A collection of Early Buddhist material not found in the Pali Nikayas and Chinese Agamas

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
Javi

A collection of Early Buddhist material not found in the Pali Nikayas and Chinese Agamas

Post by Javi »

Hi everyone, its been awhile since I've posted on this site. :anjali:

I'm cross-posting a resource I shared on suttacentral.

Over the past year I have been collecting EBT materials that are not from the Pali Nikayas and Chinese Agamas. This collection of mine grew to include Gandharan, Tibetan and Sanskrit sutras, excerpts from texts like the Mahavastu, the Salistamba sutra, the Pudgalavada text called the “Treatise on the three Dharmas”, the Tattvasiddhi Sastra of Harivarman, the Sravakabhumi and numerous Mahayana texts including the Da zhi du lun, the Large Prajñaparamita sutra and others.

I have collected enough material that I decided to put it in one document and give it some kind of structure. Most of the material in this collection is not found in suttacentral, though a small part of it is. It is a large collection, and numbers over 500 pages now.

I have mainly used my own judgement regarding what it included as an ‘Early Buddhist Teaching’ (but see the introduction for more on this).

Anyways, here is the document:

https://www.academia.edu/41374179/Early ... _Teachings
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14
SarathW

Re: A collection of Early Buddhist material not found in the Pali Nikayas and Chinese Agamas

Post by SarathW »

Hi Javi.
Thanks.
Are these teaching deffer in any significant way to Tipitaka?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ceisiwr

Re: A collection of Early Buddhist material not found in the Pali Nikayas and Chinese Agamas

Post by Ceisiwr »

Thanks for this. Much appreciated. Out of interest, is there any way to date the individual suttas? For example, do we know which is the oldest sutta or text from the Gandharan texts?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Isn't 42 section found in agama ?
You always gain by giving
Javi

Post by Javi »

SarathW wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:21 pm Hi Javi.
Thanks.
Are these teaching deffer in any significant way to Tipitaka?
Some do differ but the basic teaching is the same. Others are direct parallels to Pali suttas.

So it depends
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14
Javi

Post by Javi »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:29 am Thanks for this. Much appreciated. Out of interest, is there any way to date the individual suttas? For example, do we know which is the oldest sutta or text from the Gandharan texts?
There is no exact way to date them other than radiocarbon dating for the manuscripts themselves. But this does not indicate the exact age of the actual texts
Last edited by Javi on Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Javi

Post by Javi »

sentinel wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:29 am Isn't 42 section found in agama ?
It's part of the Chinese Canon, but it's not part of the Agama collections afaik

frank k

Post by frank k »

Hi Javi,

I finally got around to downloading it.
Was reluctant to before because trying to download from academia website with google account, it says it shares all my contacts in the address book with them.

Thanks for sharing your notes, it looks cool.

Two questions:
1. the picture at the beginning: who's the monk sitting on the table? Is that the Buddha? I've never seen an art work where the Buddha is depicted as looking like a real human monk following vinaya (without luxurious head of hair tied into brahman head knot, or having a grotesque pineaple shaped tumor protruding out the top of his head).

2. Do you have your notes in other formats? Html? Or epub and mobi? I'd love to read it on an eink reader offline in reflowable format. PDF's are tough to read on a kindle.
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

:offtopic:
frank k wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:49 pm ...Was reluctant to before because trying to download from academia website with google account, it says it shares all my contacts in the address book with them. ...
I also have had concerns about Academia.edu, which is actually a for-profit company monetising research.
This article - https://www.forbes.com/sites/drsarahbon ... eb39a22d62 - explains some of the problems with that and suggests alternatives. It is two years old so things may have changed but I don't think so.
As a user, not an author, I have been getting "recommendations" from them on a daily basis since looking at (not even downloading) an article from them a couple of months ago.

:namaste:
Kim

:focus:
(Unless it's worth opening this as a separate topic.)
bazzaman

Post by bazzaman »

frank k wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:49 pm Hi Javi,

I finally got around to downloading it.
Was reluctant to before because trying to download from academia website with google account, it says it shares all my contacts in the address book with them.

Thanks for sharing your notes, it looks cool.
It might have changed, but I registered with academia a few years ago using only an email address which is not tied to my identity. So no personal information at risk. I do find it a bit strange that you are concerned about privacy and are using Google.
Atāṇo loko anabhissaro...

Yena yena hi maññanti tato taṃ hoti aññathā,
frank k

Post by frank k »

bazzaman wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:21 am I do find it a bit strange that you are concerned about privacy and are using Google.
google has enormously convenient tools. What do you recommend as far as minimizing digital privacy exploitation?
I have a facebook account that's barely used, and with a pseudonym just for Dhamma usage. I keep several google accounts, my cel phone is almost always off.
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
bazzaman

Post by bazzaman »

I must admit that I am not aware of the various convenient tools that Google provides. I'm a bit of a recluse in this digital world.
"they" say that it all depends on your threat-level. Since there is no such thing anymore as complete privacy or security; it's a matter of trade-offs. Here's a site that takes it to the max: https://inteltechniques.com/podcast.html They go to extremes, but there is a lot of good information that might be appropriate to your needs.
Google has good security, but not so good privacy. i.e. they stop bad guys from scraping your data... but they do it themselves, and sell it. The only Google service I used to use was their search engine... back when they weren't evil. There are lots of alternatives these days. Startpage.com even uses Google's searches but anonymizes them. I like Qwant.
I use Linux with a vpn and only with a wired connection. No wifi. I just bought my first cell phone a few months ago to see how it might be useful. There are a few apps that looked interesting. But so far it mostly remains turned off. I have a dumb phone for calls and text messages, and all internet is done on my laptop.
There are also some good private email services such as Protonmail and Tutanota. They have free email as well as paid for service. I think the paid services might provide some of the features that gmail users are dependent on.
reddit has a privacy thread: reddit.com/r/privacy which also might be of interest.
Atāṇo loko anabhissaro...

Yena yena hi maññanti tato taṃ hoti aññathā,
frank k

Post by frank k »

bazzaman wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:44 am ...
Thanks! I'll check it out.