No self and self not exist

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
sentinel

No self and self not exist

Post by sentinel »

Dear forum ,

Anatta commonly translated as "no self" or "not self" . Does natthattā’ti (self does not exist) is the same as anatta ?

Thanks

When Vacchagotta asked me whether the self does not exist absolutely, if I had answered that ‘the self does not exist absolutely’ I would have been siding with the ascetics and brahmins who are annihilationists.
Ahañcānanda, vacchagottassa paribbājakassa ‘natthattā’ti puṭṭho samāno ‘natthattā’ti byākareyyaṃ, ye te, ānanda, samaṇabrāhmaṇā ucchedavādā tesametaṃ saddhiṃ abhavissa.
You always gain by giving
rhinoceroshorn

Re: No self and self not exist

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

I don't like those translations because, like dukkha, samadhi, and sati, respectively suffering, concentration, and mindfulness, don't express fully what they mean in Pāḷi and create many unnecessary implications.
For anattā, I prefer impersonality, as Venerable Nyanatiloka uses in his book. As for samadhi, I prefer just translating as 4 jhānas (as they are taught in the suttas, not the commentarial development). As for sati, I prefer remembrance/alertness. As for dukkha, leave it as dukkha.

If you use 'impersonality' you instantly understand what it means, instead of pondering the implications of NOT SELF. :coffee:
Forget about self, remember dependent origination and how everything is a process.
Last edited by rhinoceroshorn on Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

sentinel wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:13 pm Does natthattā’ti (self does not exist) is the same as anatta ?
"self does not exist" is not the same as "x is not self".
SteRo wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:43 am So the core message is appropriate:
Form is not self, the self does not as possess form, form is not in the self, the self is not in form.
Feeling is not self, the self does not as possess feeling, feeling is not in the self, the self is not in feeling.
Perception is not self, the self does not as possess perception, perception is not in the self, the self is not in perception.
Fabrication is not self, the self does not as possess fabrication, fabrication is not in the self, the self is not in fabrication.
Consciousness is not self, the self does not as possess consciousness, consciousness is not in the self, the self is not in consciousness.

And:
The eye is not me, is not my self, this is not what I am.'
Form is not me, is not my self, this is not what I am.'
Consciousness is not me, is not my self, this is not what I am.'
Eye contact is not me, is not my self, this is not what I am.'
Feeling is not me, is not my self, this is not what I am.'
Craving is not me, is not my self, this is not what I am.'

And the same as to the ear, the nose, the tongue, the body, the intellect.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... l#selfview
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... tml#selfid
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:31 pm I don't like those translations because, like dukkha, samadhi, and sati, respectively suffering, concentration, and mindfulness, don't express fully what they mean in Pāḷi and create many unnecessary implications.
For anattā, I prefer impersonality, as Venerable Nyanatiloka uses in his book. As for samadhi, I prefer just translating as 4 jhānas (as they are taught in the suttas, not the commentarial development). As for sati, I prefer remembrance/alertness. As for dukkha, leave it as dukkha.

If you use 'impersonality' you instantly understand what it means, instead of pondering the implications of NOT SELF. :coffee:
Forget about self, remember dependent origination and how everything is a process.
Lord Budda expressed the same thing in different ways depending on the psychology of the person in his presence.
If we have a question then we have so many answers from buddas to select the most suitable for us. To understand self or not self we have anatta lakkana sutta, sammadiththi sutta and the best of all Paticca samuppada and many more like Mana sutta. Please read all and select the one that fits.
takso

Post by takso »

There is self; just leave out the ownership of it..
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

takso wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:16 am There is self; just leave out the ownership of it..
if there is self how its possible to leave owner ship?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
form

Post by form »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:31 pm I don't like those translations because, like dukkha, samadhi, and sati, respectively suffering, concentration, and mindfulness, don't express fully what they mean in Pāḷi and create many unnecessary implications.

:goodpost:
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

form wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:54 pm

Most translations from Pali to English was done by Dr.Rhys David, as a linguist yet a non buddhist. I have seen references that his translations always do not carry the exact meaning.
Rev. Punnaji Thero has corrected some of these translations meaningfully. In fact vedana is a term which should mean feeling , beyond dukka, sukha but also a touch on the mind of a Rupa ( external or internal) which creates a 'mano,' signal of a person which creates a reaction (Sankara,) that created a cognition ( vingnana,) , so said as Rupa, vedana, sangna, sankara, vingnana in re-cognising a concept or object.
Another word in abhidamma which needs attention is phassa as shown by rev. Punnaji.
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

justindesilva wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:23 pm

Most translations from Pali to English was done by Dr.Rhys David, as a linguist yet a non buddhist. I have seen references that his translations always do not carry the exact meaning.
Rev. Punnaji Thero has corrected some of these translations meaningfully. In fact vedana is a term which should mean feeling , beyond dukka, sukha but also a touch on the mind of a Rupa ( external or internal) which creates a 'mano,' signal of a person which creates a reaction (Sankara,) that created a cognition ( vingnana,) , so said as Rupa, vedana, sangna, sankara, vingnana in re-cognising a concept or object.
Another word in abhidamma which needs attention is phassa as shown by rev. Punnaji.
Thanks for this information.
A long time since I noticed how those translations only make everything confusing.
I'll start to retranslate them ALL to fit my purposes. :thumbsup:
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
form

Post by form »

justindesilva wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:23 pm

What about bhikkhu bodhi and thanisarro English translation in general?
takso

Post by takso »

confusedlayman wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:16 am
takso wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:16 am There is self; just leave out the ownership of it..
if there is self how its possible to leave owner ship?
Well, one can still go to the cinema to watch movies without owning the copyrights of the movies or the cinema. :juggling:
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

takso wrote: :juggling:
but you're not juggling Buddhist ideas
StrivingforMonkhood

Post by StrivingforMonkhood »

We exist as a self in conventional reality, but we do not exist as a self in ultimate reality. That's how it is has been explained to me. We find the balance of the two - or the Middle Way - when we are conducting our lives.

Peace and enlightenment :anjali:
May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness

We are already Buddha
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Self and no-self are self doctrines

The Discourse on the Not-self Characteristic
Bhikkhus, consciousness is not self. Were consciousness self, then this consciousness would not lead to affliction, and one could have it of consciousness: 'Let my consciousness be thus, let my consciousness be not thus.' And since consciousness is not-self, so it leads to affliction, and none can have it of consciousness: 'Let my consciousness be thus, let my consciousness be not thus.'
takso

Post by takso »

There is no self, it is the result of an ultimate point of view;
There is a self, it is the result of a conventional point of view;
There is non-self, it is the result of an ultimate-cum- conventional point of view;

In the absence of creation, there would be no destruction; there is nothing lingers for annihilation.