If you met the Awakened One

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ceisiwr

If you met the Awakened One

Post by Ceisiwr »

If you met the Buddha and had the chance to ask only one question what would you ask?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
SarathW

Re: If you met the Awakened One

Post by SarathW »

Did you teach re-birth and Kamma? if so prove to me that you are right.
:D
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

SarathW wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:17 am Did you teach re-birth and Kamma? if so prove to me that you are right.
:rofl:

If you don't prove it to me I am going strait back home.

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

SarathW wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:17 am Did you teach re-birth and Kamma? if so prove to me that you are right.
If he said take it on faith would you?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Saddhā wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:02 am
If he said take it on faith would you?
Yes. I would.
Because it is coming straight from Buddha, not from hearsay.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

I'd offer him some food. Sooo much merit!

Then after the meal I'd ask for a teaching, and he being able to see my mind and know the most suitable teaching, would given me the best lesson for my mind, and in no long time I'd attain to etc etc...
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:14 am Then after the meal I'd ask for a teaching, and he being able to see my mind and know the most suitable teaching, would given me the best lesson for my mind, and in no long time I'd attain to etc etc...
You are a real student, James.
:heart:
Mike
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

Saddhā wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:09 am If you met the Buddha and had the chance to ask only one question what would you ask?
Like James, ask for advice.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha
Sol

Post by Sol »

- "How am I?"

The courtesy of asking how things are becomes a deep inquiry.
JMGinPDX

Post by JMGinPDX »

I'm more of a Zen guy, so if I met the Buddha, I would kill the Buddha. :)

I know I know I know...that's not what the OP meant.
If I could travel back in time and actually come face to face with him, and could speak his language (or more likely he could see my mind well enough to "speak" mine)...I'd probably not ask him anything. Words are not enough. I'd just appreciate being in his presence and soaking it in.
Right now, it's like this...
budo

Post by budo »

JMGinPDX wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:48 pm I'm more of a Zen guy, so if I met the Buddha, I would kill the Buddha. :)
And instantly die and be reborn in the lowest level of hell for a long long long time.
JMGinPDX

Post by JMGinPDX »

budo wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:57 pm
JMGinPDX wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:48 pm I'm more of a Zen guy, so if I met the Buddha, I would kill the Buddha. :)
And instantly die and be reborn in the lowest level of hell for a long long long time.
Well, sure, if I literally executed the actual living Sakyamuni Buddha physically standing right before me.
But as I indicated in my followup, I was joking.

And that's not what the Zen parable is about, either - if I "see" the Buddha, then I've immediately turned the Buddha into a THING, into an object of attachment, and that's going to hinder my true progress, so I must "kill" my conceptualization of the Buddha in order to get to the truth. That sorta thing.

But now that I had to explain the joke, it's not funny anymore, assuming it was slightly humorous to begin with.............
Right now, it's like this...
budo

Post by budo »

JMGinPDX wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:06 pm
budo wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:57 pm
Well, sure, if I literally executed the actual living Sakyamuni Buddha physically standing right before me.
But as I indicated in my followup, I was joking.

And that's not what the Zen parable is about, either - if I "see" the Buddha, then I've immediately turned the Buddha into a THING, into an object of attachment, and that's going to hinder my true progress, so I must "kill" my conceptualization of the Buddha in order to get to the truth. That sorta thing.

But now that I had to explain the joke, it's not funny anymore, assuming it was slightly humorous to begin with.............
Yes I understood what you meant, but you didn't understand my insinuation: that we're on a Theravada forum.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

budo wrote:
JMGinPDX wrote: I'm more of a Zen guy, so if I met the Buddha, I would kill the Buddha. :)
Buddha's don't have the karma to be killed
Last edited by cappuccino on Fri May 17, 2019 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
bodom

Post by bodom »

What practicing Buddhist tradition today got it right..or the closest. :tongue:

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB