Anatta and Dukkha

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Germann

Anatta and Dukkha

Post by Germann »

If no one is suffering, why is it suffering?
Srilankaputra

Re: Anatta and Dukkha

Post by Srilankaputra »

But, at least I am subject to suffering. And I do want to get out of suffering.

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Germann wrote:If no one is suffering, why is it suffering?
Because until one's actually attained enlightenment, all the "no one is suffering" stuff is just mere talk. One could know all the best recipes in the world but if s/he's yet able to cook a decent meal, one will continue to remain being hungry.
Dan74-MkII

Post by Dan74-MkII »

Suffering is precisely the lack of this realisation that there is no one suffering. Once we really get it, there is no more suffering.
Akashad

Post by Akashad »

Ignorance is suffering.
Germann

Post by Germann »

Dan74-MkII wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:44 pm Suffering is precisely the lack of this realisation that there is no one suffering. Once we really get it, there is no more suffering.
Who are we?
Germann

Post by Germann »

Srilankaputra wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:14 pm But, at least I am subject to suffering. And I do want to get out of suffering.
Do you exist?
Germann

Post by Germann »

santa100 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:34 pm
Because until one's actually attained enlightenment, all the "no one is suffering" stuff is just mere talk. One could know all the best recipes in the world but if s/he's yet able to cook a decent meal, one will continue to remain being hungry.
Who is "one", does he exist?
Germann

Post by Germann »

An example of suffering: physical pain after achieving arahant status.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Germann wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:08 pm
santa100 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:34 pm
Who is "one", does he exist?
Who is Germann, does Germann exist? And no cheap talk here, by "not existing", Germann should have absolute zero fear when someone is about to stick a knife into Germann's belly, right?
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

Germann wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:05 pm
Srilankaputra wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:14 pm But, at least I am subject to suffering. And I do want to get out of suffering.
Do you exist?

I know what you are trying to do. You have probably prepared some elaborate logical trap, to ensnare us in doubt. So I refuse to humour you.

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

Germann wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:02 pm If no one is suffering, why is it suffering?
The is 5 focuses of identity (form, feeling, perception, mental formation, consciousness). There is identity, but there is no permanent identity.
When some one buy a car, and this car is broken, this person suffer about it, why this person suffer? Because there is identification with car, there is me, mine, myself.
This self-identification is caused by ignorance. When there is no ignorance, one sees, hears, smels, tastes, tuches, thinks this world as it is, as a film, as illusion, as not me, not mine, not my self, as just seen, heared, smeld, tasted, tuched, thinked, just as information, there is no interpretation of information, no prolifération, no fermentation, no being-in this information, no desire for this information, no suffering about this information.
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
Jerafreyr

Post by Jerafreyr »

If all is dependently arisen from causes and conditions, then there is nothing that can be said to ultimately exist. Not even suffering exists, let alone a thing called a self. The path is the grounds of realization for developing the aptitude for sunyata.
Dan74-MkII

Post by Dan74-MkII »

Germann wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:04 pm
Dan74-MkII wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:44 pm Suffering is precisely the lack of this realisation that there is no one suffering. Once we really get it, there is no more suffering.
Who are we?
For as long as we experience as 'we', we speak of 'we'. Even after, it can be convenient to use 'I' and 'we'.
budo

Post by budo »

Germann wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:02 pm If no one is suffering, why is it suffering?
The process of rebirth (dependent origination) is impersonal, doesn't mean pain doesn't exist.

Pain is mostly perception anyways. What feels painful to one person is pleasurable to another, take for example body builders or people in extreme sports.