Difference between Buddhism in the West and in Asia

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
ChooChoo

Difference between Buddhism in the West and in Asia

Post by ChooChoo »

I came across this video on youtube earlier. Now the guy Brian Ruhe seems to be a to the far right of things. How ever the monk on this videos does make some valid points. Buddhism in the West can feel more like a "self help" organization for people instead of a religion. It seems to appeal to very liberal types. And my experience in meeting people from countries like Sri Lanka, Laos and Myanmar, Like my neighbors for example are Laotian. Very nice family and they are very conservative . I am interested in your thoughts.
Last edited by ChooChoo on Wed May 15, 2019 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
JamesTheGiant

Re: Difference between Buddhism in the West and in Asia

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Brian Ruhe, the outright fascist and Holocaust-denier?

Last edited by JamesTheGiant on Wed May 15, 2019 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChoo

Post by ChooChoo »

Yeah I just checked the rest of his channel pretty disturbing. Moderators feel free to remove this.

What about the monk though>?
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

ChooChoo wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:44 am I came across this video on youtube earlier. Now the guy Brian Ruhe seems to be a to the far right of things. How ever the monk on this videos does make some valid points. Buddhism in the West can feel more like a "self help" organization for people instead of a religion. It seems to appeal to very liberal types. And my experience in meeting people from countries like Sri Lanka, Laos and Myanmar, Like my neighbors for example are Laotian. Very nice family and they are very conservative . I am interested in your thoughts.
I recall we already had a topic about this, somewhere. Most of what the monk said sounded true to me (apart from what I recall was the monk's praising of Western imperialism & colonialism).
JamesTheGiant wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:21 am Brian Ruhe, the outright fascist and Holocaust-denier?
Brian mentioned me in his 1st book. I was the subject of one sentence. :D

:smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

The guy looks like he is literally LARPing
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
ChooChoo

Post by ChooChoo »

DooDoot wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:10 am
ChooChoo wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:44 am I came across this video on youtube earlier. Now the guy Brian Ruhe seems to be a to the far right of things. How ever the monk on this videos does make some valid points. Buddhism in the West can feel more like a "self help" organization for people instead of a religion. It seems to appeal to very liberal types. And my experience in meeting people from countries like Sri Lanka, Laos and Myanmar, Like my neighbors for example are Laotian. Very nice family and they are very conservative . I am interested in your thoughts.
I recall we already had a topic about this, somewhere. Most of what the monk said sounded true to me (apart from what I recall was the monk's praising of Western imperialism & colonialism).
JamesTheGiant wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:21 am Brian Ruhe, the outright fascist and Holocaust-denier?

Yeah I mean I pretty much agree with him too. I wouldn't have posted the video though had I looked through Brian ruhes channel before hand.

What did he say about you in the book?
ChooChoo

Post by ChooChoo »

Edit
Last edited by ChooChoo on Wed May 15, 2019 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChoo

Post by ChooChoo »

[/quote]

Yeah I mean I pretty much agree with the Monk too. I wouldn't have posted the video though had I looked through Brian ruhes channel before hand.

What did he say about you in the book?
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

ChooChoo wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:27 amWhat did he say about you in the book?
Not much. Maybe 25 years ago, I was the coordinator of his retreat at Suan Mokkh and I was telling & showing the group how to avoid & catch snakes that might enter their room. I had a Malayan Pit Viper in a jar of metho (which I accidentally BBQ'd in a rubbish pit), which I showed to the group. He wrote about the "Australian coordinator telling us about snakes, with a snake in a jar" or similar. :D
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
ChooChoo

Post by ChooChoo »

Yeah I really should have looked at the rest of his channel. I have to say I read the monks blog and It was a bit disturbing. I am not a lefty or a sjw but still going on a channel to chat an with known neo nazi is pretty disturbing.

I apologize to the forum. I dropped the ball on this one.
SDC

Post by SDC »

No worries, CC. However, we have spent far too much time on this topic in the past so we'll just close it down.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3