An active moderator shouldn't enter debate

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Spiny Norman

Re: An active moderator shouldn't enter debate

Post by Spiny Norman »

m0rl0ck wrote: Like many of the rest of us they are mostly sane most of the time. :) and imo the dhammawheel mods do great job compared to some buddhist boards i have seen.
I think a strength of Dhamma Wheel is that there is a team of mods. I think problems can arise on forums where there is only one active mod or admin running things.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
binocular

Post by binocular »

dhammapal wrote: Sun May 18, 2014 8:03 amMy suggestion is that an active moderator should be detached from the desire to win an argument. A moderator should be allowed to enter debate but only if give up their role as an authority figure and arrange for another moderator who is neutral to make judgements as to the appropriateness of posts.
At the very least, there should be more clarity about when a member of the staff is posting in his official function and when he isn't. Without that, we just never know which of his roles is currently in effect, and thus how to respond appropriately.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Much has occurred in the intervening 6 years since this thread was active. Other than recurring personal enmities with moderators, is there a reason this discussion needs to be resurrected?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

binocular wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:06 pm
dhammapal wrote: Sun May 18, 2014 8:03 amMy suggestion is that an active moderator should be detached from the desire to win an argument. A moderator should be allowed to enter debate but only if give up their role as an authority figure and arrange for another moderator who is neutral to make judgements as to the appropriateness of posts.
At the very east, there should be more clarity about when a member of the staff is posting in his official function and when he isn't. Without that, we just never know which of his roles is currently in effect, and thus how to respond appropriately.
I tend to agree with you considering the past experience of this forum but not necessarily now.
It is awkward to debate with moderators. If you are a new member specially.
The moderators can delete the post he/she does not agree with his/her personal opinon.
I think present moderators in this forum are much more broad minded people but still it is better to clarify this in the terms of services.
I think moderators can provide information or reference materials to members or make it neutral to say that it their opinion. Debatiing moderator should not allow to delete the posts.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
binocular wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:06 pm At the very least, there should be more clarity about when a member of the staff is posting in his official function and when he isn't. Without that, we just never know which of his roles is currently in effect, and thus how to respond appropriately.
As a general rule, if it relates to the Terms of Service or trying to keep people on-topic, that's an act of moderation. Otherwise, not.

But if you're ever in doubt, ask. Either way, the moderator must comply with the Terms of Service, whether by acts of speech or moderation.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

SarathW wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:33 pm The moderators can delete the post he/she does not agree with his/her personal opinon.
Debatiing moderator should not allow to delete the posts.
I remember my thread on color problem that i tried to address was locked by David .
Actually he only have to inform that he could try to restore it and no need to lock it totally because i am not asking anyone to satisfy me but this is the fact people are biased , but since he has the powers and this is his forum therefore it seems abusing of powers are not something alien . It is obvious many people including him might have favouratism , discrimination and with powers oppress the powerless and intelligent bully the unintelligent . Even if they are long term practioner they are not free from commiting wrong action .
You always gain by giving
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

sentinel wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:39 am . It is obvious many people including him might have favouratism , discrimination and with powers oppress the powerless and intelligent bully the unintelligent . Even if they are long term practioner they are not free from commiting wrong action
And indeed that goes for you and me as well, sentinel. Probably none of us here are perfect beings, even though we might aspire to lofty goals....and its thanks to the kindness and dedication of other people running an internet forum that we're even able to have this conversation.

:anjali:
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Aloka wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:09 pm
sentinel wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:39 am . It is obvious many people including him might have favouratism , discrimination and with powers oppress the powerless and intelligent bully the unintelligent . Even if they are long term practioner they are not free from commiting wrong action
And indeed that goes for you and me as well, sentinel. Probably none of us here are perfect beings, even though we might aspire to lofty goals....and its thanks to the kindness and dedication of other people running an internet forum that we're even able to have this conversation.

:anjali:
Do u have problems with me ? What are ypu trying to say ? Are you defending him ? Do you then think one must accept being bullies and say nothing and be thankful because someone done something good to us ? Are you not happy that someone speak out something wrong happens ? Maybe we should swept it under the carpets ? What if it constantly happens to you or someone else ? The point here is some other members raised that the moderators has special powers over regular members and sometimes being biased and abuses the powers that it should be avoided and rectified . We are talking about regular members being oppressed do you see this ? This has nothing to do with thanking moderators , these are two different matters . Please think rationally and please dont mix up the issues .
Last edited by sentinel on Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The moderators are doing an excellent job, they are some of the more civil and well-behaved members of this forum, and do a great job at separating their moderating power from their personal opinion. I may disagree with some of their personal opinions, but rarely with their moderation.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Dont mix up the sensible moderation with abusing powers accompany by biases . It is like saying we are thankful to the goverment members who serves the country but that does not mean when they abuses their powers and commited misconduct it should not be brought out to get rectification . Dont tell us in Buddhism there is no human rights ?!

Btw , thanks to the moderators for your services and the forums .
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

sentinel wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:52 pm
Do u have problems with me ? What are ypu trying to say ? Are you defending him ? Are you not happy that someone speak out something wrong happens ? Maybe we should swept it under the carpets ? What if it constantly happens to you or someone else ? The point here is some other members raised that the moderators has special powers over regular members and sometimes being biased and abuses the powers that it should be avoided and rectified . We are talking about regular members being oppressed do you see this ? This has nothing to do with thanking moderators , these are two different matters . Please think rationally and please dont mix up the issues .
Why are you getting angry with me, aren't you able to have a relaxed conversation without arguing? I'm a regular member here and I'm not being oppressed by the staff at Dhamma Wheel, nor am I being irrational right now.

Its getting near to bedtime in my part of the world, so I'll bid you goodnight.

:hello:
Last edited by Aloka on Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Aloka wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:12 pm
Why are you getting angry with me, aren't you able to have a relaxed conversation without arguing? I'm a regular member here and I'm not being oppressed by the staff at Dhamma Wheel, nor am I being irrational right now.

Its getting near to bedtime in my part of the world, so I'll bid you "Goodnight and mind the bugs don't bite." as my dear departed old grandfather used to say.

:zzz:
Haha , very funny . You are not the one being oppressed . Please dont tag my post and converse with me anymore . Goodbye . Sayonara .

:jawdrop:
Last edited by sentinel on Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

sentinel wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:14 pm Haha , very funny . You are being selfish then because you are not the one being oppressed . Please dont converse with me anymore . Goodbye . Sayonara .
You are oppressed because the colors of the forum topic got locked?

Many times topics get locked, especially if it the topic has become a repetition of "beating a dead horse" so to speak (no, not literally).

Let it go . . . .

sentinel

Post by sentinel »

DNS wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:19 pm
Let it go . . . .
Nop , that is not the main point . You should let it go . I am just joining the discussion to help improving the forum quality . Anyway i already addressed the Main Point .
《《《Suggestion box
Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.》》》

Happy Monday .

:lol:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

sentinel wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:21 pm Happy Monday .
Es feliz domingo aqui.

(It's happy sunday here.) :tongue: