Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
cappuccino

Re: Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Post by cappuccino »

retrofuturist wrote: That is true if one places Buddhism over all other world-views, and takes the Canon as infallible.
how to accept & reject?

just according to your taste?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings cappuccino,

That's for each to determine for themselves. I told you my criteria, and I have zero interest in imposing it upon others, because any attempt to impose one's private criteria as a common criteria for others, is to disregard their intellectual and/or spiritual autonomy.

Any deeper analysis of my personal reasoning will be off-topic, so I suggest we leave it there and get...

:focus:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

I reject only the Jataka tales & Abhidhamma
budo

Post by budo »

retrofuturist wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:31 pm Greetings Budo,
budo wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:27 pm So anyone who accepts the complete canon (Tripitaka) or later "Buddhisms" cannot complain about misogyny or authenticity and must accept this as well.
That is true if one places Buddhism over all other world-views, and takes the Canon as infallible.

There may be perfectly valid reasons why people don't do one or another. (See my above post for more details)

Be wary of responding to intolerance with intolerance, or other akusala states. We should not foresake our Right Effort on account of others. :meditate:

Metta,
retrofuturist wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:10 am Greetings cappuccino,

That's for each to determine for themselves. I told you my criteria, and I have zero interest in imposing it upon others, because any attempt to impose one's private criteria as a common criteria for others, is to disregard their intellectual and/or spiritual autonomy.

Any deeper analysis of my personal reasoning will be off-topic, so I suggest we leave it there and get...

:focus:

Metta,

I respect their autonomy, they don't have to click on the thread, they don't have to read the text. I don't see why Theravadans should give up their borders (Autonomy) to respect non-Theravadans views on a Theravadin forum. Autonomy relies on boundaries, it's the Zen and Mahayanists who are not respecting the autonomy of this forum.

Do you see the problem with leftism and their ideas? They deny boundaries except for when it suits them. Whether it's nations, races, genders, money and economical classes, everything they do is to remove boundaries, this is why they love taoism, zen, advaita etc.. Because they think they have the authority to determine what the boundaries are so they can feel in control. The Buddha's Dhamma isn't about destroying boundaries, you don't have to destroy heaven and hell to attain nibbana. It's not your job to "save the world", which is an impossible task. The definition of discernment is seeing the differences in things, not denying the differences in things.

As long as I'm on a Theravadan forum, I will continue to post Theravadan texts regardless of what people outside of Theravada think. They give up their autonomy to views when they enter a forum regarding specific views.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings budo,
budo wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:23 am I respect their autonomy, they don't have to click on the thread, they don't have to read the text. I don't see why Theravadans should give up their borders (Autonomy) to respect non-Theravadans views on a Theravadin forum.
They don't, you don't, we don't.
budo wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:23 am it's the Zen and Mahayanists who are not respecting the autonomy of this forum.
I don't necessarily think that's the case, but you're welcome to report any posts where you think the sub-forum, and/or the topic are not being regarded appropriately. Section 1 & 2i of the Terms of Service cover precisely that territory.
budo wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:23 am Do you see the problem with leftism and their ideas?
That's a question for another forum. But I will say, using the example I gave above about people who follow the Dhamma and Vegetarianism, that those who follow Vegetarianism should not try to shoehorn their Vegetarianism into the Dhamma and say that theirs is the only one true way to properly manifest wisdom and compassion etc... so I guess you could draw parallels, as these external paths interface back to the Dhamma.
budo wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:23 am The definition of discernment is seeing the differences in things, not denying the differences in things.
Agreed.
budo wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:23 amAs long as I'm on a Theravadan forum, I will continue to post Theravadan texts regardless of what people outside of Theravada think.
That's fine, but I suggest you spend more time doing just that, and less time on those who might get "triggered" by that.
budo wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:23 am They give up their autonomy to views when they enter a forum regarding specific views.
They don't give up their autonomy per se, but we all need to recognise Section 4 of the Terms of Service...
At Dhamma Wheel, we respect your intellectual and spiritual autonomy. As such, the staff here will not enforce reverence to anyone or anything, nor censor speech gratuitously. In keeping with this respect for your autonomy, we expect you to be personally responsible for your own emotions and responses. If there are forum members you do not wish to engage with, please apply restraint and/or register them in the system as foes - do not publicly complain about them.

Speech and actions are moderated strictly and impartially according to the standards defined in the Terms of Service - not to the standard of Sutta, Vinaya, personal preference, nor any other code and/or standard of conduct.
I think that's enough about that... probably time get back on topic to sharing Dhamma teachings that adherents of other ideologies might find "problematic".

:popcorn:

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

How about some Dhamma that SJW can digest?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
chownah

Post by chownah »

How about defining exactly what an sjw is?
chownah
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

chownah wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:17 am
How about defining exactly what an sjw is?
chownah
:goodpost:

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

budo wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:23 am
As long as I'm on a Theravadan forum, I will continue to post Theravadan texts regardless of what people outside of Theravada think. They give up their autonomy to views when they enter a forum regarding specific views.
budo
But why associate Theravadan texts with pejorative language and to degenerate? That is something that budo has done not the Buddha.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

chownah wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:17 am How about defining exactly what an sjw is?
chownah
Someone who pushes for acceptance over tolerance at the expense of freedom of speech and expression.
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Tue May 21, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

chownah wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:17 am How about defining exactly what an sjw is?
chownah
As this thread was started immediately after a robust exchange of views with Aloka was locked, my guess is that an sjw is herein defined as "a woman who gets the last word in".
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:04 pm
chownah
As this thread was started immediately after a robust exchange of views with Aloka was locked, my guess is that an sjw is herein defined as "a woman who gets the last word in".

:rofl:

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

chownah
Here's some info from: "How the Term 'Social Justice Warrior' Became an Insult"

According to the Oxford Dictionary, a social justice warrior is a derogatory term for “A person who expresses or promotes socially progressive views.”

Know Your Meme gives us a better idea of the nature of these negative connotations. Used derogatively, a social justice warrior is:

a pejorative label applied to bloggers, activists and commentators who are prone to engage in lengthy and hostile debates against others on a range of issues concerning social injustice, identity politics and political correctness. In contrast to the social justice blogosphere at large, the stereotype of a social justice warrior is distinguished by the use of overzealous and self-righteous rhetorics [sic], as well as appealing to emotions over logic and reason.

In other words, calling someone a social justice warrior implies that the accuser thinks the other person is an unreasonable, hostile, and self-interested internet user with a progressive agenda.

But this was not always the case. A decade ago, calling someone a social justice warrior was merely a description, and in some cases, even a compliment.

https://fee.org/articles/how-the-term-s ... an-insult/

chownah

Post by chownah »

clw_uk wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:58 am
chownah
Someone who pushes for acceptance over tolerance at the expense of free speech and expression.
...but....according to another post:
According to the Oxford Dictionary, a social justice warrior is a derogatory term for “A person who expresses or promotes socially progressive views.”
....so....is this discussion supposed to be about "someone who pushes for acceptance over tolerance at the expense of free speech and expression"....or is it about "a person who expresses or promotes socially progressive views"? These two definitions really do define two completely different sets of people....it would be nice if we knew what people were talking about rather than to leave it undefined and up to each person's imagination to come up with whatever biased definition that person is subject to without the rest of us being aware of just what it is they are talking about.
chownah
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

chownah

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urband ... s&amp=true

SJWs
(Social Justice Warriors) The overly offended blindly ignorant scum of the internet whom’st report anything and everything that offends them.
SJWs keep reporting my memes

SJW
Social Justice Warrior. A pejorative term for an individual who repeatedly and vehemently engages in arguments on social justice on the Internet, often in a shallow or not well-thought-out way, for the purpose of raising their own personal reputation. A social justice warrior, or SJW, does not necessarily strongly believe all that they say, or even care about the groups they are fighting on behalf of. They typically repeat points from whoever is the most popular blogger or commenter of the moment, hoping that they will "get SJ points" and become popular in return. They are very sure to adopt stances that are "correct" in their social circle.

The SJW's favorite activity of all is to dogpile. Their favorite websites to frequent are Livejournal and Tumblr. They do not have relevant favorite real-world places, because SJWs are primarily civil rights activists only online.
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa