was the Buddha an avatar of lord vishnu?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
pilgrim

Re: Was the Buddha an avatar of lord vishnu?

Post by pilgrim »

ihrjordan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:32 pm How so? The Buddha never said he wasn't an avatar of lord vishnu
Poor reasoning.
I never said I'm Jesus Christ either. So am I him?
Those who make claims have to present their evidence.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
ihrjordan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:36 pm
budo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:20 pm Not according to Buddhism, and definitely not according to Theravada
and to beg the question are you an arahant? If you havent reach the goal for yourself you're only parroting thing nyou've read online and in textbooks.
Well that's a rather uncharitable position to take, given that Budo's answer was factually accurate.

However, in order to meet your own unrealistic standards for expressing an opinion on such matters, I'm assuming you're an arahant?

:shrug:

Either way, if you're here to proselytize Hinduism, please don't, and be aware of the Terms Of Service as they apply to such matters.

:thanks:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

The idea that Buddha was an avatar of Vishnu is being actively spread by right-wing Hindu nationalists within India. These right wing nationalists aren't as bad as western right wing nationalists (alt-right or nazis), but they still spread a lot of propaganda.
bridif1

Post by bridif1 »

ihrjordan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:32 pm How so? The Buddha never said he wasn't an avatar of lord vishnu.
I. Argumentum ad Ignorantiam: (appeal to ignorance) the fallacy that a proposition is true simply on the basis that it has not been proved false or that it is false simply because it has not been proved true. This error in reasoning is often expressed with influential rhetoric.
A. The informal structure has two basic patterns:

Statement p is unproved.
Not-p is true.

Statement not-p is unproved.
p is true.

B. If one argues that God or telepathy, ghosts, or UFO's do not exist because their existence has not been proven beyond a shadow of doubt, then this fallacy occurs.
C. On the other hand, if one argues that God, telepathy, and so on do exist because their non-existence has not been proved, then one argues fallaciously as well.

https://philosophy.lander.edu/logic/ignorance.html

Textbook fallacy.

Kind regards!
bridif1

Post by bridif1 »

ihrjordan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:32 pm And he certainly didn't deny the existence of a creator god.
And about the point about a creator god, this site might shed some light:
https://buddhism.stackexchange.com/ques ... no-creator

Have a wonderful day!
Just another Bhikkhu

Post by Just another Bhikkhu »

No I don't "believe" they are Arahants I know they are.
As I've said before it takes an Arahant to point out other arahants.

:bow:
binocular

Post by binocular »

ihrjordan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:17 pmWas the Buddha an avatar of lord vishnu?
Why would that matter?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

In any case Practice before conceptualizing should be prioritized. Then you can find out for yourself. Have a wonderful Sunny day everyone lol "hint hint"
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

binocular wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:10 pm
ihrjordan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:17 pmWas the Buddha an avatar of lord vishnu?
Why would that matter?
I don't believe I said that it does...And I certainly didn't try to convert anyone to "hinduism" as some people seem to imply...I'm not "hindu"
Follow the blessed one PRACTICE his teachings...You will go far
binocular

Post by binocular »

ihrjordan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:45 pm
Why would that matter?
I don't believe I said that it does...And I certainly didn't try to convert anyone to "hinduism" as some people seem to imply...I'm not "hindu"
So I infer you're talking about all this because then one can "go far"? Go far to where exactly?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

binocular wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:43 am
ihrjordan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:45 pm
Why would that matter?
So I infer you're talking about all this because then one can "go far"? Go far to where exactly?
Arahantship. Perfection. True happiness. Non-Buddhists can gain this too but they would have to at least ordain the heart A.K.A turn senses inward. And it may not be in this life. The buddha was Vishnu (The preserver) he didn't create dhamma he prolonged it and destroyed harmful doctrines.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

I would advise the OP does his homework on why Viṣṇu allegedly became the ascetic Gautama.

Once again, since it must have been hidden in the previous post and uneasy to see.

Viṣṇupurāṇa, Book III Section XVIII

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/vp/vp092.htm.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Whether or not the Buddha was an avatar of Vishnu is irrelevant, it doesn't provide any useful information.
Siṁsapā Sutta (SN 56.31) wrote: The things I have directly known but have not taught you are numerous, while the things I have taught you are few. And why, bhikkhus, have I not taught those many things? Because they are unbeneficial, irrelevant to the fundamentals of the holy life, and do not lead to revulsion, to dispassion, to cessation, to peace, to direct knowledge, to enlightenment, to Nibbāna. Therefore I have not taught them.
binocular

Post by binocular »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:39 pmWhether or not the Buddha was an avatar of Vishnu is irrelevant, it doesn't provide any useful information.
If the Buddha was an avatar of Vishnu, it makes the Hindu anti-Buddhist propaganda justified ... and the Buddhists wrong.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

binocular wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:33 pm If the Buddha was an avatar of Vishnu, it makes the Hindu anti-Buddhist propaganda justified ... and the Buddhists wrong.
I agree, but I don't think ihrjordan is anti-Buddhist. He is inviting us to ask ourselves his question and investigate, and that is the less general scope that I am addressing.