Semen retentive sex and Buddhist practice

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
squizzlebizzle

Re: Semen retentive sex and Buddhist practice

Post by squizzlebizzle »

budo wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:08 am
Volo wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:45 am So, you want to engage in sexual intercourse without emitting semen. I think this should be possible. But what does retention of semen have to do with elimination of sexual desire?
MN 22 wrote:“Bhikkhus, that one can engage in sensual pleasures without sensual desires, without perceptions of sensual desire, without thoughts of sensual desire — that is impossible.
Zom wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:55 pm
There is nothing wrong with having sex with your spouse if you are a householder, so why complicate things?
Because newcomers typically don't know what is Gradual Practice. Putting cart before the horse is their everything 8-)
Just stumbled onto this sutta:

“Sir, Ānanda, how on earth are we supposed to understand the teaching taught by the Buddha, when the chaste and the unchaste are both reborn in exactly the same place in the next life? My father Purāṇa was celibate, set apart, avoiding the common practice of sex. When he passed away the Buddha declared that he was a once-returner, who was reborn in the company of the Joyful Gods. But my uncle Isidatta was not celibate; he lived content with his wife. When he passed away the Buddha declared that he was also a once-returner, who was reborn in the company of the Joyful Gods.

How on earth are we supposed to understand the teaching taught by the Buddha, when the chaste and the unchaste are both reborn in exactly the same place in the next life?”

“You’re right, sister, but that’s how the Buddha declared it.”

Then Ānanda, after receiving almsfood at Migasālā’s house, rose from his seat and left. Then after the meal, on his return from alms-round, Ānanda went to the Buddha, bowed, sat down to one side, and told him what had happened.

“Ānanda, who is this laywoman Migasālā, a foolish incompetent matron, with a matron’s wit? And who is it that knows how to assess individuals?

These ten people are found in the world. What ten? Take a certain person who is unethical. And they don’t truly understand the freedom of heart and freedom by wisdom where that unethical conduct ceases without anything left over. And they’ve not listened or learned or comprehended theoretically or found even temporary freedom. When their body breaks up, after death, they’re headed for a lower place, not a higher. They’re going to a lower place, not a higher.

Take a certain person who is unethical. But they truly understand the freedom of heart and freedom by wisdom where that unethical conduct ceases without anything left over. And they have listened and learned and comprehended theoretically and found at least temporary freedom. When their body breaks up, after death, they’re headed for a higher place, not a lower. They’re going to a higher place, not a lower.

Judgmental people compare them, saying: ‘This one has just the same qualities as the other, so why is one worse and one better?’ This will be for their lasting harm and suffering.

In this case, the person who is unethical, but truly understands the freedom of heart … and has listened and learned and comprehended theoretically and found at least temporary freedom is better and finer than the other person. Why is that? Because the stream of the teaching carries them along. But who knows the difference between them except a Realized One? So, Ānanda, don’t be judgmental about people. Don’t pass judgment on people. Those who pass judgment on people harm themselves. I, or someone like me, may pass judgment on people.

The sutta then continues with different case scenarios with ethics and hindrances
If Isidatta had achieved Purāṇa’s level of ethical conduct, Purāṇa could not have even known Isidatta’s destination. And if Purāṇa had achieved Isidatta’s level of wisdom, Isidatta could not have even known Purāṇa’s destination. So both individuals were lacking in one respect.”
- AN 10.75
That's quite interesting, thank you for sharing. I will have to read the whole Sutta. AN10.75
squizzlebizzle

Post by squizzlebizzle »

frank k wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:23 pm
squizzlebizzle wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:48 am The idea that "energy is lost" due to lustful thoughts, more than due to ejaculation, is something I've only heard from you. I have never seen the Buddha say that the problem with craving is energy drain from the body. That sounds very incorrect to me.

In any case, withholding ejaculation is *exercising control* over lustful thoughts. In other words, ejaculation control is also lust control. If you are saying that we should have maximum control over lust, while having no restraint over ejaculation, then it is like saying you should have maximum control over your health while having no restraint over what you eat.
You just keep on doing what you're doing then.
You'll get what you deserve in the form of long term health issues that will ripen later in life when you need them the least.

