Let's discuss super normal powers.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Let's discuss super normal powers.

Post by SarathW »

I like to discuss the supernormal powers in light of mundane activity and supermundane activity.
We are very often witnessing how supernormal powers are developed in a mundane level.
Even non-Buddhist understand it. Please share your experience or knowledge here.
Most importantly I like to discuss this in light of supermundane level.

Some modern application or usage of supernormal powers.

Will (chanda, S. chanda) - Modern usage of the saying "if there is a will, there is a way"
Energy (viriya, S. vīrya) - Modern usage and saying "Effort can move mountains"
Consciousness (citta, S. citta) - Modern usage and application "They all in your mind"
Examination (vīmaṁsa or vīmaŋsā, S. mimāṃsā) - Modern science and technology is the result of the examination of physical phenomena.

How supernormal powers become an enlightenment factor?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhipakk ... hamm%C4%81
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DooDoot

Re: Let's discuss super normal powers.

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:52 pmI like to discuss the supernormal powers in light of mundane activity and supermundane activity.
The impression is the above believes "supernormal" (atikkantamānusakena) & "supramundane" ("lokuttara") have the same meaning. For example, the Eye of God or Divine Eye (dibbena cakkhu) is "supernormal" but it doesn't sound "supramundane".
deep, profound, transcendent, dealing with emptiness

gambhīrā gambhīratthā lokuttarā suññatappaṭisaṃyuttā

https://suttacentral.net/sn20.7/en/sujato
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Agree.
Thank you, DD.
How can we distinguish supernormal powers from normal powers?
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

SarathW wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:28 pm
How can we distinguish supernormal powers from normal powers?
Could you describe what you mean by "normal powers" please ?

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Could you describe what you mean by "normal powers" please ?
Aren't we all have some sort of power?
form

Post by form »

Better to discuss how to develop supernormal power. :mrgreen:
Zom

Post by Zom »

How supernormal powers become an enlightenment factor?
Isn't real time seeing of passing away and reappearance in a new life an enlighenment factor? I guess it is -)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Devadatta had developed supernormal powers however it did not help him with his enlightenment.
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

There is much more bhikkhus who can read minds that I expected it.
But it's said that the mind reading is based on "perception", so all depends on perception that bhikkhu (or other serious practitioner) have of the mind.

Iam not sure that someone who live a lay life and indulge in coarse sensuality can develop iddhi. It request very refined perception. Imho

_/\_
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
form

Post by form »

Nwad wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:25 pm There is much more bhikkhus who can read minds that I expected it.
But it's said that the mind reading is based on "perception", so all depends on perception that bhikkhu (or other serious practitioner) have of the mind.

Iam not sure that someone who live a lay life and indulge in coarse sensuality can develop iddhi. It request very refined perception. Imho

_/\_
Who r they?
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

Meditation bhikkhus, masters, Ajahns... Actually I realised that only Bhikkhu who can read the mind of his student can realy help him. Because overcoming dukkha is not about giving some medecines with hope that it will help a patient, but its more about cherurgical intervention and if a doctor have no scalpel it will be difficult tu make the operation.
It's only my opinion and perception. But you don't hear a lot about real masters, they often work underground, and you have to find them, and recognise them. It's perhaps also question of good kamma to meet them. There is also known Ajahns who can teach directly, but because of their notoriety is difficult to be their student.
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
ehensens

Post by ehensens »

If someone claimed to have supernatural powers, would you believe them? If you read about them, if you saw a video, if there were eyewitnesses who swore something supernatural happened, wouldn't most people still think there was something nefarious going on and not believe it?

Secondly, it seems to me that for someone to have reached a stage in their practice that they had attained any supernatural powers, wouldn't these people be more likely to have also developed the wisdom not show these powers off?

It seems entirely possible to me that there could be countless people alive today with all sorts of powers that most people would deem "supernatural", and that we would never even know it.