Hi, i’m looking for some information about monastic life

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Samuel Vega

Hi, i’m looking for some information about monastic life

Post by Samuel Vega »

Hi, folks. 😊 Skip the first few paragraphs to get straight to the questions.

I suppose a little backstory is likely helpful or possibly interesting. I started meditating what I consider hard-core about 2.5 years ago, and the way it has been changing my life is so beautiful. Truly, everything that I thought I understood is being re-defined, and that leaves me questioning the main thrust of where/how my life has been directed up until now.

I’m almost 50, and I have what most people in the world would consider a very easy, privileged and peaceful life. More money than I need, an easy job, nice family and friends. The thing is, none of these things, separately or collectively, have ever brought me lasting happiness. I just have the growing feeling that I could squeeze the world as hard and as long as I wanted, and the juice of real happiness would never drip from it.

This, combined with what my spiritual practices are showing me, has led me more and more to wonder if I could just stop doing what I know won’t bring me true happiness, and start being totally dedicated to what I feel will bring it. I mean, I could possibly keep the laylife status quo, work another 15 years, and maybe awaken during that time, but I know that the chances are much better if I have the courage of my convictions, and remove myself from the life that acts to keep me enthralled with worldly and personal gain. It seems everything in my life, including not being married or having kids, is directing me toward monastic life and toward answering the deep questions of existence.
====================

Questions:

1) am I getting too old to become a monk? A couple people said that 60 was the cap for many monasteries, and that some cap it at 50, but I haven’t investigated it deeply.

2) I live in the USA right now, and I would be open to monasteries here or anywhere abroad. I know some monasteries stress meditation more than others, and those are the ones that I would consider the most. Having people around who are very familiar with the stages of breath meditation would be ideal. What are some monasteries that fit this description and also allow men in their early 50s?

Thank you if you read all of this, I didn’t really mean to write all that, just sort of came out. I thought I had more questions to ask, but that’s probably enough for right now. I’m also open to answering any questions. Thanks again😊
Chanh Dao

Re: Hi, i’m looking for some information about monastic life

Post by Chanh Dao »

You can look into the Pa Auk tradition in Myanmar
Samuel Vega

Post by Samuel Vega »

Chanh Dao wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:55 pm You can look into the Pa Auk tradition in Myanmar
OK, I will do that, thank you! Yes I’ve heard of him, big name in jhana teaching.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

From what I have heard of other's in your situation, asia is probably the best place to look-- Thailand and Burma. Although there are some great monasteries in the states who ordain many monks, they do look to avoid ordaining men in their 40s and 50s. Burma in particular has a reputation for supporting anyone who wants to ordain no matter the age and health. In Burma, there is a bit more of a focus of having a lay supporter who looks after them than in Thailand. Its great you have a amenable situation to ordination and have the intention to do so. Do it!! :anjali:
Samuel Vega

Post by Samuel Vega »

dharmacorps wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:00 pm From what I have heard of other's in your situation, asia is probably the best place to look-- Thailand and Burma.......
Thank you very much! I didn’t realize that US monasteries generally are the age-restrictive ones. And yes, I would imagine that my situation is unusually suited for transition into monastic life. Seems everything is pointing me in that direction.
Chanh Dao

Post by Chanh Dao »

Samuel Vega wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:19 pm Hi, folks. 😊 Skip the first few paragraphs to get straight to the questions.

I suppose a little backstory is likely helpful or possibly interesting. I started meditating what I consider hard-core about 2.5 years ago, and the way it has been changing my life is so beautiful. Truly, everything that I thought I understood is being re-defined, and that leaves me questioning the main thrust of where/how my life has been directed up until now.

I’m almost 50, and I have what most people in the world would consider a very easy, privileged and peaceful life. More money than I need, an easy job, nice family and friends. The thing is, none of these things, separately or collectively, have ever brought me lasting happiness. I just have the growing feeling that I could squeeze the world as hard and as long as I wanted, and the juice of real happiness would never drip from it.

