Manchester UK like-minded associate quest!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Metta12345

Manchester UK like-minded associate quest!

Post by Metta12345 »

Hey everybody,
I'll try to be succinct, as this is an introduction with a purpose!
My name is Oli.
I'm living in Manchester in the UK.
I've been (trying) to practice buddhist teachings for a long-time, generally guided by the Thai Forest Tradition.
I'm about to move out of my family home for the first time (I'm quite old to be doing that...) and it's a great (potential) opportunity for to move in with people / a community that would be supportive of the development of the Buddhist 'Path'. I'd ideally like to stay living in or around Manchester.
Can anybody there point me in the right direction of where to look?! I know that there is a Triratna group locally, but I just want to try and get a good sense of what's out there in the local (ish) area. All feedback welcome! Another option would be to try and find other individuals with some commitment to practice, like myself, looking to share some kind of living space. Again, any leads / ideas of where to post would be helpful.
Peace and best wishes,
Oli.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Manchester UK like-minded associate quest!

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

Sorry, I don't know anything about the Manchester area. I visited London as a tourist many years ago; that was my only visit to the UK.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Welcome to DW!

Have you tried googling with a couple of key terms? There are quite a few places in Manchester that might suit you. In particular there is a centre run by the Samatha Trust in Chorlton (appropriately, it is in High Lane!) and they are very active in the Greater Manchester area.

I used to live there many years ago. Hulme and then in Lower Broughton Rd Salford.
Keith

Post by Keith »

Sam Vara wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:39 amI used to live there many years ago. Hulme and then in Lower Broughton Rd Salford.
Wow did our paths cross! I lived in Manchester for 11 years. Lived in Trinity Riverside for a year of that.
Metta12345

Post by Metta12345 »

Thanks for the welcomes and replies!
I am aware of the places in Manchester, including the Samatha Trust's (recently extended)place, which is lovely. I have actually sent them an email too, and i'm awaiting a response.
I'm more looking for a potential place to live (or people to live with), as opposed to a centre at which to practise.
Thanks again!
Oli.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Metta12345 wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:57 pm I am aware of the places in Manchester, including the Samatha Trust's (recently extended)place, which is lovely. I have actually sent them an email too, and i'm awaiting a response.
I'm more looking for a potential place to live (or people to live with), as opposed to a centre at which to practise.
If you are looking for like-minded people to rent with, some of the centres will probably have notice boards where you could put up an ad for this purpose.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Metta12345

Post by Metta12345 »

Yes great idea, thank you!
Best wishes,
Oli
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Metta12345 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:31 pm Hey everybody,
I'll try to be succinct, as this is an introduction with a purpose!
My name is Oli.
I'm living in Manchester in the UK.
I've been (trying) to practice buddhist teachings for a long-time, generally guided by the Thai Forest Tradition.
I'm about to move out of my family home for the first time (I'm quite old to be doing that...) and it's a great (potential) opportunity for to move in with people / a community that would be supportive of the development of the Buddhist 'Path'. I'd ideally like to stay living in or around Manchester.
Can anybody there point me in the right direction of where to look?! I know that there is a Triratna group locally, but I just want to try and get a good sense of what's out there in the local (ish) area. All feedback welcome! Another option would be to try and find other individuals with some commitment to practice, like myself, looking to share some kind of living space. Again, any leads / ideas of where to post would be helpful.
Peace and best wishes,
Oli.
Hi, I just visited Manchester 2 months back but there should be at least one group you should find it. In Glasgow where I live, they do meditation even in library hall
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Hi!

I live in Manchester, UK. I have visited a few temples and centres already. Just search for "Buddhist temples" or "Buddhist centres" on Google Maps and you'll find all of them.

In the past, I have been associated with a Sri Lankan temple in Wythenshawe called Ketumati Buddhist Vihara. Just search for the name on Google Maps and you'll find it. It's a very modern temple with about 3 Sri Lankan monks who speak very good English.

Another temple that I used to go regularly is a Thai temple near Bolton called Wat Sriratanaram (search on Google Maps as well). I quite like the monks there -- they have great virtue. You can catch Buses 2 and 8 to get there.

I also used to be heavily involved with the Samatha Trust centre, but you already know it.

Another temple I can recommend is the Saraniya Dhamma Meditation Centre which is in the lineage of Mahasi Sayadaw. It's in Salford. Some monks, however, didn't know good English so I had to speak to them via an interpreter so I haven't visited them too often. They seem like great monks to me, though.

These are the Theravada temples and centres. There's also a Fo Guang Shan temple in Trafford, which I think is a modernist movement inspired by Ch'an and Pure Land (I'm not entirely sure). There's a Kagyu temple in the south of Manchester called Kagyu Ling. I've been there once. I saw there's a Zen dojo on Google Maps but I haven't been there yet. There might be a few more centres and temples but not too many more. You know the Triratna centre and I've been there not just a few times as well.

I recommend the Theravada centres not because they are Theravada (I am an eclectic Buddhist) but simply because I think they are the best.

Good luck!

P.S.: You should definitely visit a Gelug centre in Leeds called Jamyang Buddhist Centre -- great energies there when I visited it but I did yoga there. In the future I'll visit it again for their Dharma talks. Seems a great centre to me. Wat Matchimaram is a Thai temple in Leeds and the visiting monk from there seemed like a great monk to me when I met him so I'll definitely go there to see him and the temple in the future when I get the chance.
Metta12345

Post by Metta12345 »

Stephen thanks, this is really helpful !
I'll look into the centres / temples you've mentioned. I have heard of some of them but not actually visited. It's good to get feedback on the sense that you get from the monks, particularly around virtue.
Thanks again,
Oli.
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Hi Oli, glad to hear that.

Have we perhaps met at Wat Sriratanaram? Or is that a different Oli or Olly?
Metta12345

Post by Metta12345 »

That must be a different Oli, as I've not been to Wat Sriratanaram... But maybe I'll see you there at some point in the future!
Oli