Culadasa : An annoucement from Dharma Board

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
pyluyten

Culadasa : An annoucement from Dharma Board

Post by pyluyten »

The beginning of annoucement
It was recently brought to the attention of Dharma Treasure Board members that John Yates (Upasaka Culadasa) has engaged in ongoing conduct unbecoming of a Spiritual Director and Dharma teacher. He has not followed the upasaka (layperson) precepts of sexual harmlessness, right speech, and taking what is not freely given.

We thoroughly reviewed a substantial body of evidence, contemplated its significance, and sought confidential counsel from senior Western Dharma teachers, who urged transparency. We also sought legal advice and spoke with various non-profit consultants to draw on their expertise and objectivity in handling this matter. As a result of our process, the Board has voted to remove Mr. Yates from all positions with Dharma Treasure

https://mailchi.mp/dharmatreasure/new-t ... 693097afaa
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Culadasa : An annoucement from Dharma Board

Post by Sam Vara »

From the link:
"adultery with multiple women, some of whom are sex workers, took place over the past four years. The outcome was extended relationships with a group of about ten women. "
That explains the "dasa" bit of his name, then.
pyluyten

Post by pyluyten »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:20 am That explains the "dasa" bit of his name, then.
"Cula" "Protuberance", too ?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

pyluyten wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:34 am
Sam Vara wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:20 am That explains the "dasa" bit of his name, then.
"Cula" "Protuberance", too ?
So it seems! I just thought "small".
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Sad news, he sounded like he was a well-knowledgeable teacher. Cravings for sense desires is perhaps the most difficult fetter for most to overcome.

http://culadasa.com/about/
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Culadasa's own words in response to this letter:
Culadasa wrote: Please do not take this letter as fact. It includes false information, and distortions and misrepresentations of fact. I, in fact, resigned from the Dharma Treasure Board due to irreconcilable differences including their refusal to engage in mediation. Rather than accept my resignation as tendered, they chose to vote me off the Board and remove me as Spiritual Director of Dharma Treasure. A fuller and more complete explanation will be forthcoming. In the mean time, I strongly recommend everyone hold off on jumping to conclusions or engaging in analysis or commentary. We are taking our time (myself and my advisors) so as to respond in the healthiest and most appropriate way with the best interest of all parties in mind. Thank you, Culadasa
pyluyten

Post by pyluyten »

DNS wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:40 pm Sad news, he sounded like he was a well-knowledgeable teacher. Cravings for sense desires is perhaps the most difficult fetter for most to overcome.

i only read excerpt from his The Mind Illuminated but it had a lot of sense.

And i'm afraid there is a real difficulty in meditation. Even if it is not that easy to enjoy meditating, it is way harder to obtain calm and joy in rela life, then even if is is not that hard to obtain calm and joy in real life, it is way harder to eliminate craving.
Volo

Post by Volo »

Does anyone know what is his age?
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Volo wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:50 pm Does anyone know what is his age?
He's probably around 70 years old.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

DNS wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:40 pm Sad news, he sounded like he was a well-knowledgeable teacher. Cravings for sense desires is perhaps the most difficult fetter for most to overcome.

true. I am sure he is not an ordained monk. there should be a rule which prohibits layman to teach Dhamma. Even monks are corrupt so its not way layman should hold the higher post (director etc) and lead a new community.

I myself will never teach unless I am sure I reached final goal. without me reaching final goal, teaching others means I may misrepresent or I am spending energy for not advancing myself. If we ourself donesnt know the final goal, we should be students and not teachers. there is no surprise that monks are itself caught in scandals like in tibet etc ....
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Volo

Post by Volo »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:37 pm He's probably around 70 years old.
Thanks!
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Sounds like he is from the Tibetan lineage. I did read part of his book, which is more vipassana-oriented, but found it sort of dry/academic so I didn't finish it.
Disciple

Post by Disciple »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:20 am From the link:
"adultery with multiple women, some of whom are sex workers, took place over the past four years. The outcome was extended relationships with a group of about ten women. "
That explains the "dasa" bit of his name, then.
:rofl:
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

confusedlayman wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:09 pm . there should be a rule which prohibits layman to teach Dhamma.
You would kill the dhamma if you made that rule. As far as i remember, Buddha said someone with good intentions was ok to teach, even if they didn't have any attainments. I'll find the sutta if nobody finds it in a few days.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

(The Gavesī Sutta also mentions a lay teacher with many followers in Kassapa Buddha's time, even though he and his followers eventually ordain.)