This, combined with what my spiritual practices are showing me, has led me more and more to wonder if I could just stop doing what I know won’t bring me true happiness, and start being totally dedicated to what I feel will bring it. I mean, I could possibly keep the laylife status quo, work another 15 years, and maybe awaken during that time, but I know that the chances are much better if I have the courage of my convictions, and remove myself from the life that acts to keep me enthralled with worldly and personal gain. It seems everything in my life, including not being married or having kids, is directing me toward monastic life and toward answering the deep questions of existence.
====================

Questions:

1) am I getting too old to become a monk? A couple people said that 60 was the cap for many monasteries, and that some cap it at 50, but I haven’t investigated it deeply.

2) I live in the USA right now, and I would be open to monasteries here or anywhere abroad. I know some monasteries stress meditation more than others, and those are the ones that I would consider the most. Having people around who are very familiar with the stages of breath meditation would be ideal. What are some monasteries that fit this description and also allow men in their early 50s?

Thank you if you read all of this, I didn’t really mean to write all that, just sort of came out. I thought I had more questions to ask, but that’s probably enough for right now. I’m also open to answering any questions. Thanks again😊

Your best bet is to reach out to monastics and let them know you want to ordain. You can look into the local temples as far as you can find. Start visiting them and discussing this interest. Basically any buddhist temples in your area and beyond. You may need to do some leg work to find out where they are.

Go there yourself and discuss with senior members of the Sangha your intention and get advice and council directly from them.
Suranga

Post by Suranga »

Even though you were meditating and practicing dhamma..transitioning from lay life to monastic life is a big change. I myself experienced that and in the beginning you might not like the new life. Even though you dream to become a monk the change might be bit rough. I went to PA-Auk and Na -Uyana sri lanka and both are very good places. We found a Pa-Auk branch monestary in myanmar which we liked a lot. Both me and my wife also planing to ordain in future. So after the pandemic we planing to go there. What ever you do ..DONT CUT ALL YOUR FINANCIAL LIFE LINE UNTIL YOU 100% SURE YOU CAN STAY IN THE MONASTIC LIFE.The only way you can be 100% sure is by only staying in that life for couple of years. Normally 5 years or so.May be a good option is to travel these places and try staying there for many months. If you can't stay many months in a place also means YOU CAN'T STAY AS A MONK FOR YEARS IN THERE. Becoming a monk physically and becoming a monk mentally is too different thing.When you become a monk mentaly that only brings you the true happiness in the monk life. Until that you will suffer in that life.Even in lay life we suffer right? Having money and power won't bring you peace. If you can ordain both physically and mentaly then the monk life will definetly brings the peace we searching for.I saw a glimpse of that life. But I couldn't hold on to it.Because of the defilements I had. I guess I wasn't ready that time. MAY BE NEXT TIME. Fingers crossed.Hope I am right.
Last edited by Suranga on Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

I browsed this site a couple days ago.

Theravada Dhamma Society of America
the Sitagu Buddha Vihara
Austin, TX

http://sitagu.org/austin/About/about.html
http://sitagu.org/austin/About/Cintita/Cintita.html
One of the presiding venerables, I think.
Ashin Cintita (aka Bhikkhu Cintita Dinsmore)
... born John Dinsmore in San Francisco,
... a PhD in linguistics at the University of California at San Diego, and an MS in computer science at Kansas University.
...a professor of Computer Science at Southern Illinois University at Carbondale.

... spent one and a half years at Tassajara Zen Monastery in California, ...ordained as a Zen priest in 2003 ...
... In 2009, at the invitation of Ashin Ariyadhamma, Ashin Cintita traveled to Myanmar and was ordained as a bhikkhu by Sitagu Sayadaw. He lived in Myanmar for thirteen months before returning to Austin.

Staying at Sitagu Buddhist Vihara

http://sitagu.org/austin/Attractions/re ... using.html

:heart:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa