Maitreya

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
befriend

Maitreya

Post by befriend »

Maitreya will be the next buddha apparently he is in a heaven right now I am very curious if anyone knows how he used loving kindness as a vehicle for spiritual progression as his name comes from there word friend. Does anyone have any information on his practice? Thanks!
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Wizard in the Forest

Re: Maitreya

Post by Wizard in the Forest »

"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir
beanyan

Post by beanyan »

Is Maitreya given much importance in classical Theravada? He is mentioned in only one sutta in Digha, right? So does he have lots of mentions in the Abhidhamma, Commentaries and so on? Or are they pretty thin on him too?
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

He is known to appear in visions and dreams to those who have faith and recite his name continuously. You might even get a trip to the inner court of Tushita heaven where he currently resides...
Wizard in the Forest

If you read the Sutta I linked it goes to the form of nothingness which is a formless Jhānā which if you did not know, Jhāna goes up beyond four, and the Buddha says the Apex is the formless Jhānā of nothingness.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

The Buddha of the Pali Canon didn't give advice on how to become a Buddha at least as far as I know. He did describe how the Buddha came to be, but it wasn't a path he taught. Therefore, I am not sure focusing on how a future Buddha WILL come to be and what practices he followed or WILL follow is of much benefit to us. The 8 fold path is for the ending of suffering here and now. :soap:
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

tamdrin wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:35 am He is known to appear in visions and dreams to those who have faith and recite his name continuously. You might even get a trip to the inner court of Tushita heaven where he currently resides...
he helped me when i asked for help before sleep. during sleep i suddenly got awareness and he communucated by direct experience. see my old post beofre few months of incident in detail. maybe its our own mind making?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
befriend

Post by befriend »

dharmacorps wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:11 pm The Buddha of the Pali Canon didn't give advice on how to become a Buddha at least as far as I know. He did describe how the Buddha came to be, but it wasn't a path he taught. Therefore, I am not sure focusing on how a future Buddha WILL come to be and what practices he followed or WILL follow is of much benefit to us. The 8 fold path is for the ending of suffering here and now. :soap:
I was wondering HOW he used loving kindness as a vehicle for spiritual progression not how I can become a buddha. My question was answered in the first response.
befriend

Post by befriend »

Wizard in the forest is there a term for this type of meditation i.e. Doing metta then doing vipassana? Or guided talks on this I will look now.
Wizard in the Forest

Accept this priceless gem from Venerable Mahasi Sayadaw

It is worth taking the time to read and taking to heart. Few are more skilled than he in the Practice of understanding the Brahma Viharas in this sense.
And should you have the opportunity please read Compassion and Emptiness by Venerable Analāyo.
allium

Post by allium »

Wizard in the Forest wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:20 am And should you have the opportunity please read Compassion and Emptiness by Venerable Analāyo.
befriend wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:56 pm Or guided talks on this I will look now.
There are new guided meditations by Venerable Analāyo: Brahmavihāra and Emptiness
befriend

Post by befriend »

Thank you 🙏
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:27 pm
tamdrin wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:35 am He is known to appear in visions and dreams to those who have faith and recite his name continuously. You might even get a trip to the inner court of Tushita heaven where he currently resides...
he helped me when i asked for help before sleep. during sleep i suddenly got awareness and he communucated by direct experience. see my old post beofre few months of incident in detail. maybe its our own mind making?

It's very possible that he responded to your call.