Fund raising for buddhist Monk without lodgings.

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
anthbrown84

Fund raising for buddhist Monk without lodgings.

Post by anthbrown84 »

Hello all,

Candana Bikkhu is based in California and has had to leave the centre he was staying at (i wont mention its name as it was troublesome for him) after he found out that lay guests were drinking alcohol on the premises (he found a bottle of vodka in the bin). Amongst other troubling conditions with the lay guests he has decided to leave.
Unfortunately after making this decision, all the other local monasteries dont have a bed for him right now. He has had to take up an air bnb for the short term and will likely have to resort to the streets or the forests in California should things bit change.

I have decided to start a GoFundMe me page so I can raise money for some temporary lodgings until something opens up for him.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/buddhist-mon ... are-flow-1

If you would like to know more about him, you can check out his youtube page where he has recited most (i think, I havent counted haha) of The Pali Canon Suttas. He is such a beautiful human being and unfortunately since becoming a monk he has faced some pretty extreme scenarios.

Can you maybe please help raise some money for him with some wonderful selfless Dana? Or if not and funds are tight right now, maybe help by sharing this link over social media? Or with your friends and family?

Candana hasnt asked me for this, I'm sure his integrity to his path and his vows is that pure he would rather live in the wild than ask for money directly.

May you all be well and flourish in this wonderful opportunity :)

With a big smile

Anthony
Attachments
Screenshot_20200602-084804_WhatsApp.jpg
Screenshot_20200602-084804_WhatsApp.jpg (537.61 KiB) Viewed 13048 times
Last edited by anthbrown84 on Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Your job in practise is to know the difference between the heart and the activity of the heart, that is it, it is that simple" Ajahn Tate
confusedlayman

Re: Fund raising for buddhist Monk without lodgings.

Post by confusedlayman »

anthbrown84 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:40 am Hello all,

Candana Bikkhu is based in California and has had to leave the centre he was staying at (i wont mention its name as it was troublesome for him) after he found out that lay guests were drinking alcohol on the premises (he found a bottle of vodka in the bin). Amongst other troubling conditions with the lay guests he has decided to leave.
Unfortunately after making this decision, all the other local monasteries dont have a bed for him right now. He has had to take up an air bnb for the short term and will likely have to resort to the streets or the forests in California should things bit change.

I have decided to start a GoFundMe me page so I can raise money for some temporary lodgings until something opens up for him.

If you would like to know more about him, you can check out his youtube page where he has recited most (i think, I havent counted haha) of The Pali Canon Suttas. He is such a beautiful human being and unfortunately since becoming a monk he has faced some pretty extreme scenarios.

Can you maybe please help raise some money for him with some wonderful selfless Dana? Or if not and funds are tight right now, maybe help by sharing this link over social media? Or with your friends and family?

Candana hasnt asked me for this, I'm sure his integrity to his path and his vows is that pure he would rather live in the wild than ask for money directly.

May you all be well and flourish in this wonderful opportunity :)

With a big smile

Anthony
I can share ... as I am broke now but want to donate later on when i receive money... have u created the page?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
anthbrown84

Post by anthbrown84 »

I have indeed :)

And of course, just whatever is within your means. I'm sure most of us are in hard times right now, so this is only meant for people who can and also want to :)

I wish you well:)

Anthony
"Your job in practise is to know the difference between the heart and the activity of the heart, that is it, it is that simple" Ajahn Tate
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

anthbrown84 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:20 am I have indeed :)

And of course, just whatever is within your means. I'm sure most of us are in hard times right now, so this is only meant for people who can and also want to :)

Anthony
Where is the link? Can i receive the link? so i share now...
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
anthbrown84

Post by anthbrown84 »

confusedlayman wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:31 am
anthbrown84 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:20 am I have indeed :)

Anthony
Where is the link? Can i receive the link? so i share now...
Sorry, I forgot to post it... I have done that now :)

Thanks for mentioning that!

Anthony
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I hope he manages to escape California Buddhism in order to find dwellings more conducive to ideal solitude.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
anthbrown84

Post by anthbrown84 »

retrofuturist wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:19 am Greetings,

I hope he manages to escape California Buddhism in order to find dwellings more conducive to ideal solitude.

Metta,
Yes me to.

Unfortunately he was in a rather remote centre and was told he could stay there for however long he wanted. Unfortunately for him the lay guests were not accommodating and drank alcohol on the premises. He even had to phone the police one time :(

He has stuck by his Morales and integrity and left... hopefully this can raise a bit of money so he can stay covered at night until more suitable dwellings are found.

:)
Anthony
anthbrown84

Post by anthbrown84 »

May I ask,

Does anyone have any ideas of how to raise money this way?

It is appearing to be very difficult to generate interest even in devoted buddhist circles you see. I'm really not sure what else to do and I just dont want to see someone who has went forth having not having a roof over his head.

It's got me puzzled :shrug:

Any help is really appreciated :anjali:

Anthony
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Anthony,

I recommend focusing on a definitive plan, rather than a stop-gap solution.

For example, if there's a monastery who will accept him, try to raise the money for the bus/plane fare. Surely the monk, out of concern for his welfare, is doing everything he can to find a suitable location. He should be leading that effort.

Lodgings, temporary or otherwise, outside of the ways of the Vinaya, just sounds like a pitch for "free stuff".

I hope that helps.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

retrofuturist wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:45 pm Greetings Anthony,

I recommend focusing on a definitive plan, rather than a stop-gap solution.

For example, if there's a monastery who will accept him, try to raise the money for the bus/plane fare. Surely the monk, out of concern for his welfare, is doing everything he can to find a suitable location. He should be leading that effort.

Lodgings, temporary or otherwise, outside of the ways of the Vinaya, just sounds like a pitch for "free stuff".

I hope that helps.

Metta,
Good, advice.
This is a good reminder for anyone who wants to be a monk. If you want to be a monk make sure that you have the right teacher and the temple.

I can recall Bhikkhu Bodhi is telling a story, the main supporter of the temple getting drunk after the Dana ceremony. This is happening in Sri Lanka too. Dana/ Prith ceremony escalates to a party. In this case, what matters is other monks residing with seems to be good. I think they are the Kalyanamitta, not the lay followers. Even there is a Buddhist story that Visaka went to see Buddha with his drunken friends. If he has to leave the temple for such problems he will never find a perfect place. Please read Broken Buddha.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

If there isn't support for a monk in an area, then that is not a suitable place for a monk to live.
The monk must move to a place where he is supported by laypeople.
Global online fundraising isn't a good substitute for a local community.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Anthony,

Do you live nearby? Is it possible to find someone nearby, or not so nearby willing to accommodate him? It's great that you are trying to help him, but, as James says, it comes down to practicalities.

:heart:
Mike
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

It is particularly unusual that the monk cannot find another monastery to take him even on a temporary basis regardless of school ( a mahayana monastery, etc). As far as I know it is not uncommon in California for there to be collaboration with other schools in situation like this. California is a massive state with many monasteries. I am wondering if this is not a monastic politics issue or if there is more to the story-- not that I want to hear about it but out of concern for a venerable monk it is best he find a long term solution rather than a air bnb.
BKh

Post by BKh »

It is particularly unusual that the monk cannot find another monastery to take him even on a temporary basis regardless of school.
I have to completely disagree with this.

Of course I don't know anything about this particular monk's situation, but it is very common for monasteries to be wary of taking in strangers, especially in the west. Especially in California. And especially wary of western monks. People seem to have a very idealized concept of monastic life, especially in the west. Of course there are monasteries that may take someone they don't know. But they are the unusual situation.

To everyone saying that temporary housing is not a solution and something long term should be found... Really? A monastic life is not something you can just put into a box under the bed till spring time. Even though I know nothing about this situation, I know enough about life to know that things are usually complicated. Of course people should only give where their heart is confident, but the lack of appreciation for the realities of monastic life on the ground is surprising. But I guess it shouldn't be.

If the mods feel there is something fishy or inappropriate about the OP's request, then by all means they should take it down. But folks should keep in mind the dangers of discouraging someone from practicing generosity without a good reason.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bhante,
BKh wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:54 am If the mods feel there is something fishy or inappropriate about the OP's request, then by all means they should take it down.
I'm comfortable with the OP's posting, as he's a long-standing member of the forum and I see no reason to doubt him.
BKh wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:54 am But folks should keep in mind the dangers of discouraging someone from practicing generosity without a good reason.
I don't believe anyone is actually doing that. Just as the Buddha spoke of suitable localities for a monk, it appears that the monk's current locality is too degenerate to provide suitable support for a properly practicing bhikkhu. If he needs a bus fare to somewhere less degenerate, I would be happy to chip in a few bucks (assuming that the site taking the transaction did not apply ludicrous fees for exchange rates etc., as some do) but would not do so, simply to keep him housed in the same degenerate locality.

Metta,