Pannobhasa on homosexuality, transsexuality, and pandaka

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Pannobhasa on homosexuality, transsexuality, and pandaka

Post by Sam Vara »

David Reynolds shares his (surprisingly mild, and apparently orthodox) views on sexual orientation, etc. This could have gone in the ordination or personal relationships sections, but seems to overlap.

http://politicallyincorrectdharma.blogs ... ality.html
Ceisiwr

Re: Pannobhasa on homosexuality, transsexuality, and pandaka

Post by Ceisiwr »

So because I’m a bottom I can’t be ordained despite having had sex with less people when compared to the average straight male or female? I mean, how would they know I’m a bottom? The article also assumes that being the bottom, or receptive partner, equates to being more feminine. This isn’t strictly true.

I do agree that the average gay man has had more partners compared to a straight man. This is partly because of the lack of females in our relationships, which makes hedonistic sex easier, but it’s also due to the stigma and oppression we have been subject too which forced us into casual sex/one night stands, thus contributing towards the hook up and drug fulled culture which we are still shaking off.

This is actually partly why I supported gay marriage. Apart from the human rights issue I also viewed it as a means to abolish this hedonistic cultural hangup through providing a means for gay men to commit to each other fully in a tolerant society, which would help to reduce the sexual hedonism.
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Sun May 26, 2019 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:11 am So because I’m a bottom I can’t be ordain...
Don't worry, you CAN be ordained. Monks who say that gay/bi guys can't ordain are a tiny insignificant minority.

Even that alt-right bhikkhu admits:
An effeminate gay man who is ordained remains ordained,
Last edited by JamesTheGiant on Sun May 26, 2019 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:18 am
Ceisiwr wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:11 am So because I’m a bottom I can’t be ordain...
Don't worry, you CAN be ordained. Monks who say that gay/bi guys can't ordain are in a tiny insignificant minority.
Oh I’m not worried. I know it’s nonsense. Not to get too crass but the Buddha allowed for “men who swallow seamen” to be ordained. That pretty much covers gays.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Wasn’t there also a monk who was infatuated with the Buddha’s looks within the suttas? Sounds pretty gay or bi to me.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Personally, I regard the comment below as not conforming to Buddhism given to be bisexual appears to infer a person must be promiscuous. Regardless, if Ram Dass suffered when he could not get enough sex, I doubt he was a highly spiritually advanced individual. "Bisexual", for me, is quite out there, in respect to Buddhist principles.
Also, one of my first spiritual guides in this life, Ram Dass, was bisexual, and evidently preferred sleeping with guys—and he was, and still is, a relatively highly spiritually advanced individual.
Last edited by DooDoot on Sun May 26, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

I can’t help but feel that the Bhikkhu is inserting the red pill into the Dhamma where it is not needed.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Just browsing the article but the following looks wrong:
From the perspective of strict Buddhist ethics, practically ALL sexuality, hetero- or otherwise, is immoral, or unskillful; this is because sexual behavior increases desire and attachment, which according to the second Noble Truth of Buddhism is the cause of all suffering.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:33 am I can’t help but feel that the Bhikkhu is inserting the red pill into the Dhamma where it is not needed.
While I love disagreeing with you, I must agree with the above. I think no matter how much the article is based in Buddhism, it goes too far in its intent. Also, the following is more non-sense.
And so it’s not all bad for homosexuals, transsexuals, androgynes, non-binary gender queers, etc. etc., from a strictly Buddhist perspective. In Eckhart Tolle’s first famous book he declares that, in one sense at least, gays have (or used to have until recently) the spiritual advantage of being outsiders to mainstream samsaric culture, making it easier for them to have some detachment from the chronic raging insanity that prevails in the secular world.
:smile: Anyway, I am late. I must go to my gay friends house & watch the Islamic series called "Resurrection: Ertugrul" on Netflix.
Last edited by DooDoot on Sun May 26, 2019 9:58 am, edited 5 times in total.

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

A whole stack of posts that have nothing whatsoever to do with this topic have been removed.

Come on, people.

:focus:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

DooDoot
:smile: Anyway, I am late. I must go to my gay friends house & watch the Islamic series called "Resurrection: Ertugrul" on Netflix.

You fiend! Enjoy friend :popcorn:
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

retrofuturist wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:52 am Greetings,

A whole stack of posts that have nothing whatsoever to do with this topic have been removed.

Come on, people.

Metta,
Paul. :)

I blame Mara :spy: :jumping:

robertk

Post by robertk »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:25 am Wasn’t there also a monk who was infatuated with the Buddha’s looks within the suttas? Sounds pretty gay or bi to me.
the article starts with the story of Soreyya, a gay man who craved a monk
And he later became an arahat.
form

Post by form »

robertk wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:43 am
Ceisiwr wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:25 am Wasn’t there also a monk who was infatuated with the Buddha’s looks within the suttas? Sounds pretty gay or bi to me.
the article starts with the story of Soreyya, a gay man who craved a monk
And he later became an arahat.
This is from which sutta?