You didn't read what I read carefully, and perhaps what I wrote was too terse and needs more explanation. But with your attitude I'm not going to bother trying to clarify.
Ill will is also a fetter, friend.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

squizzlebizzle wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:08 am
Pondera wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:22 am
form wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:22 am

Sure. We hv our own views. U will not be able to find chakras theories in the entire Theravada literature. The source I am talking about came from theosophy sources.
The Buddha did talk about these four totalities: the red, blue, yellow, and white totalities - external and unbounded (infinite in other words). He does not talk about where in the body the totalities make contact. But, if you believe in Chakras - the answer is quite simple.

What the OP is hinting at is the Kundalini method of opening the root chakra completely and then moving the energy up to the third eye (I think that’s how the method works). People with Kundalini awakening are known for going psychotic and ending up on psych wards.

Based on word of mouth, I would personally avoid Kundalini and I would advise others to also.

But I think opening the root chakra is the way to experience the red totality.

And then if you open your heart up a bit - the earth totality comes streaming in through the body. I think those two things are the source of rapture and pleasure. The earth totality brings rapture to the body - helps open the root chakra - and from there you get pleasure (along with serenity and tranquility).

Just my opinion.
This is quite interesting. May I ask,

>The Buddha did talk about these four totalities: the red, blue, yellow, and white totalities - external and unbounded (infinite in other words).

Where did he talk about this? could you name a sutta? i would like to read it

> People with Kundalini awakening are known for going psychotic and ending up on psych wards.

I would love to read about this, could you tell a place where I can read it?
Sure. I should be able to dig one up. My personal opinion that the colour kasina brings pleasure in particular is just an opinion. A tested and confirmed opinion ... but not something stated in the suttas. The Buddha did say to meditate on the kasinas however.

Now where did it go - ah! Here:
Furthermore, I have explained to my disciples a practice that they use to develop the ten universal dimensions of meditation. Someone perceives the meditation on universal earth above, below, across, non-dual and limitless. They perceive the meditation on universal water … the meditation on universal fire … the meditation on universal air … the meditation on universal blue … the meditation on universal yellow … the meditation on universal red … the meditation on universal white … the meditation on universal space … the meditation on universal consciousness above, below, across, non-dual and limitless. And many of my disciples meditate on that having attained perfection and consummation of insight.
https://suttacentral.net/mn77/en/sujato

It’s a long one and the quote is at the bottom.

And this about Kundalini:
The differentiation between spiritual emergency associated with Kundalini awakening may be viewed as an acute psychotic episode by psychiatrists who are not conversant with the culture. The biological changes of increased P300 amplitudes that occurs with certain yogic practices may lead to acute psychosis. Biological alterations by Yogic techniques may be used to warn people against such reactions.[53]
From Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini

Cheers, mate
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Slowlearner5

Post by Slowlearner5 »

Or maybe possibly what is meant is energy lost in recreating lost sperm. Well maybe if one is sexually active in my opinion. And more pertinent is to save energy in a tough living environment a hundred years ago.
But what of it, a low mood and non energetic meditation, so could some humour remedy that. Because imo it's not saving energy to create something but needing energy to realise something already present, and anyway purifying would be tiered higher than saving energy and purifying will reveal the guidance on that topic at the right time imo. Anyway just my tapping out an understanding or trying to understand on it.
squizzlebizzle

Post by squizzlebizzle »

Pondera wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:15 am
squizzlebizzle wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:08 am
Pondera wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:22 am

The Buddha did talk about these four totalities: the red, blue, yellow, and white totalities - external and unbounded (infinite in other words). He does not talk about where in the body the totalities make contact. But, if you believe in Chakras - the answer is quite simple.

What the OP is hinting at is the Kundalini method of opening the root chakra completely and then moving the energy up to the third eye (I think that’s how the method works). People with Kundalini awakening are known for going psychotic and ending up on psych wards.

Based on word of mouth, I would personally avoid Kundalini and I would advise others to also.

And then if you open your heart up a bit - the earth totality comes streaming in through the body. I think those two things are the source of rapture and pleasure. The earth totality brings rapture to the body - helps open the root chakra - and from there you get pleasure (along with serenity and tranquility).

Just my opinion.

>The Buddha did talk about these four totalities: the red, blue, yellow, and white totalities - external and unbounded (infinite in other words).

> People with Kundalini awakening are known for going psychotic and ending up on psych wards.

Sure. I should be able to dig one up. My personal opinion that the colour kasina brings pleasure in particular is just an opinion. A tested and confirmed opinion ... but not something stated in the suttas. The Buddha did say to meditate on the kasinas however.

Furthermore, I have explained to my disciples a practice that they use to develop the ten universal dimensions of meditation. Someone perceives the meditation on universal earth above, below, across, non-dual and limitless. They perceive the meditation on universal water … the meditation on universal fire … the meditation on universal air … the meditation on universal blue … the meditation on universal yellow … the meditation on universal red … the meditation on universal white … the meditation on universal space … the meditation on universal consciousness above, below, across, non-dual and limitless. And many of my disciples meditate on that having attained perfection and consummation of insight.
https://suttacentral.net/mn77/en/sujato

It’s a long one and the quote is at the bottom.

And this about Kundalini:
The differentiation between spiritual emergency associated with Kundalini awakening may be viewed as an acute psychotic episode by psychiatrists who are not conversant with the culture. The biological changes of increased P300 amplitudes that occurs with certain yogic practices may lead to acute psychosis. Biological alterations by Yogic techniques may be used to warn people against such reactions.[53]
From Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini

Cheers, mate

Is there anyone / anywhere that explains how to meditate on these universal colors and spaces? Which traditions will practice this?
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

squizzlebizzle wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 5:05 am [quote=Pondera post_id=513108 time=<a href="tel:1558084559">1558084559</a> user_id=4117]
[quote=squizzlebizzle post_id=513090 time=<a href="tel:1558062537">1558062537</a> user_id=15335]
[quote=Pondera post_id=512106 time=<a href="tel:1557458547">1557458547</a> user_id=4117]

Just my opinion.
[uote]

Is there anyone / anywhere that explains how to meditate on these universal colors and spaces? Which traditions will practice this?
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... on2011.pdf

If you open this in the “Adobe Reader” app, you can skip to the part about meditation. This is abhidhamma literature. The method prescribed by Buddhaghosa (the author) is quite particular. Keep in mind that, according, to the author, some outrageous number like 1 in 100,000,000 are able to reach jhana using meditation on a kasina.

And all four jhanas are accessible via the 10 kasinas.

It’s called “hard jhana” - and I don’t know much about it but it is practiced by Theravada monks.

I prefer a much easier approach to kasina meditation. For example - I assume the red chakra is where the red kasina appears in the human form. I practice particular methods of relaxation to open it. From there a red substance fills my body. I am mindful of it, and I experience pleasure both in my mind and in my body.

My approach is complicated by the fact that (from practice and observation) the pleasure derived from the red chakra can’t come about unless it arises in conjunction with the rapture associated with activation of the earth property in the body.

It sounds complicated - but it is far simpler than hard jhana and it is immediately accessible to anyone interested in it.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
squizzlebizzle

Post by squizzlebizzle »

where would one read instructions for this practice
squizzlebizzle

Post by squizzlebizzle »

Pondera wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 5:21 am
squizzlebizzle wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 5:05 am [quote=Pondera post_id=513108 time=<a href="tel:1558084559">1558084559</a> user_id=4117]
[quote=squizzlebizzle post_id=513090 time=<a href="tel:1558062537">1558062537</a> user_id=15335]
[quote=Pondera post_id=512106 time=<a href="tel:1557458547">1557458547</a> user_id=4117]

Just my opinion.
[uote]

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... on2011.pdf

If you open this in the “Adobe Reader” app, you can skip to the part about meditation. This is abhidhamma literature. The method prescribed by Buddhaghosa (the author) is quite particular. Keep in mind that, according, to the author, some outrageous number like 1 in 100,000,000 are able to reach jhana using meditation on a kasina.

And all four jhanas are accessible via the 10 kasinas.

It’s called “hard jhana” - and I don’t know much about it but it is practiced by Theravada monks.

I prefer a much easier approach to kasina meditation. For example - I assume the red chakra is where the red kasina appears in the human form. I practice particular methods of relaxation to open it. From there a red substance fills my body. I am mindful of it, and I experience pleasure both in my mind and in my body.

My approach is complicated by the fact that (from practice and observation) the pleasure derived from the red chakra can’t come about unless it arises in conjunction with the rapture associated with activation of the earth property in the body.

It sounds complicated - but it is far simpler than hard jhana and it is immediately accessible to anyone interested in it.

where would one read instructions for this practice
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Chapter IV - page 113. “The Earth Kasina”

Which is why I recommend downloading the “Adobe Reader” app. It will let you go straight to the page.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Or wait ... were you referring to my personal method? If so, check out the PDF linked in my signature. Everything you need to know is in there.
markandeya

Post by markandeya »

squizzlebizzle wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:48 am … I am curious the general consensus here on semen retention.

The Buddha taught celibacy. If you read the descriptions of the eightfold path in the Pali nikayas, you will see "right action" includes abstaining from sex. One disciple of the Buddha who broke the monastic rule against sex is told he would be better off if he stuck his penis in burning coals or in the mouth of a poisonous snake than in a woman.

The Buddha makes it clear that walking the path means letting go of sex eventually. But, its also pointed out in the pali nikayas that you can be a householder and gain stream entry. You can be married and gain stream entry. And, as far as I could tell in my best investigation of the topic, you can be sexually active and gain stream entry.

:hug: :namaste:
Buddha Dharma lay emphasis on Brahmacharya, which does not always mean being celebate, brahma is the ancient term for ultimate reality, its more of less impossible to translate it, its more of an ultimate principle that awakens the mind/citta and charya is code or way, so brahmacharya is a way of life which inlcudes all aspects of life to realize one's dhamma or true nature and the nature of all of things. Same as Bikkhu does not mean monk, it means one whose mind has turned within or away from following sense and sense objects for pleasure as this leads to exploitation and dukkha either for oneself and others.

One can be or practice Brahmacharya as a holder or in any position of life, householder in ancient times were simple known as one who possess a Body, the body is the house. So if you have a body your a householder, and brahmacharya is how you manage your household in alignment with the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.

Celibacy is another thing, to do this successfully one needs some direction, and strong supports in practice, getting up early, maybe working hard and doing certain practices especially if one is in late teens or early twenties when the desires are naturally more strong. Semen gets transformed in to ojas which are good for brain health and meditation and keeps the nervous system healthy and flowing, most of the excess semen will be passed in stool or in dreams, but wet dreams will mostly be stimulated by eating certain foods or to much heavy foods at night, which may promote dreams. One should be quite cautious about practising celibacy as it can cause suppression and neurosis, even among the Monks, who have ample support but poor understanding of Buddha Dharma and the practices.
auto

Post by auto »

i start doubt my understanding, what you mean by semen retention?
i assume you mean you get O-gasm but hold semen back?
So therefore you know about the physical point what you need press on to stop the semen flow out?
During dream or sleep state "O" the mind knows how to contract those muscles and forbids the semen flow out.

There is in body a mechanism what is awakened. It works with the lower abdomen energies and these energies come trigger-able by celibacy or abstinence the pressure gathers.

celibacy isn't a requirement at first to do progress and is pointless doing as of you need O-gasm. O is needed because there will in head something descend by it, the O is not just a feeling we are addicted to, besides that there is base mechanics. After that there will activate energies what urge to cheat or do something bad since this life at hand becomes boring and tedious you have seen it all feeling, so you need use will to tame it and get over it and this feeling will be the aim.

The nocturnal O-gasm mechanism is different way or mechanics. It arrives naturally by worldly attachment when it gets activated. The household life trigger sexual life is below the biological.
--
That something what descends is manually sent down via meditation too, it isn't orgasmic event but is mindblowing regardless. It is absolute neccessity to get it done to get the lower abdomen into cooking mode and is sort of first spiritual milestone. And to do it depends on your mundane decisions and thoughts what then gives you ability to send IT down, its by using both brain sides at the same time by using eyes as one, basically you need discover the faculty or seeing what allows you to see behind objects, of course you won't see for real, but the awareness or landscape is, you don't see 2D but 3D. That vision is connection directly to lower abdomen..
squizzlebizzle

Post by squizzlebizzle »

Pondera wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:37 am
squizzlebizzle wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:02 am
Pondera wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:51 pm Squizzle Bizzle

I wouldn’t recommend messing with your chakras. Your root chakra is at your root for a reason. And your heart chakra is the same. “Drawing” energy from your root to your heart - I think that’s a recipe for disaster.

How often do you masturbate? How often do you look at porn? If you do at all, I’d recommend stopping all together. Your wife will thank you.

Keep in mind - if you’re newly married - get it while you can. After ten years, believe me, it will slow down. And just bust a nut, man.

If you can practice restraint from porn and masturbation, then busting a nut three times a week during intercourse is just giving your self a treat. Or five times a week. I don’t know how active you are.

In other words. Give up. Practice normal marital relations, don’t jerk off, don’t look at porn - and search for the real “pleasure” - meditative pleasure.

Why do you think this is a recipe for disaster?

I don't masturbate or watch porn at all.
Well, the root chakra is a “red” energy for starters. What would compel you to transfer “red” energy into a green space?

My advice, feel free to open your root chakra as much as possible - just don’t force the chakra into another one. I haven’t tried doing this - so I don’t know. If you’re reading elsewhere that such practice is beneficial - well. By all means. My recommendation - leave the chakras where they are.

Don’t masturbate or look at porn? Good for you. That’s one less obstacle you have to address. I don’t either. My point?

I’ll share something with you. I was intimate with my wife one day and I was focusing on my root chakra. Out of nowhere I had about ten or fifteen orgasms in a row without any emission. It was pretty amazing. But sex is just sex. There are far more pleasant feelings to pursue. And Theravada promotes them.

Don’t worry about the sex too much. You don’t have to be a semen expert to benefit from the tipikata.

feel free to open your root chakra as much as possible

how ?
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Release of tension in root chakra allows sexual energy to flow. The easiest way to open it is to turn your thoughts towards sexual fantasy (imagery of women, if you’re strait - imagery of men if you’re gay - or bi - or whatever your preference is).

But there are many other ways to release the root chakra. Relax tension in the bottom of your heart. Release tension in your right temporal lobe. Release tension in the earth chamber of your heart.

The root chakra leads to pleasure. So, experience rapture. Rapture has pleasure as its reward. But in order to know where the earth chamber of your heart is you should follow these steps - bottom of the heart - root chakra - right temporal lobe - earth chamber of the heart.

Anyway. That’s the technique I go by. For many reasons, I don’t think I would be where I am today without these techniques. And I wouldn’t necessarily recommend them to you or anyone else. I have no idea if they’re universally effective.

Cheers
budo

Post by budo »

Pondera wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:42 am Release of tension in root chakra allows sexual energy to flow. The easiest way to open it is to turn your thoughts towards sexual fantasy (imagery of women, if you’re strait - imagery of men if you’re gay - or bi - or whatever your preference is).

But there are many other ways to release the root chakra. Relax tension in the bottom of your heart. Release tension in your right temporal lobe. Release tension in the earth chamber of your heart.

The root chakra leads to pleasure. So, experience rapture. Rapture has pleasure as its reward. But in order to know where the earth chamber of your heart is you should follow these steps - bottom of the heart - root chakra - right temporal lobe - earth chamber of the heart.

Anyway. That’s the technique I go by. For many reasons, I don’t think I would be where I am today without these techniques. And I wouldn’t necessarily recommend them to you or anyone else. I have no idea if they’re universally effective.

Cheers
Not to derail the thread, but how do you "release"? I read your pdf, and there isn't really any technical how-to. Do you do it with just directing your attention until something happens? and by "Something happening" meaning an emotional response? Thanks.