MN 33 pīti (rapture) vs. pītaṃ (being drunk as liquid), error in B. Sujato translation?

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
frank k

MN 33 pīti (rapture) vs. pītaṃ (being drunk as liquid), error in B. Sujato translation?

Post by frank k »

https://notesonthedhamma.blogspot.com/2 ... drunk.html

I've always wondered about the connection between drinking liquid , or being saturated with it, and rapture as a jhana and bodhi anga factor. In the Dhammapada also I recall a verse where it seemed to me to be clearly referring to rapture, but B. Buddharakkhita translated piti there as 'drunk'.

Can anyone shed more light on the connection between the two piti ? they have different roots, so I assume the Buddha was making a pun on those words.

Can someone confirm B. Sujato has made an error? Perhaps he's aware of the two different roots, but he has some other reasoning in his translation for MN 33. I recall he also thinks jhana (as burning fire) and jhana (as meditation) are the same, even though I believe PED has different roots for them.
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
frank k

Re: MN 33 pīti (rapture) vs. pītaṃ (being drunk as liquid), error in B. Sujato translation?

Post by frank k »

I've updated the article in the OP with all the pīti occurrences in KN Dhp dhammapada. (pali + english side by side, keywords highlighted)

Of special interest is this one:
Here is looks like both root types of piiti is used.
Although pivam and pitvaa are not in the PED DPR conjugation tables.

KN Dhp 205:
♦ 205.
♦ pavivekarasaṃ pitvā VAR,
Having savored the taste of solitude and peace (of Nibbana),
rasaṃ upasamassa ca.
pain-free and stainless he becomes,
♦ niddaro hoti nippāpo,
drinking deep the taste of
dhamma-pīti-rasaṃ pivaṃ.
the bliss of the Truth.
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages