On Your Way Home - A Road to Nirvana for the West

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
PeterC86

Re: Foundations of Human Life - A road to Nirvana for the West

Post by PeterC86 »

whynotme wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:40 pm
The above doesn't sound like Nirvana in Buddhism and the final stage of the experiential doctrine of Buddhism. Its sounds like Hinduism.
If this is from someone claimed nibbana, then he is wrong.
That is because that part of the teaching (chapter 6 in the book) does not refer to Nibbana, but is just a stepping stone towards letting go of consciousness. I think I also mentioned that to Doodoot, but I am not even going to look that up, because before you make some assumptions on what I teach, maybe you want to read the book first instead of parroting some response to a part of it.

With compassion and loving kindness,
Peter
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

PeterC86 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:56 pm
The above doesn't sound like Nirvana in Buddhism and the final stage of the experiential doctrine of Buddhism. Its sounds like Hinduism.
That is because that part of the teaching (chapter 6 in the book) does not refer to Nibbana, but is just a stepping stone towards letting go of consciousness. I think I also mentioned that to Doodoot, but I am not even going to look that up, because before you make some assumptions on what I teach, maybe you want to read the book first instead of parroting some response to a part of it.

Peter
If u let go of conciousness, then how can u take intentional action?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

confusedlayman wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:09 pm

Peter
You can't :) that is why I explain that any prescription can never lead to Nibbana, and there can be no right or wrong behaviour, while Nibbana is unconditioned.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

PeterC86 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:12 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:09 pm

Peter
You can't :) that is why I explain that any prescription can never lead to Nibbana, and there can be no right or wrong behaviour, while Nibbana is unconditioned.
if any prescription can never lead to nibbana? then y 8NP? are past arhants didnt reach acc to u?
PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

confusedlayman wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:18 pm if any prescription can never lead to nibbana? then y 8NP? are past arhants didnt reach acc to u?
Can you please post in full sentences using complete words? This comes over as if you are to lazy to make full sentences, which puts effort on the one trying to understand you. In this case, I can't even figure out what you mean. Thank you.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

PeterC86 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:21 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:18 pm if any prescription can never lead to nibbana? then y 8NP? are past arhants didnt reach acc to u?
Can you please post in full sentences using complete words? This comes over as if you are to lazy to make full sentences, which puts effort on the one trying to understand you. In this case, I can't even figure out what you mean. Thank you.
then why buddha prescribed 8 noble path as way to nibbana?
PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

confusedlayman wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:23 pm
PeterC86 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:21 pm
then why buddha prescribed 8 noble path as way to nibbana?
To let go.
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

PeterC86 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:12 pm You can't :) that is why I explain that any prescription can never lead to Nibbana, and there can be no right or wrong behaviour, while Nibbana is unconditioned.
Dear Peter, your posts here are starting to feel like trolling. Members here have not yet attained nibbana and are looking for reliable advice that will help them towards nibbana. On this forum the advice sought is specifically according to Theravada. The one thing this requires, above all, is doing right behaviour and abstaining from wrong. Even if that seems irrelevant to you, it is essential to those who have not reached nibbana yet.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... ssage.html

We are not looking for your view from alleged nibbana, because it is not helpful. Your stated aim is to help but you're not helping, you're obfuscating and giving advice that is not in accordance with the dhamma. This is bad kamma. Metta :heart: :anjali:
PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

Dhamma Chameleon wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:29 pm
PeterC86 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:12 pm You can't :) that is why I explain that any prescription can never lead to Nibbana, and there can be no right or wrong behaviour, while Nibbana is unconditioned.
Dear Peter, your posts here are starting to feel like trolling. Members here have not yet attained nibbana and are looking for reliable advice that will help them towards nibbana. On this forum the advice sought is specifically according to Theravada. The one thing this requires, above all, is doing right behaviour and abstaining from wrong. Even if that seems irrelevant to you, it is essential to those who have not reached nibbana yet.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... ssage.html

We are not looking for your view from alleged nibbana, because it is not helpful. Your stated aim is to help but you're not helping, you're obfuscating and giving advice that is not in accordance with the dhamma. This is bad kamma. Metta :heart: :anjali:
"Monks, these two slander the Tathagata. Which two? He who explains a discourse whose meaning needs to be inferred as one whose meaning has already been fully drawn out. And he who explains a discourse whose meaning has already been fully drawn out as one whose meaning needs to be inferred..."

AN 2.25
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

If the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

"Monks, I will teach you the Dhamma compared to a raft, for the purpose of crossing over, not for the purpose of holding onto."

MN 22
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

Besides, we are in the connections to other paths subforum of a Theravada forum, and what have I not been doing here but try to show connections to Theravada?

With this post I will also take a break from being active on this forum, so things can cool down here. Also I don't really see how more obvious I can make things, and I am not motivated anymore to constantly explain myself to people who are not ready, i.e. too skeptical, too lazy, afraid, or too proud to really investigate what I have already offered here. I now also understand that my presence here can be a bit overwhelming and may lead to adverse effects than anticipated. Everything is here, it is up to you guys what you do with it. I will see how things evolve and might come back.

I wish everyone swift progress!

With compassion and loving-kindness,
Peter

SteRo

Post by SteRo »

PeterC86 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:37 pm With this post I will also take a break from being active on this forum, so things can cool down here. Also I don't really see how more obvious I can make things, and I am not motivated anymore to constantly explain myself to people who are not ready, i.e. too skeptical, too lazy, afraid, or too proud to really investigate what I have already offered here. I now also understand that my presence here can be a bit overwhelming and may lead to adverse effects than anticipated. Everything is here, it is up to you guys what you do with it. I will see how things evolve and might come back.
I recommend you do a longer retreat and investigate what it is on your side that undermines your own self-chosen mission.
Exhaling अ and inhaling धीः amounts to བྷྲཱུཾ་བི་ཤྭ་བི་ཤུད་དྷེ It's definitely not science but science may provide guidelines nevertheless.
PeterC86

Re: On Your Way Home - A Road to Nirvana for the West

Post by PeterC86 »

I have one more thing to add; those who have been indoctrinated don't know that they have been indoctrinated, else they would not be indoctrinated. Theravada is a doctrine, and what you get is the blind leading the blind.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

PeterC86 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:26 am I have one more thing to add; ...
I guess there will be a number of more things you will have to add ... after all there is much at stake for you, right?
Exhaling अ and inhaling धीः amounts to བྷྲཱུཾ་བི་ཤྭ་བི་ཤུད་དྷེ It's definitely not science but science may provide guidelines nevertheless.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

PeterC86 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:26 am I have one more thing to add; those who have been indoctrinated don't know that they have been indoctrinated, else they would not be indoctrinated. Theravada is a doctrine, and what you get is the blind leading the blind.
:roll: this is against sangha which will incur bad karma so pls change ur view
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

PeterC86 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:26 am I have one more thing to add; those who have been indoctrinated don't know that they have been indoctrinated, else they would not be indoctrinated. Theravada is a doctrine, and what you get is the blind leading the blind.
If Theravada is “The Way of the Elders” and at least some of those Elders are awakened then it isn’t the case that we have the blind leading the blind. Even if there isn’t even a stream-enterer among the elders, at the very least they transmitted what came from the Buddha. Suttas being our guide, once again there isn’t the blind leading the blind.
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paññaṃ nappamajjeyya, saccamanurakkheyya, cāgamanubrūheyya, santimeva so sikkheyyā’ti

“One should not neglect wisdom, should preserve truth, cultivate relinquishment and train for peace.”

Dhātuvibhaṅga Sutta
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Today I read such things and laugh.
I also laugh when someone doubts Buddha-Dhamma, enlightenment, stages of enlightenment, karma and other things.

I started to understand why advanced people on the path like teachers in general keep things in secrecy and only share them when asked or when they find very convenient.

I now understand why the Buddha almost gave up teaching the Dhamma. If that Brahma God had not asked him to do so, we would probably be doomed now.
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17