The New Yorker's cartoons fail to cheer me up

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
polo

The New Yorker's cartoons fail to cheer me up

Post by polo »

I didn't realize I was that depressed because after reading the The New Yorker's cartoon I didn't laugh at all. Nothing happened.
I used to like those cartoons so much that I looked forward to them. Well, what is happening now?
What did Buddha say about depression?
Kim OHara

Re: The New Yorker's cartoons fail to cheer me up

Post by Kim OHara »

Perhaps the cartoons were never very funny to anyone aware of "suffering and the causes of suffering". After all, why do we laugh? Often because it's better than crying or getting angry.
All those racist and sexist jokes - are they as funny as they used to be? Is Trump still something to laugh about, or are you gritting your teeth and looking forward to his removal? Etc.

:thinking:
Kim
budo

Post by budo »

Is someone who doesn't laugh at fart jokes depressed?
Dan74-MkII

Post by Dan74-MkII »

polo wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:23 pm I didn't realize I was that depressed because after reading the The New Yorker's cartoon I didn't laugh at all. Nothing happened.
I used to like those cartoons so much that I looked forward to them. Well, what is happening now?
Do you feel joy from other sources, polo? What makes you think you are depressed?
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Interesting idea. I have the opposite feeling--when I read New Yorker cartoons, I feel sad. :rofl:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Don't read / look at New Yorker's cartoons.

Problem solved. :tongue:
alan

Post by alan »

Sipress-HowtoStaySaneasaCartoonistinTrumpland_01.jpg
polo

Post by polo »

Kim OHara wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:44 pm Perhaps the cartoons were never very funny to anyone aware of "suffering and the causes of suffering". After all, why do we laugh? Often because it's better than crying or getting angry.
All those racist and sexist jokes - are they as funny as they used to be? Is Trump still something to laugh about, or are you gritting your teeth and looking forward to his removal? Etc.

:thinking:
Kim
When Bush was elected president I thought that was bad. And now Trump, what do you want me to say? No wonder I got so depressed.
polo

Post by polo »

Dan74-MkII wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:01 pm
polo wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:23 pm I didn't realize I was that depressed because after reading the The New Yorker's cartoon I didn't laugh at all. Nothing happened.
Do you feel joy from other sources, polo? What makes you think you are depressed?
What makes me think I am depressed ? When you lost your job, sitting around wondering what to do next. Things get worst when you look at politicians' faces on newspapers and on TV. Throwing tomatoes or eggs at them is not good enough . They need to be slapped in the face, honestly.
The only joy remains is when I am in the supermarket I see chubby little baby in pram. I smile at them and make faces at them they smile back. They made me feel good. Sometimes I talk to them but only those chubby ones. I love fat babies.
polo

Post by polo »

dharmacorps wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:48 pm Interesting idea. I have the opposite feeling--when I read New Yorker cartoons, I feel sad. :rofl:
You need to talk to somebody, you need help my friend. Because Ted Bundy said the same thing.