Results of past karma

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
alfa

Results of past karma

Post by alfa »

:namaste:

Is it true that most of the things we experience now is the result of past karma?

If so, do these results only manifest as outward events (such as illness, accident, winning lottery, etc.)?

Or do they also manifest as our subjective experiences like anger, sadness, etc.?

:anjali:
sunnat

Re: Results of past karma

Post by sunnat »

In the sense that anusaya latent tendencies deep in the subconscious are related to sankhara:
"All kamma (actions) are done with sankhāra. They all have origins in the mind."
https://puredhamma.net/living-dhamma/dh ... a-anusaya/
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

No. Most of what we experience in this life is caused by other factors, not by kamma done in previous lives.

See the Sīvaka Sutta

Extracts from Buddhist Wisdom (Mahāgandhayon Sayādaw)

Kamma Always Follows You
213. Kamma is the deed done with good or bad intention. So long as one has not got rid of ignorance and desire, the consequences of kamma will not fade out. Like the embers covered with ashes, these consequences will flare up when the occasion arises.

214. Heedless people’s thoughts tend towards evil deeds so the chances of unwholesome consequences always follow them.

Kamma is Not to Blame
215. People put the blame on kamma. They believe that good fortune will come when kamma is on the rise, and that they will meet failure and misfortune when their kamma is down. They are labouring under this misconception. One should not depend entirely upon one’s kamma; there is a saying, “If one treads on thorns one will still have one’s foot pricked.”

216. People blame everything on kamma. The Buddha advised improvement by intelligence and diligence. If people blame kamma they are ignoring the Buddha’s teaching, and simultaneously do a disservice to the nation by their fatalistic view.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
santa100

Post by santa100 »

alfa wrote:Is it true that most of the things we experience now is the result of past karma?
Yes... only if by "past kamma", you included all actions done since countless previous life times up until the split moment before the event happens. A not-so-bright student might flunk an exam due to some negative past kamma from previous lives that impacts his current mental capability, but a bright student could also flunk the same exam because of his instant kamma of being overconfident and endulging in a very late night party right before the exam.
Zom

Post by Zom »

Is it true that most of the things we experience now is the result of past karma?

If so, do these results only manifest as outward events (such as illness, accident, winning lottery, etc.)?

Or do they also manifest as our subjective experiences like anger, sadness, etc.?
Kamma is a long-term process of causes and conditions, and it is insanely complex as it goes unseen while handling millions of things and situations of all material and mental world deminsions with regards to 1 particular living being (owner of this very kamma). So, the fruit of kamma always manifests itself in this or that material or/and mental phenomenon by these or those material or/and mental conditions. However, many mental and material phenomenons may have their own conditions in which kamma as a process doesn't take place at all.
you included all actions done since countless previous life times up until
I'm pretty sure "countless previous lives" kamma theory is wrong. Kamma is quite limited, not unlimited.
but a bright student could also flunk the same exam because of his instant kamma of being overconfident
This is not kamma.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

This is not kamma.
So why did that bright student flunk the exam? Some unknown mysterious force? Are you saying that bright student's action of neglecting his homework and going to late night parties right before the exam have absolutely nothing to do with his flunking the exam?
Zom

Post by Zom »

So why did that bright student flunk the exam? Some unknown mysterious force?
Simply because he didn't know the answer, that's why. That was the real reason behind it - and not some mysterious force aka kamma .)
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Simply because he didn't know the answer, that's why. That was the real reason behind it - and not some mysterious force aka kamma .)
So let me guess, the kamma that enable you to join and discuss on DW is simply because you have a hand and some fingers.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Zom wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:49 pm
So why did that bright student flunk the exam? Some unknown mysterious force?

This little booklet "Who is Pulling the Strings ?" by Ajahn Amaro (with sutta references) is worth reading and is available on Amaravati Monastery website:

https://cdn.amaravati.org/wp-content/up ... -Amaro.pdf

:anjali:

Zom

Post by Zom »

So let me guess, the kamma that enable you to join and discuss on DW is simply because you have a hand and some fingers.
Why do you think kamma must play some role here? I join DW just because I want to do it now. And ye, my eyes and fingers, as well as my laptop, helps to do that 8-)
This little booklet
100 pages - litte? -)
Grigoris

Post by Grigoris »

Zom wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:51 amWhy do you think kamma must play some role here? I join DW just because I want to do it now. And ye, my eyes and fingers, as well as my laptop, helps to do that 8-)
So why do you have fingers and eyes and the economic ability to own a laptop?

Why are you not born a fingerless and eyeless worm with no possessions at all?

And why did you join DW and not ____?

Wanting to do something (mental action) and doing it (physical action) is kamma.

"Intention, I tell you, is kamma. Intending, one does kamma by way of body, speech, & intellect."
Nibbedhika Sutta
https://web.archive.org/web/20140813042 ... .than.html

Kamma is not a "mysterious force". Kamma is intentional action.
ye dhammā hetuppabhavā tesaṁ hetuṁ tathāgato āha,
tesaṃca yo nirodho - evaṁvādī mahāsamaṇo.

Of those phenomena which arise from causes:
Those causes have been taught by the Tathāgata,
And their cessation too - thus proclaims the Great Ascetic.
Zom

Post by Zom »

Wanting to do something (mental action) and doing it (physical action) is kamma.
We are talking about vipaka (fruit) of kamma, not about the seed aka intention. By the way, the topic is interesting if EVERY intention is kamma. Buddha actually didn't say so - he classified kamma with particular intentions, not all intentions. However, that doesn't mean there is no kamma in some of intentions. Probably, this is neutral type of kamma which brings neutral results. Or, maybe not. Suttas don't clarify this.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Consider a series of sheer coincidences

Your human birth, during the time of a Buddha, who was a teacher

It never ever happens, yet…… here we are
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
alfa

Post by alfa »

I'll rephrase this.

Let's say I lose my job. Let's call this karma vipaka (the results of my previous karma). Let's say I suffer mental strain as a result of losing my job.

My question here is: losing job (outward) is karma vipaka. But losing peace of mind as a result (inward) - is this also karma vipaka?

If vipaka is only outward, then it means we have control over how we feel.
If vipaka is both outward and inward, then we have no control over mind states.

So which is it? :anjali: