forex trading and buddhism

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
confusedlayman

forex trading and buddhism

Post by confusedlayman »

is forex trading and making quick cash is against dhamma? I am planning to buy stocks in mc donald which sells meat product.. should i buy elsewhere...
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SarathW

Re: forex trading and buddhism

Post by SarathW »

According to Parabhava Sutta, Buddha advises laypeople do not involve in gambling.
It is not gambling If you use forward exchange for your business.
But speculation is a form of gambling.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

SarathW wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:42 am According to Parabhava Sutta, Buddha advises laypeople do not involve in gambling.
It is not gambling If you use forward exchange for your business.
But speculation is a form of gambling.
Hi, sorry

I dont know if its gambling or not. its is analytical analysis but not 100% sure.. can you tell me as I am bagging some profit for enhancing my financial freedom
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

confusedlayman wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:27 am is forex trading and making quick cash is against dhamma?
no
confusedlayman wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:41 am I dont know if its gambling or not.
its not gambling because any money you make is taxable & because the contracts or instruments traded are valued on commercial realities
confusedlayman wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:27 amI am planning to buy stocks in mc donald which sells meat product.. should i buy elsewhere...
study nagarjuna superstition yet don't appear to know the most basic dhamma morality about reflection on non-harming the buddha taught to his 7 year old son, here: Instructions to Rahula at Mango Stone

mcdonalds food is generally bad for people. that is reason enough to not own shares in mcdonalds. for example, i buy stocks in companies that help diabetics avoid kidney disease or help people use less medicines that can have side effects
Eating at McDonald’s... problem is that there is so much sodium and fat in these foods that it can create cravings. The more you eat McDonald’s food, then the more addicted you become. This can soon lead to obesity.

Although it is a growing problem globally, obesity from McDonald’s is primarily an American problem. 25% of Americans will visit a fast food restaurant today. French fries are the most commonly eaten vegetable. This all leads up to future health problems that we may not be ready to face. It’s no wonder why 40% of kids today are expected to be diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.

https://brandongaille.com/29-important- ... tatistics/
:pig:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

DooDoot wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:41 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:27 am is forex trading and making quick cash is against dhamma?
no
confusedlayman wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:41 am I dont know if its gambling or not.
its not gambling because any money you make is taxable & because the contracts or instruments traded are valued on commercial realities
confusedlayman wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:27 amI am planning to buy stocks in mc donald which sells meat product.. should i buy elsewhere...
study nagarjuna superstition yet don't appear to know the most basic dhamma morality about reflection on non-harming the buddha taught to his 7 year old son, here: Instructions to Rahula at Mango Stone

mcdonalds food is generally bad for people. that is reason enough to not own shares in mcdonalds. for example, i buy stocks in companies that help diabetics avoid kidney disease or help people use less medicines that can have side effects
Eating at McDonald’s... problem is that there is so much sodium and fat in these foods that it can create cravings. The more you eat McDonald’s food, then the more addicted you become. This can soon lead to obesity.

Although it is a growing problem globally, obesity from McDonald’s is primarily an American problem. 25% of Americans will visit a fast food restaurant today. French fries are the most commonly eaten vegetable. This all leads up to future health problems that we may not be ready to face. It’s no wonder why 40% of kids today are expected to be diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.

https://brandongaille.com/29-important- ... tatistics/
:pig:
thanks doodoot... well clear
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There is also the consideration that by choosing to invest in McDonalds you are profiting from the trade in meat, which would be a wrong livelihood (as would buying shares in weapons or alcohol manufactures or retailers).
Vaṇijjā Suttaṃ wrote: Businesses ((A.iii.208))
177. “These five businesses, monks, should not be engaged in by a lay disciple. What five? Business in weapons (satthavaṇijjā), business in living beings (sattavaṇijjā), business in flesh (maṃsavaṇijjā), business in intoxicants (majjavaṇijjā), business in poisons (visavaṇijjā). These five businesses, monks, should not be engaged in by a lay disciple.”
It would be better to invest in a business that helps people in a positive way.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

We've discussed this on here previously and is a interesting and befuddling issue. Forex trading from what I have seen is basically gambling and speculation. It is not quick cash and the people you are trading against as a retail trader are going to be far smarter than you unless you went to finance school or had a internship at a exchange. As far as the stock market, frequent trading is close to gambling. Investing which is long term holding is a better approach, but finding purely ethical companies individually can be very difficult. I wouldn't own any individual stocks at all or throw my support behind a individual company at all unless I was able to be certain of their practices. I only own mutual funds which invest in the entire economy. Sadly, even efforts to make "socially responsible funds" often include companies of questionable ethics (weapons, alcohol, meat, etc) in quite large percentages. Plus, unethical companies frequently conceal their bad practices.

As far as McDonalds go, it is involved in the meat trade, so right there is enough to make a decision as to whether it is right livelihood or not. Assuming you are trying to be engaged in right livelihood.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:33 pm There is also the consideration that by choosing to invest in McDonalds you are profiting from the trade in meat, which would be a wrong livelihood (as would buying shares in weapons or alcohol manufactures or retailers).
177. “These five businesses, monks, should not be engaged in by a lay disciple. What five? Business in weapons (satthavaṇijjā), business in living beings (sattavaṇijjā), business in flesh (maṃsavaṇijjā), business in intoxicants (majjavaṇijjā), business in poisons (visavaṇijjā). These five businesses, monks, should not be engaged in by a lay disciple.”
Thanks bhikku

I didnt buy but planned but now changed my ideas. Thanks
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:33 pm There is also the consideration that by choosing to invest in McDonalds you are profiting from the trade in meat, which would be a wrong livelihood (as would buying shares in weapons or alcohol manufactures or retailers).
How about eating Mc. Donald burger with meat?
We do not know where our super funds and managed funds to invest our money in.
What about supermarkets sell meat products?
What about shoe shops sell leather products?
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:20 pm We do not know where our super funds and managed funds to invest our money in.
sīlabbata-parāmāsa :shrug:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

DooDoot wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:05 pm
SarathW wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:20 pm We do not know where our super funds and managed funds to invest our money in.
I am disappointed you used Silabbatha-paramasa in the wrong context.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

SarathW wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:02 am
DooDoot wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:05 pm
I am disappointed you used Silabbatha-paramasa in the wrong context.
Invest in private hospitals
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:02 am I am disappointed you used Silabbatha-paramasa in the wrong context.
Sounds like you are suffering. Generally, if you must join a compulsory industry or work superfund, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to control where the money is invested. Worrying about this appears to be silabbatha-paramasa.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

DooDoot wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:58 am
SarathW wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:02 am I am disappointed you used Silabbatha-paramasa in the wrong context.
Sounds like you are suffering. Generally, if you must join a compulsory industry or work superfund, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to control where the money is invested. Worrying about this appears to be silabbatha-paramasa.
No.
Silabbatha-Paramasa means the though that you can attain Nibbana by not investing in Mc Donalds.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

should I pay tax to government if i earn big in future? not paying tax is against dhamma?